Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Dashcam, have you made it work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I’ve had the dreaded x in the camera icon twice. Today, all I did was stop the car, go pick up my winning MegaMillions lottery ticket :) and go back to the car. The x appeared at that point. After repairing the thumb drive in Windows 10, reinserted it back and the red dot indicator returned. Just got 2018.40 tonight... hopefully this will resolve the drive corruption

I'm not too computer literate, and I was having a heck of a time trying to get my Version 9 Dashcam feature to work.
I was able to format my flash drive to FAT 32 on my iMac, but it still would not work in my MS.
I finally figured out the problem: I didn't know how to make a subfolder on my flash drive (I thought just naming my flash drive "TeslaCam" (without the quotation marks) would do it (d'oh...).

Here is how it is done (for you iMac users out there).
  1. Once you insert the flash drive in the iMac and format the flash drive
  2. Choose File > New Folder, or press Shift-Command-N. ...
  3. Then name the folder "TeslaCam," then press Return
And that's it. Once I did that and inserted the flash drive in the USB port in my MS, the icon appeared in the UI.
If I could do it, ANYBODY CAN!! :)

The Sandisk Cruzer Fit was working like a champ as long as I always remember to pause the recording before leaving the car. Still I got a new computer and picked up a few things with it, including a Sandisk microSD -> USB 3.0 adapter. The 3.0 does do much in the Tesla, but I am now using a Blackvue 128 GB microSD. This card was acting a little flaky in the DR900s, but still seems to generally work, so I'm trying it for the Tesla dashcam for now.

Well after a week of my dashcam “recording,” red dot icon and all... I went out today and have NO dashcam icon. Pulled the drive, (sanDisk Cruzer) checked it on the home confuser and as expected... I have zero recorded files for my week of supposed recording.

I didn’t reformat the drive, but erased everything on it, re-made the TeslaCam folder, and re-installed in the car. Car fails to recognize the drive.

I fold Elon, I fold.

I only had one incident with the SanDisk Ultra Fit 64GB drive where the red dot was an X. I removed and reformatted, recreated the TeslaCam folder and haven't had an issue since. I have also received 2018.40 in the past week, not sure if there are any "improvements" to USB file handling and proper drive dismounting.

So mine stopped working a few days ago—the icon on the touchscreen disappeared. I just plugged the thumb drive into the computer, and the last files recorded are videos of the shed at the end of my driveway in the middle of the night when no one is driving, or near the car, at all. We were fast asleep. Trying a new drive tomorrow. Weird.