Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vacationing in Norway with a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife suggested that, too. We have a nice little place overlooking Napa Valley, would trade for a week, have a "well equipped garage" with a standard 85. San Francisco, several counties of "wine country" if you're into that, oceans, mountains, blah blah. You know.

Let's see if we have any takers. Summer 2014!
So what, if anything, ever came of this? Would really like to put something together for a 3-4 week Tesla tour for the wife and and I. And we, like you, have a house overlooking the Napa Valley with a MS in the basement garage!:cool:

Duringnext summer, together with my family we will visit Norway for a 3 week holidaywith our Tesla . As I understand, the charging infrastructurein Norway is one of the best in the world including the tesla superchargers, Iam wondering how I can charge my tesla with public charging stations and Chademo chargers.

I assumethat I need some form of payment agreement, charging card from a vendor or sometype of key?
In the Netherlands, where I come form "roaming" facilitates the fact that with a card from one supplier I can charge at any public charging station and payment is taken care of automatically. As I understand from Norwegian sites (mostly in the Norwegian language :) ) there are several suppliers.

Can any oneadvise me in what kind of subscription I should take in order to use publiccharging stations in Norway, or refer me to someone who can answer thisquestion?

Thanks

Duringnext summer, together with my family we will visit Norway for a 3 week holidaywith our Tesla . As I understand, the charging infrastructurein Norway is one of the best in the world including the tesla superchargers, Iam wondering how I can charge my tesla with public charging stations and Chademo chargers.

I assumethat I need some form of payment agreement, charging card from a vendor or sometype of key?
In the Netherlands, where I come form "roaming" facilitates the fact that with a card from one supplier I can charge at any public charging station and payment is taken care of automatically. As I understand from Norwegian sites (mostly in the Norwegian language :) ) there are several suppliers.

Can any oneadvise me in what kind of subscription I should take in order to use publiccharging stations in Norway, or refer me to someone who can answer thisquestion?

Thanks

Hi - and welcome to Norway

1. Read the posting I made in one of the other threads in this forum: Holiday in Norway with a german Model S and Family

The contents of that post is not specific for Germans only :)

When it comes to the various charging schemes you will find that most schuko plugs are free - some require the municipailty parking key to open the box where the plug is located. Most of the boxes are to small to fit the older Tesla UMC Schuko plug. The newer model (nicknamed pigtail) fits fine. Alternatively bring a short extension cord - make sure it is 2.5mm2 or more as you will send 13A through it.

Many 22kw are also free. Some require a SMS msg sendt to the number listed on the outlet to open the lid, then plug in, close the lid and electrons start flowing, send another SMS from the same telephone to stop and unlock again.

The commercial charging companies (those that demand payment and a form of card) have not yet - to my knowledge - started to offer roaming. One membership per company seems to be required. The major ones are Fortum, Grønn kontakt and Ishavsveien. I think you would be able to do without these.

Use the info on Hurtigladekartet to find more info. All chargers from all companies are listed - with info on payment etc... Some Statoil gas stations have chargers now - more are coming - and they usually let you pay inside and then activate the chargers (22kw AC type 2). Hurtigladekartet is in Norwegian. You should be able to make sense of it with your Dutch background - alternatively use Google translate.

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi - and welcome to Norway

1. Read the posting I made in one of the other threads in this forum: Holiday in Norway with a german Model S and Family

The contents of that post is not specific for Germans only :)

When it comes to the various charging schemes you will find that most schuko plugs are free - some require the municipailty parking key to open the box where the plug is located. Most of the boxes are to small to fit the older Tesla UMC Schuko plug. The newer model (nicknamed pigtail) fits fine. Alternatively bring a short extension cord - make sure it is 2.5mm2 or more as you will send 13A through it.

Many 22kw are also free. Some require a SMS msg sendt to the number listed on the outlet to open the lid, then plug in, close the lid and electrons start flowing, send another SMS from the same telephone to stop and unlock again.

The commercial charging companies (those that demand payment and a form of card) have not yet - to my knowledge - started to offer roaming. One membership per company seems to be required. The major ones are Fortum, Grønn kontakt and Ishavsveien. I think you would be able to do without these.

Use the info on Hurtigladekartet to find more info. All chargers from all companies are listed - with info on payment etc... Some Statoil gas stations have chargers now - more are coming - and they usually let you pay inside and then activate the chargers (22kw AC type 2). Hurtigladekartet is in Norwegian. You should be able to make sense of it with your Dutch background - alternatively use Google translate.

