Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v9 HVAC Operational Defects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
I have noticed what I think are defects in the way that the HVAC controls have been re-configured in v9. I am not talking about the horrible UI with its hard to find controls, more clicks to get to things and such. That is a whole other conversation. I am talking about functionality. And, of course, this is specific to Model S and X as I am not familiar with the subtleties between v8 and 9 on the Model 3, hence this post in the Model X UI forum.

Prior to v9, you could individually put each of "Fan Speed", "Vent Direction", "A/C" and "Recirculate Mode" into Manual or Automatic control without affecting the others. Now, it appears to be an "all or nothing" proposition. If, for example, you adjust the fan speed, all of the other functions come out of "Auto". There are two defects related to this as follows:

1. I often find that "Fan Speed" in Auto is too low and have my right scroll wheel set to conveniently adjust it. If I spin the scroll wheel to adjust the fan, as mentioned above now EVERYTHING comes out of Auto, not just the fan. If I press the scroll wheel to put it back into Auto, it puts the "Fan Speed" back in Auto, but leaves everything else in manual. This is weird because aside from this, there does not seem to be any method from the touchscreen to do this, and of course it not what I expect or want.

2. If I tap the "A/C" button to override it, again EVERYTHING comes out of Auto mode. This is contrary to every other car I know of with automatic HVAC controls and even contrary to how Tesla worked before v9. Often, I like to override "A/C" to keep it from coming on and wasting energy, while keeping the other functions in full Auto. I used to do this with my ICE cars as well to save fuel.

And of course now, I have to hunt and peck through the controls to restore HVAC controls every time I discover the vent direction is wrong, fan speed it incorrect and so forth.

I've complained about (2) to Tesla and posted a thread here on TMC. I agree re: every other car, too, but apparently a lot of people believe their cars with auto A/C don't do this (and since I haven't been in every make/model ever, I can't know they are wrong). Since posting that, I've found that the A/C doesn't remember my settings from trip to trip, which is also annoying. With colder weather approaching, I've realized that it's also going to be annoying that you have to turn the HVAC system on in order to get to the cold weather controls. Yes, you can turn it off right after it turns on when you tap the fan to get to the screen with the settings, but this is mind boggling considering that Musk himself is a proponent of driving with heated seats while leaving the HVAC off.

I have noticed what I think are defects in the way that the HVAC controls have been re-configured in v9.
I agree. And worse it seems that no longer is 75F comfortable. It depends. They seem to have changed the fan speeds based on various aspects and I find myself constantly adjusting the temperature set point to get comfortable for both cooling and heating. I complained to Tesla exec feedback on this a few weeks ago.

i have noticed that when rear climate is on AUTO, it still blows air when i have no rear occupants. i am pretty sure that prior to V9 it would turn it off if it didn't detect any rear occupants in the seats ... that was a great feature so you are not wasting energy to cool the back when it's empty. is there a setting to make it do that again? (sorry i haven't had much time to play around with V9 yet)

also, the temp control arrows are so small and close to the number reading. it's really not that easy to adjust the temp anymore. if they are going to be that tiny, i wish they'd use a slider of some kind instead of having to tap up/down arrows repeatedly.

Reactions: alseTrick
i have noticed that when rear climate is on AUTO, it still blows air when i have no rear occupants. i am pretty sure that prior to V9 it would turn it off if it didn't detect any rear occupants in the seats ... that was a great feature so you are not wasting energy to cool the back when it's empty. is there a setting to make it do that again? (sorry i haven't had much time to play around with V9 yet)

also, the temp control arrows are so small and close to the number reading. it's really not that easy to adjust the temp anymore. if they are going to be that tiny, i wish they'd use a slider of some kind instead of having to tap up/down arrows repeatedly.

Try sliding the temperature left or right. I hear that's a thing, but I haven't tried it yet.