Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vent Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it me or is the fan/vent control on this car not only confusing but plain out horrible? While I've gotten over the fact I can't blindly change the vents while driving, like a normal car, I can't even get the vents to blow anything to what seems accurate. It's either blowing to the ceiling or on my knees. Sometimes there is a 5 minute delay in how it changes, making things even worse. Fan speed at 5? Might as well have the air turned off. Fan speed at 10? Cat 2 hurricane.

Am I missing something, am I the only one frustrated by this (well besides my wife)?

Maybe they can use the cabin camera and it can use body recognition for voice control of the vent direction.

Works fine for me as well. I have mine set to auto now that it is warmer, and i have the air directed as far to the sides as it will go (because i dont like air blowing directly on me).

No issues here, either with air volume or vent control. With that being said, I dont move vents around much, and didnt in either cars either. I found no need to do that. I like tesla's interface for it though, and the few times I have changed it, I have had no issues with it "going where it looks like its going on the screen".

In general, I find vent control just about okay. Improvements that I think could be made:
  1. Separate front vs rear fan control. Rear airflow is relatively weak compared to the front. If I'm in the back and it's hot we often have to do this song and dance where wife and daughter in the front move their air away from them as much as possible and then we increase fan speed to try to get decent flow in the back.
  2. 1-click button to swap driver <> passenger flow and temp settings. On road trips, my wife and I take turns driving and it becomes tedious swapping fan direction and temperature settings every single time we swap seats.

Reactions: DipStick
Is it me or is the fan/vent control on this car not only confusing but plain out horrible? While I've gotten over the fact I can't blindly change the vents while driving, like a normal car, I can't even get the vents to blow anything to what seems accurate. It's either blowing to the ceiling or on my knees. Sometimes there is a 5 minute delay in how it changes, making things even worse. Fan speed at 5? Might as well have the air turned off. Fan speed at 10? Cat 2 hurricane.

Am I missing something, am I the only one frustrated by this (well besides my wife)?

Maybe they can use the cabin camera and it can use body recognition for voice control of the vent direction.

Have you verified the airflow is actually changing direction while parked? I have seen some reports here of folks having one of the directional airflow vents being broken an being unable to get the system to blow air thru the steering wheel. Service center was able to fix.