TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

VDS elevation reports N/A

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by asgard, Feb 3, 2015.

1. asgard

asgard Member

The elevation on the VDS on my 1.5 Roadster suddenly started reporting N/A. Everything else seems fine and there are no error messages.
    OVMS reports (0.0, 0.0) for the latitude/longitude.
    Could the GPS antenna have come loose since there are no errors reported on the VDS?

2. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

Absolutely yes. I had exactly this problem. In my case the module had gone cactus. But it's definitely a hardware problem.

3. shrink

shrink Member

That happened to me, too. Tesla replaced the GPS module under my CPO warranty. I estimate that was about 6 months ago.

Another user here restored a salvaged Roadster a few months ago. I vaguely remember him finding the OEM part for only about $90. I'm sure Tesla will charge quite a bit more.

Good luck!

4. BartJ

BartJ Member

I was not aware that you can see the elevation on the VDS ?
    on what screen would that be ?

5. Habious

Habious Member

I've noticed that mine only shows compass direction when the car is in gear. If it's in Park, it shows "N/A".

I don't have to be MOVING...just in "D".

6. tvuolo

tvuolo Member

I think mine's loose. If I hit a bump, my elevation goes from ~5280 to 0. Then it climbs back up. I'm sure the coordinates go wonky, too, but I've never checked. I'll have to look for that antenna replacement thread, see how to access it.

7. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Its printed on the top of the VDS screen to the right (below compass) in a blue font.

Here's a pic pulled from TMC:

attachment.php?attachmentid=58115&stc=1&d=1409545482.jpg

8. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Location, elevation and heading all come from the GPS module. It is in the front wheel arch.