Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VAT increase on public chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or you take readings of the mileometer/odometer.
You already have a unique vehicle identifier and a regulated device measuring distance traveled.
Not perfect, but road pricing using fuel is also a really crap way of pricing roads.

The sooner governments make a decision on this, the sooner tech goes into new vehicles to simplify getting a reading.

It's already happening for diesel vehicles in New Zealand ... and possibly other places. There are large scale trials in some US States, I read. The technologies for monitoring distance traveled have evolved over decades ... it's old hat for HGVs.

Isn't this where this thread started with some companies having to pay more VAT so putting the prices up. If you fill the hole left by fuel taxes disappearing by taxing all corporations more, they will only end up raising their prices, so we end up paying for it another way. The only positive is that people who walk or bikes or those lucky enough to have public transport that is frequent and cheap could then pay for the roads as well :confused:
I didn't say all companies, the point is there are plenty of companies that legally structure themselves to reduce their tax.

Anyway there are plenty of things that are too cheap in this country to start with. Amazon shouldn't be able to undercut practically everyone while offering next day delivery, that doesn't make sense. Air flights, especially domestic and european, are unfeasibly cheap (with no fuel duty on Aviation fuel). Swapping your phone every year is clearly too affordable.

As well as raising money, the purpose of tax is to direct people to do things that are 'right'. Taxing travel while it was polluting the air made perfect sense, but doesn't make any sense if it's clean.

Reactions: pow216
Slightly off topic but all this talk of driveways....the future is going to be interesting. I don't know what its like in your parts of the country, but round here, any scrap of land they can possibly find is getting flats built on it. Flat after flat after flat. Without enough parking for all of them.

Half our town centre is now being turned into flats as well.

There's a brand new housing estate going up in Essex, supposed "estate of the future" - the first 40% or so of the houses will have their own drives, but the rest won't, because and I quote, it won't be neccesary...

They are meant to be putting in some kind of auto car system where they come to your front door from an on-site hub and then you drive that for the day. I just can't see it. Not yet.

I didn't say all companies, the point is there are plenty of companies that legally structure themselves to reduce their tax.

Anyway there are plenty of things that are too cheap in this country to start with. Amazon shouldn't be able to undercut practically everyone while offering next day delivery, that doesn't make sense. Air flights, especially domestic and european, are unfeasibly cheap (with no fuel duty on Aviation fuel). Swapping your phone every year is clearly too affordable.

As well as raising money, the purpose of tax is to direct people to do things that are 'right'. Taxing travel while it was polluting the air made perfect sense, but doesn't make any sense if it's clean.
True, but there are other negative consequences of lots of people driving, even if it's in EVs that don't cause air pollution:
  • Use of boom box feature causing widespread fart-based noise pollution
  • Panel gap comparison meetups causing additional traffic
  • Additional road wear and required maintenance because of the sheer weight of the 100% distilled pure smugness in the car
;)