Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 - need two USB drives for MP3 play & Cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bit of data for the masses:

1. I have only ever had the single partition on my 128G drive
2. When I first plugged the drive into the car, everything worked for about 30 files, then corruption and gray X
3. My solution was to reformat and start over. Same result
4. A week ago I just manually deleted all of the files (the corrupt ones at the root level, and the real ones in the TESLACAM folder)
5. Since then, I've had the red dot, and everything looked like it was going great. I drove the car every day for a week, and one day for four hours.
6. I figured I'd won the lottery, and should have many hundreds of files in my folder.
7. Then yesterday the gray X, and I removed the drive from the car for the first time since my assumed success.
8. Of the seven days of driving, my TESLACAM folder only had a handful of files for two of those days. EVEN THOUGH IT SHOWED THE RED RECORDING DOT EVERY DAY. Gah. About 25 corrupt files at the root level.

This is just frustrating as hell.

A bit of data for the masses:

1. I have only ever had the single partition on my 128G drive
2. When I first plugged the drive into the car, everything worked for about 30 files, then corruption and gray X
3. My solution was to reformat and start over. Same result
4. A week ago I just manually deleted all of the files (the corrupt ones at the root level, and the real ones in the TESLACAM folder)
5. Since then, I've had the red dot, and everything looked like it was going great. I drove the car every day for a week, and one day for four hours.
6. I figured I'd won the lottery, and should have many hundreds of files in my folder.
7. Then yesterday the gray X, and I removed the drive from the car for the first time since my assumed success.
8. Of the seven days of driving, my TESLACAM folder only had a handful of files for two of those days. EVEN THOUGH IT SHOWED THE RED RECORDING DOT EVERY DAY. Gah. About 25 corrupt files at the root level.

This is just frustrating as hell.
You realize that every drive starts over and it deletes all the files except the ones with saved as the prepended file name right? I know, this doesn't make sense as we were all expecting the last 60 minutes to be there plus any 10 minute segments we saved. It doesn't seem to work that way.

You realize that every drive starts over and it deletes all the files except the ones with saved as the prepended file name right? I know, this doesn't make sense as we were all expecting the last 60 minutes to be there plus any 10 minute segments we saved. It doesn't seem to work that way.
Well, yes. Sort of. I am slowly learning what is going on by piecing my data together with what others have discovered. Oddly enough, what you mention is not what I'm experiencing. When I look at the drive on my computer there are always files from a few days previous. (without the SAVED filename) Honestly, there seems to be no logic as to what is recorded and saved, vs what is tossed and corrupted.

I'm pretty sure that Tesla will slowing massage this into relevance.

Beginning of the 2:54pm clip is already after the accident occured, so a few seconds were lost during the transition between the two video files.

I picked up a new USB stick, it has much faster write speeds (80 MB/s) than the original stick (4 MB/s) I was using. I reviewed the recordings today and did not see any video gaps between files. I don't know if that's due to the faster stick and/or the recent software update that also fixed the disabled DashCam issue, but am happy with the results either way.

Reactions: Gabbleratchet7