Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle fails to lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before anyone asks the obvious question - yes, walk away locking is enabled.

I’ve returned to my vehicle a couple times in the past week to find that it did not lock. Both times my 3 had been charging, not sure of this is related though.

I called tech support and the tech I spoke with mentioned something about the “RF sensor” going to sleep after a certain amount of time. I don’t understand this though because it only takes me a few seconds to connect the charge cable and then walk away.

My phone has not been inside the vehicle on either occasion. Opening the door and pressing the brake to start the vehicle confirms that it does not detect the presence of a key.

I consider this to be a serious security flaw or firmware bug. I shouldn’t have to check my app each time I walk away from the vehicle to ensure it is locked.

Do you only have one user profile in the car? I ask because my wife's profile was not set to auto lock and the car would not auto lock for her. Took a little while to figure out.

Since then no issues, very robust. Sometimes will not unlock, but I find I just need to start the app and it will unlock.

Before anyone asks the obvious question - yes, walk away locking is enabled.

I’ve returned to my vehicle a couple times in the past week to find that it did not lock. Both times my 3 had been charging, not sure of this is related though.

I called tech support and the tech I spoke with mentioned something about the “RF sensor” going to sleep after a certain amount of time. I don’t understand this though because it only takes me a few seconds to connect the charge cable and then walk away.

My phone has not been inside the vehicle on either occasion. Opening the door and pressing the brake to start the vehicle confirms that it does not detect the presence of a key.

I consider this to be a serious security flaw or firmware bug. I shouldn’t have to check my app each time I walk away from the vehicle to ensure it is locked.

Are you unlocking with the key or the key card?

Good point. Walk away lock only works if you have first unlocked with phone.

Hmm. Yes, like most Model 3 owners I have experienced issues with the phone key. So yes, I have had to unlock with the key card.

How is a valet person supposed to know that they have to manually lock the car after you give them the card? IMHO, it should always default to locking unless a key is detected. Why did Tesla design it this way?

Hmm. Yes, like most Model 3 owners I have experienced issues with the phone key. So yes, I have had to unlock with the key card.

How is a valet person supposed to know that they have to manually lock the car after you give them the card? IMHO, it should always default to locking unless a key is detected. Why did Tesla design it this way?
The phone uses bluetooth to communicate with the car, but not the key card. It's range is so short that you have to put the card right up against the sensors. Therefore, the car has no way of detecting that the key card is leaving. With the key card you must lock the car by holding the key card against the sensor in the B pillar, even when walk away lock is engaged.

I've done this a few times where the phone as key failed and I used the key card to enter and start the car. I then walked away and left my vehicle unlocked. After a few hours drive, it's easy to forget that the phone as key failed when you started your drive. I sure hope they can fix the phone as key functionality really soon, because I love it when it works, but when it doesn't...

Reactions: apacheguy
In fairness - why would a valet expect the car to lock on its own. The vast majority of cars require manual steps to lock them, using the key card is no different.
Last time I dropped my car to a valet I checked it later and they had locked it.
Mind you I have (so far) never had to use the keycard due to phone unlock failure.

Reactions: Runt8
The phone uses bluetooth to communicate with the car, but not the key card. It's range is so short that you have to put the card right up against the sensors. Therefore, the car has no way of detecting that the key card is leaving. With the key card you must lock the car by holding the key card against the sensor in the B pillar, even when walk away lock is engaged.

I've done this a few times where the phone as key failed and I used the key card to enter and start the car. I then walked away and left my vehicle unlocked. After a few hours drive, it's easy to forget that the phone as key failed when you started your drive. I sure hope they can fix the phone as key functionality really soon, because I love it when it works, but when it doesn't...

It doesn’t have to detect that the key card is leaving. The car requires the key card to be placed behind the cup holders in order to drive. Therefore, if someone removes the card from this location and exits the vehicle, the car could very reasonably assume that the person is walking away and lock the doors. That’s how I would program it.

In fairness - why would a valet expect the car to lock on its own. The vast majority of cars require manual steps to lock them, using the key card is no different.
Last time I dropped my car to a valet I checked it later and they had locked it.
Mind you I have (so far) never had to use the keycard due to phone unlock failure.

That’s good to hear. But I would assume the majority of valet attendants would assume the car works similar to the S/X and automatically locks.

Check your third brake light and see ifs its on when this happens.
Mine stays on, meaning the car thinks the brake is being applied.
I have to tap brake few times to make it properly work again.
Had this problem for a while. Taking my car in this Thursday for checkup.

It doesn’t have to detect that the key card is leaving. The car requires the key card to be placed behind the cup holders in order to drive. Therefore, if someone removes the card from this location and exits the vehicle, the car could very reasonably assume that the person is walking away and lock the doors. That’s how I would program it.

The key card is only required behind the cup holder to start the car - once activated, the card doesn't need to stay there (and would quickly slide off if you tried to leave it there).

• Informative
Reactions: Snow Drift
The key card is only required behind the cup holder to start the car - once activated, the card doesn't need to stay there (and would quickly slide off if you tried to leave it there).

Ok, fair point. I have mine in my wallet so it never slides off the console.

Tesla really needs to fix the phone key issues so I don’t have to constantly remind myself to lock the car manually when I have to use the key card.

Check your third brake light and see ifs its on when this happens.
Mine stays on, meaning the car thinks the brake is being applied.
I have to tap brake few times to make it properly work again.
Had this problem for a while. Taking my car in this Thursday for checkup.
I know this thread is old, but I got my Model 3 in March here in Spain and it recently started doing this...little thing break light goes on every time I park and I have to brake a few times to stop it...very irritating. Would love to know the fix to this and also why it happens. Did you get your fixed?