Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle may not restart errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a few errors this morning when I went to go drive see pic for error list.

Anyone know what these errors usually mean broke? Last time I got a vehicle may not restart error it was the rear large drive unit like 5k miles ago which I had replaced.

PXL_20231120_170315891~2.jpg

I had a similar issue earlier this year. The problem ended up being a failing rear drive unit, which Tesla replaced for about $3,700. My error was accompanied by reduced power and no regen.

Other possible points of failure causing a loss of high voltage isolation include the PTC cabin heater if your car doesn't have a heat pump, the air conditioning compressor, battery heater and the battery pack itself. The most likely culprits are the cabin heater and air conditioning compressor. I think one of these is your issue since you didn't mention reduced power and regen.

Schedule a service appointment and Tesla will take care of you. If the high voltage isolation degrades to a certain point, the car will not let you drive. How long you have depends on exactly what's wrong. On the plus side, it won't shut down on you if you're already driving, so you shouldn't have any issues driving to the service center.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue earlier this year. The problem ended up being a failing rear drive unit, which Tesla replaced for about $3,700. My error was accompanied by reduced power and no regen.

Other possible points of failure causing a loss of high voltage isolation include the PTC cabin heater if your car doesn't have a heat pump, the air conditioning compressor, and the battery pack itself. The most likely culprits are the cabin heater and air conditioning compressor. I think one of these is your issue since you didn't mention reduced power and regen.

Schedule a service appointment and Tesla will take care of you. If the high voltage isolation degrades to a certain point, the car will not let you drive. How long you have depends on exactly what's wrong. On the plus side, it won't shut down on you if you're already driving, so you shouldn't have any issues driving to the service center.
My experience was similar to yours. Had a warning the vehicle may not restart, followed by a preemptive alert that a performance check would run the next time the car started, followed by reduced acceleration and top speed, and disabled regenerative braking system. Tesla Roadside recommended I drive the car to the Service Center in case it doesn't start up. I did so and glad I did because it car wouldn't start after I parked it.

Tesla replaced the LDU, HV contactors, pyro fuse, and 12V battery. They also replaced the HVAC drain hose with a retrofit all under warranty. I did not know how to access Service Mode at the time but would have been curious to see what other alerts were present.

Reactions: Big Earl
Nov 2021: on a trip in Georgia, and I received alert that vehicle may not restart. I didn't think to look at that time at the service menu to see the specifics of the alerts. Fortunately, I was very close to the Alpharetta Service Center, and they quickly looked at the logs for me and told me the battery coolant heater was defective. They seriously discouraged me from driving back home to Virginia.

I have the Extended Warranty, so the cost of repair was only the deductible ($200).

But I did have to rent a car to drive back home, then fly back to Georgia about a week later after the car was repaired.

I haven't touched the car since the other day and today I'm driving it to the SC and there are no errors presenting, probably still there in service mode but I don't wanna risk putting it in park till I'm at the shop.

The estimate has a diag of the HV system for like $250. I'm thinking of just telling them if nothing shows up to just replace the coolant heater anyway

Still sick of your Avatar....dizzy, sea sick of it....
Hahahahaha get good how does a simple moving picture make you dizzy‽ 😂
It could be any HV component...
Good thing is its External..
If it was HV pack, u would get Internal isolation error (aka f123)
They have it in for diag said that will be done by COB tomorrow then they will let me know. I'm hoping for coolant heater or rear motor. The first is cheap and the second is still under warranty 😂

Well today the SC told me that my rear motor took a crap on me and that it needs to be replaced which is the best of news because its still under warranty. So the estimate was like $7k and i messaged them saying it was under warranty but i approved the repair so they can get to work on ordering it and whatnot but i expect an updated estimate in the next couple days. The motor the estimate says is Part number: 1025598-01-U Assembly Reman sport rear drive unit LDU

that is different than what i have it looks like an updated part number (from T to U) the one i currently have is ASSEMBLY - REMAN -SPORT REAR DRIVE UNIT - LDU(1025598-00-T)

Also should i ask for a brand new motor or is the new revision of the re-manufactured one better, i think i heard somewhere that the new model above doesn't have the water seal issue that makes them a ticking time bomb

they said the car is done and I'm gonna go grab it. see the attachments for the invoice it was $1400 total cost.

Looks like i got the new motor (ASSEMBLY - REMAN - SPORT REAR DRIVE UNIT - LDU(1025598-01-U)) so hopefully it really is a fix to it being a ticking time bomb with the water seal.

And apparently i need a new steering rack. Anyone have experience with the cost of that thing? Looking at the service manual its not something i can replace because you have to drop the main battery pack for some reason to replace it.

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png