TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Valet Attempts to Park A Tesla- You Decide?

Discussion in 'Video' started by mdevp, Sep 14, 2015.

1. mdevp

mdevp Member

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Ha, I bet the guy filming was all "I'll park my own car, thanks"

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

"allegedly, smashing the rear of the Tesla into the pillar."

don't let valet's touch your car. I NEVER do. even in NYC I refuse to let garage attendants park it. I dont give them the keys to my car either, ever. if they don't let me self park AND keep the keys, I'll just go to a different garage.

4. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Never understood valets. Why would I pay some random guy to park my car when I can do it myself for free?

5. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

I agree with the above re. valets, but in this video the loud noise seems to be coming from construction work off-camera (you can hear hammering after the initial bang).

6. Nosken

Nosken Member

The loud noise is perfectly timed to the car jerking while encountering the cement post. you can see the car settle back down as it pulls forward---no question there was pretty good impact, only to kiss the front bumper of the other car.

7. BrianC

BrianC Member

A family member of mine used to work at a country club a few years back and it had nice cars (Ferrari, Bentley, Porsche ect) coming in all the time and he even told me DO NOT LET OTHER PEOPLE PARK YOUR CAR. They are not some magical pro drivers, they are usually part time low to mid 20 somethings who are making some extra cash.

8. mdevp

mdevp Member

I really would like to find what the follow up will be. I'm sure pretty much everybody knows they deny everything and are notorious for never paying out a single dime. (esp NYC ones.)

9. MileHighMotoring

This x 10. Actually x $91,500. Or whatever my sticker price was :)

10. saladman

saladman Member

I don't know. I do see a single line on the pillar, so there may have been an impact, but as loud as it was, I would have expected more than a single line from the colliding car.

I also think the jerky driving can be cause by not having creep enabled. People have a really hard time close maneuvering a car when they have to manage both a throttle and a brake.

11. Jeeps17

Jeeps17 Cath Jockey in a P85

I stand corrected, I looked at it again on a proper monitor (versus iPhone) and he did indeed hit / rub against the pillar. Whether the noise was from tire rubber or car body (or both) is hard to tell, but there is a dark line on the pillar after that was not there before.

12. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I never valet. Period. If they require it, I'll simply leave exactly for the reason shown in this video.

13. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

14. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Yeah, that's what happened. (Wonder why they chose to include "allegedly".) Someone should be fired.

15. Pete90D

Pete90D Fan of Red Lights

And this is why I never go to San Francisco and risk someone parking my car.

When I was in my early twenties I had friends that worked at a well known resort/hotel and this one day someone came up with a Jag and said "don't drive it around, it gets stuck in gears". Well they drove it, and had to drive it for close to 30 miles to get it out of 2nd gear. I can't imagine what they did with Ferraris.

I've only valeted a car I owned once, and it was at work. Watching him park did scare me a bit. With the P90D, if there are no spots I'll just go back home and work from there.

16. Phil K

Phil K Member

This video is taken in Hong Kong and I don't think it had anything to do with valet.

17. bwa

bwa Member

Good policy (for remotable jobs).

18. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Poor valet people, never get any respect. It's one of 'those' jobs where so many look down on them.

19. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Well, then stop F**king with our cars!

20. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Tip better? :biggrin: