Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9: cars invisible when directly to the side

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, I think calling it a 360 view isn't accurate, as it doesn't show any cars directly behind you....
I'm going to have to take that back. It DOES show cars directly behind you, but only when they are almost up your a**. I finally saw it in stopped traffic when a car is right behind you. It disappears when the car is more than 6-10' behind you so there's no way you're seeing it anywhere on the highway...

After taking my first drive with V9 over the weekend, I noticed that cars which are directly next to me seem to be in a camera/sensor blind spot and disappear from the 360 view in the dash. Is this a problem with my car's cameras/sensors, or is this working as intended?

I probably need to make a short video clip. But as best as I can explain it, it seems to happen most when overtaking speed is very low. The car to the side will disappear for a while, which is inversely proportional to the rate of overtaking. Eg, it will see a car to might front right, I will slowly over take. As I pull next to it, the car will "disapppear". Then as I continue to overtake, it will re-appear slightly behind me. I noticed this several times as I slowly overtook and was overtaken in congested traffic. Its like a car passed into a blind spot between the cameras and then the AI "forgot" about it until it passed out of the blind spot and was noticed again.

Version 1 software. They will iron out glitches like this. My BMW shows me 30 feet tall when I walk by the side of the car. It is because of the extreme fisheye lens they put in the mirrors to get a 360 view

My side view is giving me false semis. When I pull into my garage, it always shows a semi, that tracks with me, on the right side where the wall is. Yikes!!

Also on small country roads with no lane markers at all, car still displays lane markers. I am quite curious how navigation determines where lanes should be. Is it basing it off of the satellite map of the road should be and dividing it in half down the middle?

I do like the new navigation and maps. Still getting used to new locations for menu options.

My side view is giving me false semis. When I pull into my garage, it always shows a semi, that tracks with me, on the right side where the wall is. Yikes!!

Mine does this also. As someone who works in Machine Learning, I think I understand what is going on. Their model looks at the data and returns the probability that the object it sees one of the following: nothing, regular car, SUV, motorcycle, or truck. The way the model was trained anything big and hulking near the side of a car has a high probably of being a truck, so it draws a truck.

For a more fun explanation see this video. NSFW

Reactions: DanCar and tmxninja

Last night mine did this, combined with a phantom pedestrian, which I think must have been my collection of rakes, snowshovels, and pole saws piled in the corner of my garage. At first I thought somebody was in the garage in my blind spot.

• Funny
Reactions: tmxninja
After taking my first drive with V9 over the weekend, I noticed that cars which are directly next to me seem to be in a camera/sensor blind spot and disappear from the 360 view in the dash. Is this a problem with my car's cameras/sensors, or is this working as intended?

I probably need to make a short video clip. But as best as I can explain it, it seems to happen most when overtaking speed is very low. The car to the side will disappear for a while, which is inversely proportional to the rate of overtaking. Eg, it will see a car to might front right, I will slowly over take. As I pull next to it, the car will "disapppear". Then as I continue to overtake, it will re-appear slightly behind me. I noticed this several times as I slowly overtook and was overtaken in congested traffic. Its like a car passed into a blind spot between the cameras and then the AI "forgot" about it until it passed out of the blind spot and was noticed again.
Agree.
I have same issues. Not comforting. Hopefully gets ironed out. My dash is dancing and frankly it distracting.

Version 1 software. They will iron out glitches like this. My BMW shows me 30 feet tall when I walk by the side of the car. It is because of the extreme fisheye lens they put in the mirrors to get a 360 view
Still wish they put in a birdseye view like Nissan Leaf. Even at 30 feet. The relative is what matters when parking in a tight spot. Anything greater than zero means you haven't hit .

Still wish they put in a birdseye view like Nissan Leaf. Even at 30 feet. The relative is what matters when parking in a tight spot. Anything greater than zero means you haven't hit .

After having birds eye view in the X3 I was surprised when they did not have it the Model X. Just like you I used it to park.

Actually, if you ask my wife I overused it. I would pull in and out a couple times to ensure I was centered in the spot and perfectly parallel to the lines.;)

Reactions: LukasSwan

When I first skimmed the V9 release notes, I misread the new "Full 360° View" as being exactly this feature. It would be nice if we had this, along with the BSM / AP2 360 view. While we're wishing for things, I also wish we had a lower or downward facing front camera. I always back into spots because I'm worried the ultrasonics may miss a curb that's high enough to damage the underside of my front end. I rode with a friend in his Audi, and was really jealous of his front cam.

This is the first release using the side cameras - and we should expect this to be unstable for a while.

The earlier releases of the AP2 software had issues properly detecting the lane lines - with the lane lines often dancing on the dashboard (even when stopped at an intersection), and while on AutoSteer, the software would often ping-pong from side to side inside the lane.

Tesla is trying to use the side sensors to detect the presence of objects, and determine their size, location and relative speed - and primarily do this using cameras (no radar, and proximity sensors with limited range).

Since humans can do this with only visual input, it should be possible for Tesla to accomplish this with the use of the front, side and rear cameras - though it could take a while before the software properly detects each of the objects that might impact vehicle operations.

For now, we'll use the dashboard display of nearby vehicles as another data point when we're initiating lane changes - and will likely continue to look to the sides and the car's mirrors to double check what's being reported - at least until we gain confidence the software is correctly detecting everything.

This is still "beta" software... (and could be viewed as "early beta" at this point for the side vehicle detection)