Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very disappointed with new Model S Performance USB...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well it is the usb that totally disappoint me. You have 2 usb in the glove box. One is taken up by the NEW wireless charger they installed. So I have both a USB full of music I love and a TeslaCam USB. So 3 USB only 2 in glove box. The rear seat usb will not work for music or TeslaCam. And you cannot put music on the TeslaCam USB because it does not play.

Anybody come up with a work around???

M

I tried both of these solutions and reporting back. They both worked.

The usb charger worked fine but 2 things about the work around I did not like. 1 - the wireless charger cord is not quite long enough and the compartment rubber did not fit quite right. 2 - The charger works even when car is off.

The partitioning of a large USB drive works fine. The only difficulty came when trying to partition the USB and all computers in our home are Mac OS. I did finally figure it out. I was a little scared that the partition would so the USB some but I was able to down load to the TeslaCam Partition and listen to music.

Again thank you to both these members for ideas.

Now if I could only figure out how to play videos (MP4) on the scream so I can convert the Tesla to a drive in theatre in all this social distancing and all...

M

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
I'm new to Tesla but I have been spending time working on these little issues. I can use the wireless charger but my wife's phone is older and needs the Apple cable. I added an SSD drive with USB cable and partitioned it for both music MP3 files and the TeslaCam MP4 videos. Works very well except for one annoying problem. There is no way to play the Sentry videos on the Tesla screen. I am working on a solution for that too as pulling the SSD drive hidden under the rubber mat in the console is way too much trouble. I'll report back if my idea works. If I still need a data USB the white Apple charging/data cable can be switched to the 12vdc adapter.
IMG_1754.jpg

Hi TravelFree. Can you tell me where you got the organizer for the front sliding compartment? Is that yours a 2020 Model S? It is amazing how small USB drives are now. You can't even see the Sandisk Cruzer I have in the USB slot.

M

Attachments

• IMG_3916 2.jpg
    IMG_3916 2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 100
Well it is the usb that totally disappoint me. You have 2 usb in the glove box. One is taken up by the NEW wireless charger they installed. So I have both a USB full of music I love and a TeslaCam USB. So 3 USB only 2 in glove box. The rear seat usb will not work for music or TeslaCam. And you cannot put music on the TeslaCam USB because it does not play.

Anybody come up with a work around???

M

You CAN put TeslaCam and music on the same physical USB device if you partition it (so that it appears like two distinct drives in your computer OS). You can do this with either MacOS or Windows (probably Linux too but I'm no expert there). Note that you will need to choose appropriate sizes for the two partitions so you have enough room for music on one and TeslaCam on the other. I use a partitioned SSD and it works like a charm.

Hi @TravelFree , if you’re a bit Tech Savy you might want to setup this solution for saving and uploading Sentry footage. In addition you can add this functionality for reviewing what was uploaded on any browser. Kudo’s go to both developers.

I’ve been using these solutions in a combined setup for a long time now and I love it. Viewing the video in the car’s browser is also possible via reverse proxy techniques and setting up a Hotspot and an additional Raspberry PI unit at home, but not by default provided by Tesla.

I got the tray on Amazon. I like it because it lifts out to access the larger compartment underneath. View attachment 527987

The 2020 MS LR+ was delivered March 19th.
I have that try and it is great.....I can charge my iPhone 6 plus with battery case wirelessly.....the 3-charging rings cover a very large area and do a great job.......one of the best accessories I have purchased from my car.......the wireless charge Tesla puts in will not allow my bar=ttery case to fit, plus it is hard to see and access

Hi @TravelFree , if you’re a bit Tech Savy you might want to setup this solution for saving and uploading Sentry footage. In addition you can add this functionality for reviewing what was uploaded on any browser. Kudo’s go to both developers.

I’ve been using these solutions in a combined setup for a long time now and I love it. Viewing the video in the car’s browser is also possible via reverse proxy techniques and setting up a Hotspot and an additional Raspberry PI unit at home, but not by default provided by Tesla.

Thanks for the links. I'm working on a simpler approach that will access my SSD drive hidden under the lower rubber bottom of the center console. I can't test it until the part comes in this weekend. I had read about using the Tesla browser and cloud access with YT player but all the systems were pretty awkward. I guess if you got it working and are happy, great! I wanted a simple plug n play and cheap way to view the recorded sentry files as fast as plugging into the USB. My setup will be a bit more wiring because I need to power the SSD but if I had used a thumb drive it would be even easier. My goal is to be able to view the files fast and on the road. Hoping to also manage the files to the cloud or delete them too from the drive.

I have that try and it is great.....I can charge my iPhone 6 plus with battery case wirelessly.....the 3-charging rings cover a very large area and do a great job.......one of the best accessories I have purchased from my car.......the wireless charge Tesla puts in will not allow my bar=ttery case to fit, plus it is hard to see and access

I have a bumper case on my iphone 11 Max so it fits but is real snug. The spring loaded sides makes it difficult. I'd like to fix them open if possible. I almost bought the tray with the built in charger until I saw the MS LR+ came with the wireless charger.