Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

vehicle may not restart BMS_a088

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi for everybody! i have trouble whit my car!
when i push the brake i see this notifications.
Help please!
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-09 at 14.29.08.jpeg

I don't think it's the 12v battery, because the cabin heater runs off of the high voltage battery and so do the motors.
Nope. Only the heat pump runs from the HV battery; the rest of the HVAC runs from the 12V one, hence the warning. Just the fact the codes say 'BMS', which means 'battery management system', referring to the 12V battery, it's a dead giveaway it's probably the 12V battery. But to be even more sure, the OP needs to state his car's model year, and mileage. If it's at least 2 years old, and over 20K miles, then I'd bet my house it's the 12V battery :). You could buy one from a dealer and install it yourself OP... but make sure to follow the required procedure to do that job. Don't just go and disconnect it. Hope this helps. Good luck.

As a final thought, with so many early 12V battery failures, how cheap they are, and how critical they are for the car to function, I'll probably make it a habit of replacing it every 2 years, regardless of mileage. Or at least before a trip after 2 years of ownership. Not worth the hassle and inconvenience to get stranded in the middle of nowhere during a trip for a stupid $80 battery. My guess is the battery is getting cooked (overcharged) by the car, so hopefully Tesla already fixed that problem on my 2021 car. Or will soon. We'll see. But if the battery failure trend continues, I'd replace it every 2 years.

Last edited:
Nope. Only the heat pump runs from the HV battery; the rest of the HVAC runs from the 12V one, hence the warning. Just the fact the codes say 'BMS', which means 'battery management system', referring to the 12V battery, it's a dead giveaway it's probably the 12V battery. But to be even more sure, the OP needs to state his car's model year, and mileage. If it's at least 2 years old, and over 20K miles, then I'd bet my house it's the 12V battery :). You could buy one from a dealer and install it yourself OP... but make sure to follow the required procedure to do that job. Don't just go and disconnect it. Hope this helps. Good luck.

As a final thought, with so many early 12V battery failures, how cheap they are, and how critical they are for the car to function, I'll probably make it a habit of replacing it every 2 years, regardless of mileage. Or at least before a trip after 2 years of ownership. Not worth the hassle and inconvenience to get stranded in the middle of nowhere during a trip for a stupid $80 battery. My guess is the battery is getting cooked (overcharged) by the car, so hopefully Tesla already fixed that problem on my 2021 car. Or will soon. We'll see. But if the battery failure trend continues, I'd replace it every 2 years.
The cabin heater does run off of the high voltage battery, but has a 12v wire go to it that's used to control it along with two CAN wires and a ground wire. Those control wires come from the VC_Right module. So there might be a problem there. But the other 2 messages reference other possible issues with high voltage components. He could have a bad ground or a mouse chewed on some wires.

It's a weird one, likely a faulty VC (VCFront or VCRight?) if I were to bet. They're cheap-ish and easy-ish to replace. Someone needs to actually check out your car in detail to figure out what's up though.

BMS does mean Battery Management System, but is absolutely referencing the high voltage main battery and not the 12V battery. Further, you can have BMS codes that don't necessarily indicate a problem with the BMS or battery itself.

Tesla is also not routinely "overcharging" the 12V battery. They are perhaps cycling it a bit much. An update did come out for this some time in the last few months.