Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Version 9 on AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are incorrect about AP1 and adjacent lanes. It has always shown the adjacent lanes when they are visible to the car. That is how the car would indicate the ability to perform an auto lane change when using auto steer.

Tell me more...
IMG_7954.jpg

Tesla-Autopilot-Traffic-Rain.jpg

l_5918f68e58f52.jpg

494411542.jpg

Last edited:

Sorry if you disagree. My AP1 car has shown ajacent lanes on the freeway since I bought the car earlier this year.

I have a guess for the screenshots you provided:
The adjacent lines only seem to appear while traffic is flowing and with minimal congestion. In a traffic jam situation, they are not present. Probably because the density of cars blocks the camera from seeing the lines in the far left and right lanes.

So I suggest trying Autosteer on a freeway with clearly defined lines, where there is little traffic. The lines should show up.

Reactions: kavyboy and liuping
As long as there are not really fast approaching cars coming up the rear the sensors seem to function well.
That's a mighty big "as long as". Accidentally pulling in front of a car going about the same speed as you is likely to result in at most an annoyed honk from the other driver. Pulling in front of some one coming up on you at +30 mph is likely to result in a rear-end collision.

That's a mighty big "as long as". Accidentally pulling in front of a car going about the same speed as you is likely to result in at most an annoyed honk from the other driver. Pulling in front of some one coming up on you at +30 mph is likely to result in a rear-end collision.
You still need to pay attention. The lane change will keep you from pulling into someone in the next lane but it's not full self driving so won't see some bozo traveling at a high rate of speed. The ultrasonic sensors only see out about 45 feet (AP1).

Which sounds like an excellent reason not to have fools going 30 mph above the speed limit.

(I know, the situation can develop where the differential is because you were stuck behind very slow traffic and are stepping out into traffic that's near the speed limit - but you and I both know that's not the usual case. :) )

Which sounds like an excellent reason not to have fools going 30 mph above the speed limit.

(I know, the situation can develop where the differential is because you were stuck behind very slow traffic and are stepping out into traffic that's near the speed limit - but you and I both know that's not the usual case. :) )
I know no such thing. A quite common reason to change lanes is to pass slower traffic ahead. And it is generally to be expected that traffic to your left (in the US, etc.) is moving faster.

Why do you assume they're travelling at a "high" [rate of] speed, or that they're a bozo? You might be the one travelling well below the speed limit, quite possibly because the traffic in your lane is slowed. This is a perfectly normal situation, not some aberration.
But still dangerous to travel at a much higher speed than traffic in the next lane. AP or not, it's a setup for a crash.

I notice that if autopilot not ON, you can’t see adjacent line. Prior to 9.0, I’m sure you can see the adjacent lane without autopilot

I upload 2 picture , 1 show with autopilot and without.

Attachments

• 7DA87636-2FC5-4F81-9B00-88BE8A994DFA.jpeg
    7DA87636-2FC5-4F81-9B00-88BE8A994DFA.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 85
  • DF9104D7-06CB-4205-B39E-CA9CC20E09EF.jpeg
    DF9104D7-06CB-4205-B39E-CA9CC20E09EF.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 90
Also, anyone notice there no more Green color lane when there no traffic in the map?

I don’t really like that. Sometime there no traffic data on specific road and there no color.

No color for me, mean there no traffic data

Attachments

• CCFCE269-EAB4-491F-A001-3C5B3D009BB8.jpeg
    CCFCE269-EAB4-491F-A001-3C5B3D009BB8.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: bollar
I notice that if autopilot not ON, you can’t see adjacent line. Prior to 9.0, I’m sure you can see the adjacent lane without autopilot

I upload 2 picture , 1 show with autopilot and without.
I don't understand. It looks the same as in the past. It shows cars in adjacent lanes in both photos. It shows the lanes a blue with AP on and grey with AP off... same as prior version.

I’m talking about the adjacent lane when the car is not on autopilot. The grey line on each side beside the car.
Look at the picture I posted with autopilot and without autopilot and you can see without autopilot, you don’t see the adjacent grey line

I swear I did see those lane before.

I’m talking about the adjacent lane when the car is not on autopilot. The grey line on each side beside the car.
Look at the picture I posted with autopilot and without autopilot and you can see without autopilot, you don’t see the adjacent grey line

I swear I did see those lane before.

No, on previous versions, when Autopilot was NOT activated, you never had the adjacent grey lines.
It think it should be there....

Also, anyone notice there no more Green color lane when there no traffic in the map?

I don’t really like that. Sometime there no traffic data on specific road and there no color.

No color for me, mean there no traffic data

I also don't understand why they thought that was necessary. I already didn't like another recent map update that I got, where they suddenly removed some colors. Before we could see green and blue (for grass or water) on the map, then they made it all gray. Doesn't make sense to me. Especially in a "Green" car.
I understand that it might be more efficient to not have the green roads (traffic data) but it was also satisfying to look at haha. And made it also easier to see all the big roads imo.

Reactions: David29
I also don't understand why they thought that was necessary. I already didn't like another recent map update that I got, where they suddenly removed some colors. Before we could see green and blue (for grass or water) on the map, then they made it all gray. Doesn't make sense to me. Especially in a "Green" car.
I understand that it might be more efficient to not have the green roads (traffic data) but it was also satisfying to look at haha. And made it also easier to see all the big roads imo.

I completely agree on both points. I dislike the new 'all grey' color scheme and the lack of 'green' for traffic.

The all grey color is too 'drab', but I get around it during the day by using the satellite map. But at night, the 'grey' screen is really drab.

As for the traffic, I have no way to differentiate between a road that is free flowing (should be green) versus a road with no traffic data ( should be no color).