Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very disappointing new M3 experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, there’s people in the waiting room hitting refresh on Tesla.com multiple times a day waiting for a VIN (I was one).

I love this car; was new to Tesla so I did my homework and knew what to expect. Read the forum, watched the videos. I get that not everyone is in to that (my wife) but it helps to be prepared. Did a trip from SF to Monterey this weekend and wish I’d bought a 3 sooner.

OP came across as “old man yells at cloud”.
Should your personal enthusiasm set the standard for the rest of the customer base? Maybe some old men are interested in the car without the fanaticism.

I imagine the buying experience for him a decade ago was different from today, without an expectation of having to sit in a waiting room hitting refresh on Tesla.com multiple times a day. Don't think that's an implicit requirement of a vehicle purchase...

First of all, what you need to know is that I have owned a Model S for almost EIGHT years (yes, I was one of Tesla's very early customers -- Note my join date to the left). I have been so thrilled with that car, that there was never any question that my next car would be another Tesla.

My experience so far with my week-old Model 3 LR has been a very different story. For starters, the delivery time-frame was way off — In August I was told November, and got it in September. That would normally be a good thing, except for the fact that I only had a few days notice that the car was coming far earlier than expected, and was unable to get the new NEMA 6-50 outlet installed, or the additional other accessories that I wanted before the car arrived, some of which are now out-of-stock.

When I picked up the car, the dealer spent almost no time helping me with the features of the car (many of which were new to me), or setting things up. They helped me enable the feature that unlocks the car with my phone, and then turned me loose. That is completely unacceptable for a car of this complexity.

I had an inordinate amount of trouble setting up the profiles for my wife and myself. Still not convinced everything is function as it should.

When using the screen (sitting in the garage, not driving), it frequently suddenly dims, and then freezes, requiring one of those double thumbwheel resets. THIS IS MAJOR BUG!

The online manual is poorly written, and, worst of all, is hopelessly out of date, and apparently describes an earlier model. For example, my center console looks and operates very differently then the one described in the manual. The “dashcam” section is joke — More on this below.

The car’s onscreen manual either appears to be only a small subset of the online one, or the search feature simply doesn’t work, not sure which is the case, and not wasting any more time on it.

My first call to your tech support line was answered by someone who apparently knew almost nothing about the car, and was clearly referring to the user manual while on the phone. I am well aware of online manuals, and know how to download and use them. If the answer was in the manual, I wouldn’t have been calling.

The 2nd day, I noticed an annoying “whining” sound when my wife was backing out of the garage. Had no idea this is an audible warning, which prompted another call to tech support. Another shortcoming of the dealer delivery experience.

The car also frequently makes odd buzzing/grinding noises while just sitting in the garage. Maybe this has to do with “preconditioning”, whatever that is, or perhaps cooling/heating the battery while charging. Still not sure what’s going on here, and never got a satisfying answer from phone tech support on this subject.

The so-called “dashcam” feature in this car is either not working, or it simply doesn’t function like virtually every other 3rd-party dashcam on the market, several of which I have owned. I have already wasted NUMEROUS hours on this problem, either on the phone, or posting online, trying to figure this out. At this time, it looks like it’s not working properly, but still not really sure.

And last, but most certainly not least, NO BUILT-IN GARAGE DOOR OPENER? SERIOUSLY??? My 2-year old Subaru, which cost FAR LESS than this car, came with one. We’re talking about a five-dollar (at most) piece of silicon here. C’mon you guys, that’s ridiculous.

Needless to say, unlike my old MS, this is not a car I would be likely to recommend to anyone. If this had been an Amazon purchase, there is a good chance it would already be on it’s way back to Amazon.
This is not the car’s fault. It’s the fault of the delivery person. To not recommen the car because you didn’t know how it works is not fair.

Should your personal enthusiasm set the standard for the rest of the customer base? Maybe some old men are interested in the car without the fanaticism.

I imagine the buying experience for him a decade ago was different from today, without an expectation of having to sit in a waiting room hitting refresh on Tesla.com multiple times a day. Don't think that's an implicit requirement of a vehicle purchase...
I’d hardly call watching the videos that Tesla sends you pre-delivery “fanaticism” but ok.

In fact, they send an email titled “Get to Know Your Model 3.”

Like an earlier poster said, complaining about the car arriving early because OP did not have garage charging set up makes him sound like a troll.

Last edited:
Earlier I talked about how happy I am with my new M3P, though this morning the car did not recognize my phone key and everything had been set back to factory default. AND it had no cell signal so no map. AND the "creep" mode choice was grayed out. The car reset itself three times (only once at my instruction), and I had to bluetooth-pair my phone again each time.

Still love driving the car. I hope the firmware settles down. And I hope I get dashcam functionality at some point. Cell signal came back on the third reset.

The Model 3 does not include HomeLink standard? If not how does one purchase it? When configuring a Model 3 on Teslas web site the only options I see are trim (SR+, LR, and Perf), exterior and interior color, wheels (for SR+ and LR) and FSD. There are no other options. Or am I missing something?