Good luck!

PS: Rumours say you need a Norwegian UMC to be able to use Norwegian Schuko plugs. I can't see why this should be true. I will ask at the Norwegian forum and come back here...

Hi,

Regarding Norwegian UMC.. yes this is something you need if charging from Schuko plugs.. the electrical grid in Norway is in a lot of places without a Neutral (IT network).
Europe: voltage between phases is 400V, and voltage between phase and neutral is 230..

Norway most parts (and some parts in Belgium): voltage between phases is 230V.. no neutral.

( difference between IT and TN network: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system )

This gives problems with the UMC delivered in Europe. Here in Norway we get a special UMC delivered to be able to charge. Not sure but I believe Tesla Service centers might rent out Norwegian UMC's to people on holiday in Norway, try to contact them for more info.

Have a great time in Norway

It is sad but true. Please refer to this post by Yggdrasill: UMC trouble on Norwegian electricity network

Confirmed. You are correct. What I do not understand is why Tesla did not use ONLY the norwegian model UMC - as the norwegian model works all over Europe. While the "standard Europe UMC" does not work everywhere in Belgium and Norway (and I presume also not in Albania :) )

I would however think the Europe UMC would work if you connect to a red CEE plug in Norway - the red plugs are for modern 400V grid and I do think this grid have neutral the correct way. Dilemma is when you find a schuko - you can never know if the grid behind it is of the old or new type. Most often it will be of the 230V, no neutral type.

We're travelling through Norway this August with our Model S. I'm still thinking about buying the ChadeMO adapter for fast charging if we drive around the fjords :), especially because we have a (almost) toddler with us.
Like someone said earlier; you need some kind of membership if you want to top up using one of the chargers. Too bad my Norsk is a bit rusty :wink:, so I don't really know what the company websites say... Any way to get or buy/borrow RFID tag somewhere?

We're travelling through Norway this August with our Model S. I'm still thinking about buying the ChadeMO adapter for fast charging if we drive around the fjords :), especially because we have a (almost) toddler with us.
Like someone said earlier; you need some kind of membership if you want to top up using one of the chargers. Too bad my Norsk is a bit rusty :wink:, so I don't really know what the company websites say... Any way to get or buy/borrow RFID tag somewhere?

I've sent an e-mail to [email protected] (from gronnkontakt.no :rolleyes:) and said I will be making a roadtrip to Norway within a few weeks. They sent me a RFID-chip by post and I recieved it within 5 days. Payable by invoice.

Dear Norwegian Tesla friends,
Today I received this letter with the 'ladebrikke' :smile:. I tried to translate it with Google.translate but I'm not sure if I need to activate something before going to Norway. Can someone give me a brief translation in understandable english (or dutch)? I'm leaving next week. I think I can use this 'ladebrikke' for the Chademo chargers in Norway, is that correct? How do i pay?
Thanks in advance!

image.jpg

For the Grønn Kontakt, you've got the Grunnpakke deal which means you get charged after use and you need to use the chip before you start charging and after. It says in the text that the chip is active.

Cobos

I received this answer from Gronnkontakt.no:

The RFID ladebrikke is activated and ready for use. You «pay»/ start the charging with your RFID ladebrikke and you will receive an invoice sendt to your e-mail after 30 days. Log in to Min Side/My page with your e-mail and select forgott password.

What with the Supercharger build out in Norway, my wife and I think it makes great sense to try a vacation in Norway.

We see several ideas about driving vacations in Norway, and we see that there is a gorgeous country and interesting people.

Now they have Tesla!

If there were a place a tourist could rent a Tesla and have an itinerary to visit the points of interest along the Supercharger routes, with perhaps some options for hiking, kayaking, photo ops, historical sites and towns that show the growth of Norway, it would be great!

If anyone knows of any such rentals being available, or anyone thinking of being a travel agent for such a vacation, I wish to hear about it. If there are places I should check (I don't want to burden anyone with my silly requests), I would greatly appreciate knowing about where to check.

Hoping to hear. Please email me if you have any ideas or comments, stelling at napanet dot net.

Thanks!

There's a new airbnb-like car sharing/rental service called http://nabobil.no in Norway. Lots of Tesla owners rent out their Teslas for around 800-1200NOK per day (100-140USD). Which is cheaper than most rental cars in this country. The service is open to foreigners, but requires pre-registration and will check that you have a valid driver's licence.

Sounds like a good deal for American Tesla owners who want to visit.