Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Camera on Top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tap the tab at bottom left.

IMG_5087.jpg
IMG_5088.jpg

The other downside is you can't see navigation. Please Tesla, allow me to have camera on top and nav on bottom, like I have had since 2013! The rear view mirror just isn't anywhere near as clear as the camera - even more so at night. And I dislike my eyes having to traverse so far down when attempting e.g. a lane change. It is nice having the side mirrors & rear camera view on about the same horizontal plane to scan across.

For the first time an update has made my car's UI "LESS CAPABLE" than it was. Anyone hazard a guess as to why the "forced" NAV on center screen? It makes sense perhaps for a Model 3 which has only one screen??

I'd much rather have the top half of the screen real estate available for what I want up there. Hopefully Tesla will give us back that functionality (not holding my breath though)

Where's the "uninstall" button?? lol!!

if you dont have the camera app up before you put it in reverse, the rear camera will be on top without having to hit any buttons.

Only while in Reverse...what a lot of people want back is the ability to leave it the camera app on the top of the screen and Nav or whatever other app open on the bottom half of the screen.

I don't understand why they didn't create a setting/option to leave the view the way it used to be, like a "legacy view" setting or something like that. From a development/OS perspective, I don't think it would have been that difficult to keep the old top app/bottom app view as an option, while the current v9 Nav always open view as the default.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
The other downside is you can't see navigation. Please Tesla, allow me to have camera on top and nav on bottom, like I have had since 2013! The rear view mirror just isn't anywhere near as clear as the camera - even more so at night. And I dislike my eyes having to traverse so far down when attempting e.g. a lane change. It is nice having the side mirrors & rear camera view on about the same horizontal plane to scan across.
I view V9 as a downgrade for this reason alone. (I'm avoiding downloading V9 to my hardware 1 Model X) This is more than a convenience issue. It is a safety issue. I understand that a recent update allows you to drag the rear camera screen to the top and cover the map! How is this an improvement? The split screen with the rear view on top and the NAV map on the bottom was optimal. Tesla, how about giving this back in the next update.

Reactions: tccartier
I view V9 as a downgrade for this reason alone. (I'm avoiding downloading V9 to my hardware 1 Model X) This is more than a convenience issue. It is a safety issue. I understand that a recent update allows you to drag the rear camera screen to the top and cover the map! How is this an improvement? The split screen with the rear view on top and the NAV map on the bottom was optimal. Tesla, how about giving this back in the next update.

The rear camera view is now back at the top as default in V9, as it was in V8. Has been for ages, so this problem is history.

I don't understand why they didn't create a setting/option to leave the view the way it used to be, like a "legacy view" setting or something like that. From a development/OS perspective, I don't think it would have been that difficult to keep the old top app/bottom app view as an option, while the current v9 Nav always open view as the default.

I think you missed the point about what Tesla is trying to do. The whole point of V9 is to unify Model S/3/X to one UI rather than have two or three different OS's. Because of that, they had to simplify and just adding a "setting" to leave it the way it was is not an option, because they rewrote a lot of the new OS (9) from scratch ;)

• Disagree
Reactions: uuxxaa
I think you missed the point about what Tesla is trying to do. The whole point of V9 is to unify Model S/3/X to one UI rather than have two or three different OS's. Because of that, they had to simplify and just adding a "setting" to leave it the way it was is not an option, because they rewrote a lot of the new OS (9) from scratch ;)

No, I understand the point and it is a reasonable "utopia" to get all three vehicles to have the same OS layout and features. However, the reality is Model S and X have a different screen orientation and layouts than Model 3. That, in itself, would require them to have multiple versions of the OS, which they did and even if slightly different than Model 3. Having the camera remain on top as a default would not have been all that more difficult. They were able to add this option back with a point release shortly after V9 was released, so clearly they were able to do it without a lot of variation from the original V9 release.

Reactions: 1375mlm