Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 Dashcam, have you made it work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FAT32 can have file sizes up to 8GB and single volumes up to 8TB - at least for a regular drive. I believe a USB stick is the same.

Some computers/devices have limits reading large drives/usb sticks... but the format works. I have found problems with some older cameras.

For anybody thinking of putting the TeslaCam folder on your music usb, don't do it.
v9 seems to search for TeslaCam first and when it finds it, that usb drive can not be accessed by media player.

I wonder if Tesla did it that way because of the slow USB read/write speeds.

I saw on reddit that if you do two separate partitions. One with TeslaCam and one for your music, you can have both on a single USB stick.

So the I have the same problems that you guys have seen. I plug in a USB flash drive and it works for awhile, but as soon as I pull it out, view a video or two and plug it back in, it decides to stop working. I even tried pausing the recording by holding the dashcam icon until it changes, but the same result happens. I too end up having to wipe the drive and create root folder again. I tried both USB flash drives and microsd cards via a USB adapter. This honestly shouldn't be how this feature works.

Also, I have noticed that sometimes a flash drive that works for music doesn't work for the v9 dashcam. I have 2 of these in 64 GB Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive. Both are formatted in FAT32. I use one for music and it's super reliable in both v8 and 9. However user its sister drive for the dashcam is a total fail. The car won't even recognize the drive. Before someone mentions the FAT32 limit, I have a 128 GB microsd in FAT32 and it works fine until the above occurs. When I remove the Teslacam folder from that drive and add some MP3s, it loads right up and they play just fine.

On a related note, I started another thread on which USB flash and/or microsd cards to use for this here: Best USB or microsd for v9 dashcam?

I use a Samsung Pro Endurance 128 GB micro sd for my actual dashcam because it was designed for continuous (re)writing and carries a 5 year warranty. Since any dashcam is write intensive including the v9 one, using a similar "high endurance" storage media seems like a good idea. 1

Reactions: SpudLime
@hulk2k17 try resetting the MCU/touchscreen (long press of both roller wheels). I’m not sure entirely, but that helped my car on one of my many USB removal/reinstall attempts.

Yes. That's what I have to do because the icon still appears as recording even though there's no USB plugged in. While the MCU reboot works, it shouldn't work that way. I would argue that I should be able to remove the drive, see the icon disappear, reinsert the drive, and the icon reappear, and recording is happening properly throughout all of this.

What I can't figure out is if my problems are rooted in the storage media I'm using or if the dashcam feature is buggy or both

So I got my other SanDisk flash drive to work. I used this tool to format it into FAT32: HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool

The tool was used for all the other storage I tried. It still didn't work so I plugged it into my Pixel 2 using the USB A to C adapter and the phone says that the drive needed to be formatted so I did. I recreated the TeslaCam folder and it worked!

When pausing the recording and removing the drive, the icon still persists. But after reinserting the drive I could resume recording. Now to see how long it'll last before a reformat is needed

Same issues as you. I did two tests today and pressed the icon after driving for 20-30 min on my commute. Once in the AM and once in the PM.

After getting home, I removed the USB...the icon stayed on the display.

Plugged the USB in the computer and lo and behold there were 2 ten-minute saved files* along with the one hour of 1-minute looping files.

So it appears it works! Just need to see if I simply plug it back in and it will continue to loop and record.

* The 10 minute saved files were actually ten, one minute files.

New issue. After removing the USB, then re-installing it in the car the icon remains “normal,” and it appears to be on and recording. Checked it later and it had in-fact recorded nothing for over and hour of driving. Zero files saved.

Uggg

New issue. After removing the USB, then re-installing it in the car the icon remains “normal,” and it appears to be on and recording. Checked it later and it had in-fact recorded nothing for over and hour of driving. Zero files saved.

Uggg

That's happened to me when using the previous drives. It hasn't happened with the current SanDisk flash drive.

I always pause before removing the drive. When I plug it back in, I resume the recording and confirm the light on the USB is flashing.

Sounds like it's time to reformat and/or reboot the MCU

Having issues with my dashcam. I got it to work but it seems to write files every minute to the USB drive for an hour. The problem is that it is writing files to the drive when the car is charging in the garage? I used the car last night returning at 10PM, October 13th. The USB has files every minute from 11:48 to 12:40. It also has the dates wrong, the 11:48 file is labeled 10/14 and this changes to 10/15 for the files written at 12:00 and after - even though it is still 10/14 today? The files are just the view of the inside of the garage in the dark. I expected to see the last hour I was driving the car? Anyone else having similar issues?

So the I have the same problems that you guys have seen. I plug in a USB flash drive and it works for awhile, but as soon as I pull it out, view a video or two and plug it back in, it decides to stop working. "

Same problem here. Brand new 128 Gig pre-formatted FAT32 Drive. Worked at first, removed to examine files... no longer works. Will try reformatting, but this should NOT be the default behavior.

Having issues with my dashcam. I got it to work but it seems to write files every minute to the USB drive for an hour. The problem is that it is writing files to the drive when the car is charging in the garage? I used the car last night returning at 10PM, October 13th. The USB has files every minute from 11:48 to 12:40. It also has the dates wrong, the 11:48 file is labeled 10/14 and this changes to 10/15 for the files written at 12:00 and after - even though it is still 10/14 today? The files are just the view of the inside of the garage in the dark. I expected to see the last hour I was driving the car? Anyone else having similar issues?

It’s working perfectly. It’s supposed to write 60, one minute files...that’s your “loop” of video.

Shouldn’t be writing files with the car off.

Check the date/timestamp...I read it’s in UTC. It’s correct.