Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vertical Lines on Backup Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today my 2 week old model 3 has developed this issue with the rear camera.

I have made a service center appointment, (no at home service in my area :( boo) for 3 weeks time, but wanted to ask if anyone has seen this before and if I might be able to fix it sooner myself.

I did a search and found a number of backup camera issue threads of owners, but could not see anything quite like my issue.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6857.jpg
    IMG_6857.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 1,033
I had that happen once but it has not done it since. The service center said they have to be able to replicate the issue. I was able to get a photo which is date and time stamped. So hopping it doesn't happen again

I've had this problem intermittently with my front facing dash-cam, but it was usually only a single vertical 'line' of magenta pixels in my dash-cam footage. You're more likely to be able to re-create this artifact-ing around dusk/dawn since I think it has something to do with IR filtering. After one of the software updates my issue seems to have gone away from my videos and they were unable to reproduce it at the service center

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Yikes phil_m3p and I thought mine was bad.

Interesting my issue has phantomly gone away as well, the same day I had a text from the local service center rep asking me when the last time I saw the camera problem. Its like an update got sent out recently that quietly fixed the issue...

Still, pleased its gone away now but would like to know why it happened in the first place.

Hi guys,

Week 3 of owning the M3 and today the camera has developed a load of strange lines on the picture. Tried cleaning just in case but nothings made it any better. Is my camera starting to fail after just 3 weeks?

Has anybody else had similar experiences?

Cheers,
Chris
E5FD969E-76BD-43A0-BFF2-BBF912AAEF58.jpeg
33250098-057F-428C-9D05-7A2A9B020291.jpeg
9704A5AA-346C-41E6-BA60-2F31EA0A3B02.jpeg

Tried the reboot, no joy. I guess I’ll just have to add it to the now 6 page report of issues.
This is definitely by far the best car to drive with WORST EVER quality I have ever come across. The build is so shocking I’m starting to question if the car is safe to drive!
Yeah they're rough. I'm going through a laundry list problem myself. Camera went full green and strange Pixels today. Side pillar cameras constantly going out for no reason. Battery is constantly making popping noises even when sitting still in traffic. Pretty sure I got a lemon and my life will be spent at a service center. Been there twice for door issues that are created when the fixed the old door issue.

that looks a lot like sensor failure (the video image sensor). seen it a lot in digital camera forums. sony sensors used to have problems like that. one of my favorites developed that long after warranty was over. it hit many users.

not sure what's up with tesla, but that does not look like cable issues. sensor issues can come and go with temperature changes and seem to 'fix themselves' but even once with purple lines - that sensor (to me) is no longer trustworthy.

Linear artifacts like that usually suggest a loose cable connection. I would make a 'schedule service' request through the Tesla app. This is something that Tesla service can fix or replace under warranty.

why do you think its cable based? which cable?

sensors are built from rows and columns and that's a bunch of stuck columns. therefore, sensor problem. not wiring.

wiring problems would be much much worse, if you even got a valid frame from a bad digital lvd signal.

This issue should go away if you remove and reset the battery connections. You can do it manually by pulling the negative terminal on the 12V battery and then disconnecting the contactor harness on the passenger side under the rear seat bottom cushion. Wait 2 minutes and reverse the process. That or waiting several hours for the car to sleep, or a software update should fix it.

Mine started doing this awhile back when I picked it up from a service appointment. Reported it. Tesla told me they would not look at it under warranty and to file an arb case if I didn't agree. Arb case pending for months as Tesla won't pay the fees for an arbitrator to be assigned. Keeping it classy... Eh.