Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vakantie - Frankrijk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arrived. What an excellent, comfortable, relaxed way to travel long distance. Now charging the S from a wall contact at a (hopefully) safe 10 amps (13 max). Tomorrow a CEE 16 11kW socket will be installed, so that should make everything easier.

Wine & cheese already being consumed...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413636804.188382.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1413636804.188382.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 418
The local electrician arrived this morning, more or less on time and on a Sunday as well, which is all pretty good for this region. My french is poor and his english non-existance, but I managed to explain to him what I wanted. So he set about connecting up the CEE 16 Red socket that I'd brought with me.

Firstly I noted that he connect it up in parallel with the 11kW pool heating. I had other ideas, but he assured me that if someone turned on the pool heating as well as charged, the main fuse would trip, which would be just fine...

Secondly he didn't believe me when explained that the current consumption would be 16A per phase. I even ran a little calculation and he still didn't believe me. So he connected the socket up and I plugged in the UMC... Everything worked fine, 11kW on the charge screen. So I suggested that he measure the current. Needless to say he was pretty surprised to discover that it is indeed 16A per phase. He then started scratching his head in a very french/Laurel & Hardy way. Put his hand on the original cable that he'd used and mumbled something about it being "tres chaud".

He wandered back to his van and came back with some much thicker cable, then set about redoing the entire installation. I have to say that I'm glad that I was around when the job was done. But it amazes me that the guy didn't get the power/current calculation.

Anyway, we're happily setup here now - as long as we don't heat the pool & charge the car at the same time.

The plan was to leave here late tonight. But at 11:30 this morning my S popped up a message saying that the 12V battery needs service, ie replacement, soon. After some too'ing and fro'ing with Tesla, now at the Aix service centre for the second time this week. The first time was for a TPMS failure, which they didn't manage to fix. I hope that they can do a better job with the battery. I don't fancy a 12V failure at 3am in the middle of France.

Begin morgen aan de terugreis vanuit Barcelona. Heenweg alleen echt problemen gehad bij Metz waar ik niet hoger kwam dan 35-40 kw en deze viel ook geregeld uit. Denk doordat we met 2 (Fransman) stonden te laden en de temperatuur was vrij hoog zo'n 29 graden, volgens de Tesla, buiten. Verder perfect gegaan, ben bij iedere Suc gestopt om even te kijken en te laden. Iedere keer alleen met lage temperatuur dus steeds snel geladen. Zo zie je dat je inderdaad af en toe op een bouwplaats/afwerkplek terecht komt maar ok. Dan nog van Narbonne naar Barcelona makkelijk te doen. Auto geparkeerd in de parkeergarage Litoral Port (haven Olimpic) 45 euro voor de hele week met 4kw type 2 aansluiting (gratis en bijna de enige die te vinden was) welke keurig iedere keer automatisch bijlade al was het verbruik maar 5km per 24 uur. 3 laadplekken welke naast be beheerder beschikbaar zijn, top. De vraag werd mij wel gesteld of het wel een elektrische auto was. Laden kan je bijhouden via de app ook al staat de auto ondergronds. Terugreis zal ik ook even posten om verdere ervaringen te delen.

We left Bandol,at 11pm last night. Now at Metz. One advantage of travelling by night is that we were alone at the Superchargers. The difference in max power between the chargers is quite considerable:

Aix SuC max 92kW
Chasse sur Rhone SuC max 78kW (starting at 12km typical)
Nuits St George SuC max 108kW
Metz SuC max 118kW

Rob.

Hi Rob,
hoe is het verder gelopen met de 12v batterij ?

Was a bit tricky but they replaced it. On the positive side, the problem was first reported by the S at 11:30 am and was fixed by 17:30 on the same day. Mega plus points for Tesla Service in Aix.

However there have now been two attempts to fix the TPMS and its still giving intermittent faults. Will have to go to Tilburg. To be honest, much as I love them, I've seen too much of the service guys recently.

