Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Van Moof - Has Tesla Missed A Trick?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just taken delivery of a Van Moof S3 electric bike. It is a marvel of design and engineering - app controlled, integrated battery, electronics hidden inside the frame, hidden LED displays that illuminate the frame to show different functions, automatic gear selection, GPS tracking, code to unlock, built in wheel locks, auto-lights etc etc. It's a very sophisticated bit of kit for 2 grand.

Everyone I've showed it to had a similar reaction - "It's like a Tesla", and it is. Which made me think is Tesla missing a trick here? With their software and battery knowledge, they could easily have created a compelling e-bike, and tied it in with a purchase of a car as an optional extra. They could even have had it so you could charge the bike from the car battery. I was kind of expecting Tesla to make an e-bike, but doesn't look like it will happen. Maybe Musk is just too car-centric to see the benefits - after all, if he wants a sustainable transport future, bikes are a crucial part of the equation.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
If his motive is to reduce CO2, then changing a push bike for an electric bike isn't going to do much.
If his motive is to make money, then he needs to sell about 25 bikes for every car he makes and I doubt there is as much profit in a bike as there is in a car.

A better target would be motorbikes - and quads as suggested above. Anything with an engine.

Reactions: Durzel
The thing with e-bikes, is not so much that they make people swap from normal bikes, it's that they make people switch from their cars. I know a number of retired people in particular, who have bought e-bikes and it's totally changed how they get around town. So the car stays on the drive and emissions are reduced.

Reactions: DigbyChicken
The thing with e-bikes, is not so much that they make people swap from normal bikes, it's that they make people switch from their cars. I know a number of retired people in particular, who have bought e-bikes and it's totally changed how they get around town. So the car stays on the drive and emissions are reduced.
But if your car has no emissions then what need is there for a bike?