Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I upgrade to a Model Y with FSD transfer?

Should I upgrade with FSD transfer?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Facts:
  • wife drives a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD and will trade it in if upgrading
  • estimated trade-in value from Tesla is around $20,000
  • Model 3 running FSD Beta
  • Model 3 has lifetime free premium connectivity
  • Model 3 milage 80K+
  • two boys in middle school
  • only considering upgrade to Model Y LR AWD
  • not legible for $7,500 tax credit
  • will pay cash in full after trade in
  • Tri-motor cybertruck reserved on day-1 and will 100% take delivery ASAP
Pros:
  • more room, cargo space, hitch
  • better efficiency and longer range
  • better interior and convenient feature
  • warranty
  • HW4
Cons
  • cash flow if cybertruck delivery happens soon (not going to take loan for cybertruck)
  • HW4 does not support FSD beta yet

80k miles make sense getting a new car, how many set of tires did you used?
And almost 4 adult size person soon, the added space with a Model Y would be appreciated.

When getting a CyberTruck (in .... few years....) will the Model 3 be a second car, or still getting about 20k miles a year with it?
If the Model 3 will be only a second car, with low annual mileage, this would be very diferent situation.

Honestly, I think you may have to wait for a while for getting a CyberTruck. Since, you don't get the Tax rebate,
for not too much more, personnaly, I would consider getting the new Model S SR which has similar range than the Model Y,
but has air suspension. because the Model Y hard suspension is the only critic that I noticed reported in this forum.

Note: What car will you replace the CyberTruck with? Honestly, the CyberTruck, the size of a F-150, will be too big for me,
I don't go off road and don't need a pickup truck. I can rent a U-Haul trailer if I need to carry big home improvement stuff from Home Depot.

Last edited:
80k miles make sense getting a new car, how many set of tires did you used?
And almost 4 adult size person soon, the added space with a Model Y would be appreciated.

When getting a CyberTruck (in .... few years....) will the Model 3 be a second car, or still getting about 20k miles a year with it?
If the Model 3 will be only a second car, with low annual mileage, this would be very diferent situation.

Honestly, I think you may have to wait for a while for getting a CyberTruck. Since, you don't get the Tax rebate,
for not too much more, personnaly, I would consider getting the new Model S SR which has similar range than the Model Y,
but has air suspension. because the Model Y hard suspension is the only critic that I noticed reported in this forum.

Note: What car will you replace the CyberTruck with? Honestly, the CyberTruck, the size of a F-150, will be too big for me,
I don't go off road and don't need a pickup truck. I can rent a U-Haul trailer if I need to carry big home improvement stuff from Home Depot.
First all, really appreciate the well-thought reply.

I can't remember the exact sets of tires I replaced, I believe at least 3 sets, I would say the car is definitely thirty on tires. The factory Michelin set are expensive tires. Does the current Model Y use more affordable tires?

When I take delivery of Cybertruck, if we still have the 2018 Model 3, I would expect its annual milage to drop significantly, at least half, because we will be taking advantage of the longer range and cargo space of the Cybertruck for any road trip, and only use the sedan for short daily commute.

Thanks for suggesting the new Model S SR, but I'm afraid it does not fit our need, it would be almost $30,000 more than a Model Y LR AWD, but less cargo capacity (S 28cu ft vs Y 76cu ft). The nicer suspension and infotainment in S can't really justify the premium since we are not going to use it for long road trip anyway. In contrast, cargo capacity is key for us, because both my boys play travel sports and I'm the camera crew, so a lot of gears, cooler, tripods, cameras, broadcasting equipments.

We will not replace any existing vehicle with the Cybertruck. My son will take over the ICE (a Ford SUV) I'm driving now when he starts driving. I need a pickup for towing the boat (we love fishing) and likely a RV in the near future (again, travel sports, fed up with hotel). Having said that, a Model Y being able to tow the boat occasionally is a plus, but not a must.

So, all in all, it feels like an upgrade is "nice to have", but not a must, it would make my wife's life easier when hauling people and stuff.

Reactions: Watts_Up
First all, really appreciate the well-thought reply.

I can't remember the exact sets of tires I replaced, I believe at least 3 sets, I would say the car is definitely thirty on tires. The factory Michelin set are expensive tires. Does the current Model Y use more affordable tires?

When I take delivery of Cybertruck, if we still have the 2018 Model 3, I would expect its annual milage to drop significantly, at least half, because we will be taking advantage of the longer range and cargo space of the Cybertruck for any road trip, and only use the sedan for short daily commute.

Thanks for suggesting the new Model S SR, but I'm afraid it does not fit our need, it would be almost $30,000 more than a Model Y LR AWD, but less cargo capacity (S 28cu ft vs Y 76cu ft). The nicer suspension and infotainment in S can't really justify the premium since we are not going to use it for long road trip anyway. In contrast, cargo capacity is key for us, because both my boys play travel sports and I'm the camera crew, so a lot of gears, cooler, tripods, cameras, broadcasting equipments.

We will not replace any existing vehicle with the Cybertruck. My son will take over the ICE (a Ford SUV) I'm driving now when he starts driving. I need a pickup for towing the boat (we love fishing) and likely a RV in the near future (again, travel sports, fed up with hotel). Having said that, a Model Y being able to tow the boat occasionally is a plus, but not a must.

So, all in all, it feels like an upgrade is "nice to have", but not a must, it would make my wife's life easier when hauling people and stuff.
Two can sleep comfortably in the back of a Y set on camping mode.