Are you getting the "tpms failure" warning in the instrument cluster? I have it too once every few weeks. Was diagnosed by service as (intermittent) faulty rear tpms sensors, which they didn't warranty because I have aftermarket wheels (and that could have caused minor damage on the sensors).
Heb t ook gehad met een originele sensor, deze is direct vervangen. Hoop dat ze t op m'n winterset straks gewoon blijven doen.

Are you getting the "tpms failure" warning in the instrument cluster? I have it too once every few weeks. Was diagnosed by service as (intermittent) faulty rear tpms sensors, which they didn't warranty because I have aftermarket wheels (and that could have caused minor damage on the sensors).

It's a TPMS system failure. It started last week immediately after the drive unit was replaced, so I guess there's a connection. Aix have tried various things, including two firmware updates, so I understand. Tilburg initially suggested it was a calibration issue following the drive swap, but Aix also checked that out.

Have to see what Tilburg thinks this week.

The attached graph shows shows the charge, speed and range performance of my S during the trip back. (Red = range, Blue = rate of charge, Green = speed)

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1414314493.158801.jpg

The varying performance of the SuC's is clearly visible, with the Chasse sur Rhone SuC delivering the lowest output. The data also leads to a couple of observations/conclusions:

On the leg outward leg from Chasse sur Rhone to Aix, we cruised at 130 and had an average speed of 118kph. On the return leg yesterday for some reason the power consumption was much higher. I originally set out at 120kph, but had to chisel it back eventually to 100. I'm not sure what the difference was, there didn't seem to be much wind and the road was dry. But it was a big difference compared to the outward leg.

I could have charged less at Chasse sur Rhone, 60km range at the next SuC was more than enough, but because of the high power consumption during the previous leg I played it safe.

Same goes for the leg from Nuits St George to Metz. Because I was concerned at the power consumption I set the cruise speed to 110kph. In the end that could probably have been upped to 120, but during the second half of this leg the wife was driving while I had a snooze, so she continued to stick to 110kph.

The last leg I attacked with the knowledge that we would always reach Urmond. So I cruised at the speed limit. This worked out perfectly and we reached home without the need to stop at Urmond and with 9km range remaining.

I logged all of this in my planning spreadsheet, which has been very useful and damned accurate. The next time we make this trip I'll be able to plan even more accurately.

If the Nuits St George SuC was eventually moved to Dijon or north thereof, I reckon that it would be possible to travel pretty much the whole route at the given speed limits. Also, if the performance of the Chasse sur Rhone & Aix SuC was improved, all in all it would be possible to knock at least an hour off the total trip time.

For those of you wondering why I'm so anal about my spreadsheets and graphs, I should point out that I have +1300 more or less eventless flying hours and an instrument rating, so I tend to be pretty methodical about these things. And it adds to my enjoyment...

Last edited:
Mooie uiteenzetting Rob!

Het blijft moeilijk voorspellen wat het verbruik zal zijn is ook mijn ervaring. Zelfde route (bijv. woon-werk), ogenschijnlijk zelfde weersomstandigheden en toch zomaar 10 a 20 Wh/km verschil...

Om de optimale snelheid te berekenen voor een zo laag mogelijke totale reistijd heb ik een keer deze berekening in Excel gemaakt: http://www.daglievemensen.nl/tesla/files/reistijd_laadtijd.xlsx

Hi Merijn,

I don't attempt to forecast verbruik, I agree with you that it's almost impossible. I turn the problem the other way round - I calculate the verbruik 'budget' that I have for a leg. That's where your elevation calculation comes in handy. Thus when I'm driving I know what target verbruik to aim for when I set off. This in turn determines how fast I can drive under the given conditions. One always has to adapt to the circumstances.

Thus, when I was driving from Aix to Chasse, I could immediately see that it was difficult to maintain the set budget. This was also confirmed by "projected range". The difference between the two is that projected range is based on the past, ie what you have driven, while my 'budget' is based on the future, what you need to make the leg.

It would help if your elevation calculation easily worked from supercharger to supercharger, etc. I messed around with it a bit, but it was difficult to enter the leg start and stop points. I'll have a look at the sheet you mention as well.

Cheers, Rob.