Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vacation - Leave Plugged In Or Not ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to Europe for two weeks and left my Y plugged in but really did not need to. I believe I lost 2 or 3% if I recall correctly.
That's the best I've heard so far. The manual says to expect about 1% per day. This is assuming climate control and sentry are off and your not continously waking up the car through the app. But it will most like be less than that. I also took a two week vacation and had about 6% drainage in two weeks on my Feb 2022 MSLR.

Just got back from a 9 day vacation. Left my 2018 M3 LR RWD unplugged in a garage in SoCal with 75% and came back to 72%. I only checked on it twice throughout my vacation, closing the app immediately afterwards. Was NOT in Sentry Mode. Totally forgot to turn off Cabin Overheat Protection, but I don't think it activated at all, even though it was pretty hot the whole time I was gone. Overall, I'm pleased with the results.

I personally am a little nervous about being on vacation and leaving the Tesla plugged in. While I know vehicle fires are rare I don't want to be the exception to the rule. I already had to have the electrician come back to replace the faulty 60 amp circuit breaker they installed with my home charger. It actually started making a sizzling sound before I shut it off.
I have a security camera in the garage and I certainly don't want to see something bad happening while I'm over a thousand miles away.
My MYLR is parked in my garage and I don't expect the temperature to go below 40° and probably average somewhere in the '50s.
I don't have Sentry on when I'm at home but even so I believe I can just go to security and turn off the entire car until I get back.

I personally am a little nervous about being on vacation and leaving the Tesla plugged in. While I know vehicle fires are rare I don't want to be the exception to the rule. I already had to have the electrician come back to replace the faulty 60 amp circuit breaker they installed with my home charger. It actually started making a sizzling sound before I shut it off.
I have a security camera in the garage and I certainly don't want to see something bad happening while I'm over a thousand miles away.
My MYLR is parked in my garage and I don't expect the temperature to go below 40° and probably average somewhere in the '50s.
I don't have Sentry on when I'm at home but even so I believe I can just go to security and turn off the entire car until I get back.

Just have it so that all scheduling is off on charging. That way, car is always asleep and never charging. You check once in awhile to see if the car is okay on charge but I doubt you need to charge until you get home

You can plan for 1% (usually it's not that much) phantom drain per day. Charge your battery before you leave. For my 2022 MSLR I saw < 1% battery drain every other day. You can use the Tessie app to monitor battery without waking the car.

You can plan for 1% (usually it's not that much) phantom drain per day. Charge your battery before you leave. For my 2022 MSLR I saw < 1% battery drain every other day. You can use the Tessie app to monitor battery without waking the car.
...that would be UNPLUGGED, right? I agree. If there's any doubt about your wiring (really, there shouldn't be!) leave it unplugged.

(If there IS DOUBT about your wiring, for sure, I'd get a 2nd opinion. )