The Model 3 does not include HomeLink standard? If not how does one purchase it? When configuring a Model 3 on Teslas web site the only options I see are trim (SR+, LR, and Perf), exterior and interior color, wheels (for SR+ and LR) and FSD. There are no other options. Or am I missing something?

It must be purchased after you own the car. Its one of the silliest things tesla has done, imo. I dont have an issue with them charging for it and not including it standard. They dont want to pay the licensing fee for each car. Its fine for them to charge for it, but it should be a clickable thing on the order screen.

There is virtually zero chance tesla is making money on this because the cost of it (currently $325? I dont follow it I am not sure used to be $300), includes labor to install it, including from mobile service.

It must be purchased after you own the car. Its one of the silliest things tesla has done, imo. I dont have an issue with them charging for it and not including it standard. They dont want to pay the licensing fee for each car. Its fine for them to charge for it, but it should be a clickable thing on the order screen.

There is virtually zero chance tesla is making money on this because the cost of it (currently $325? I dont follow it I am not sure used to be $300), includes labor to install it, including from mobile service.
This is foolish. I agree it should be an orderable option when purchasing the car. Are there any other "features" available I may not be aware of?

This is foolish. I agree it should be an orderable option when purchasing the car. Are there any other "features" available I may not be aware of?

Not that I can think of (remembering your thread on purchasing your vehicle). I think homelink was removed from model 3s as a standard feature around May of 2019 (coinciding with some price cuts if I remember).

Homelink is being obsoleted by smart devices and home automation applications. MyQ and other similar tech will likely be integrated down the road.

I use my Apple Watch to open my door regardless of the vehicle I’m driving (or if I’m out walking or running). I can also use Siri for voice command if my hands are full. This is the future, not programmable Homelink modules, internal combustion engines, blockbuster video, or AM/FM radios.

In the car I did command strip an opener to the drivers side door pocket. Just don’t see the value in investing $325 in tech that’s clearly on its way out.

Tim

There is a bit of "piling on" happening here. I understand some of the responses, but its also quite true that Tesla has changed a TON in the last 8 years, both as a company and as a product.

Just because someone has had a car for 8 years, that doesnt mean they are scrolling through forums and such all the time. The OPs mistake was expecting / not verifying things like "what does the delivery experience look like now vs when I bought my car 8 years ago?" if that was important to them.

Given that much of the world is still in an ongoing pandemic, its not surprising that there is less handholding, but even if there was no pandemic, the experience the OP had on pickup would be much different than it was 8 years ago, and thats just facts.

Like I said, I understand some of the responses, but also think that there is a bit of ganging up happening here.

I've written about this before, and I'll write it again: Tesla should have an interactive tutorial in the car.

Although it would require money and time to keep it up to date to match some version changes, it would ultimately be a lot cheaper than having staff do it. And it would scale.

(I remember that in 2009 my 2010 Prius came with an introductory DVD.)

Instead Tesla's cost-cutting, which started due to the botched production ramp of the Model 3, leaves people in the lurch with an unfamiliar interface.

Homelink is being obsoleted by smart devices and home automation applications. MyQ and other similar tech will likely be integrated down the road.

I use my Apple Watch to open my door regardless of the vehicle I’m driving (or if I’m out walking or running). I can also use Siri for voice command if my hands are full. This is the future, not programmable Homelink modules, internal combustion engines, blockbuster video, or AM/FM radios.

In the car I did command strip an opener to the drivers side door pocket. Just don’t see the value in investing $325 in tech that’s clearly on its way out.

Tim
Well said.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I've written about this before, and I'll write it again: Tesla should have an interactive tutorial in the car.

Although it would require money and time to keep it up to date to match some version changes, it would ultimately be a lot cheaper than having staff do it. And it would scale.

(I remember that in 2009 my 2010 Prius came with an introductory DVD.)

Instead Tesla's cost-cutting, which started due to the botched production ramp of the Model 3, leaves people in the lurch with an unfamiliar interface.
Before you get your car, Tesla directs you to a series of tutorial videos that intend to get you up to speed about the basics of the car (at least I was during the pandemic):
Meet Your Tesla

It doesn't cover everything (there are other guides on Youtube that cover a lot more), but it should be able to cover most of the basics.

I liked the hands off nature too. But like you I was already very familiar with the car before getting it.

We loved the process! My only direct communication with a person was the SA during the delivery. I also had the experience boosted by going from the order online to driving away in 9 days :D

My exposure to the car was this site for a couple of weeks and I scanned through a couple of videos sent my way during the purchase. I figured if I could get it into D, I'd be good to go, and I'd sit and knock around, explore the details, etc., once I got it home.

I mean, just sitting the parking lot in the 15 minutes before I left: I configured the lights, got a sense of the D/R/P toggles, adjusted my seat/mirrors/wheels, set the wipers to auto, and connected my phone and had music streaming.

re: the noise/sounds

Yes, it does that on occasion, sometimes I'll go fetch something out it, and it'll hum for a few minutes after opening/closing the door. Most cars make sounds like compressors, fuel pumps, various temp management.

Heck, our Wrangler 4xe (it's a PHEV) does the same sort of thing - sometimes they both do it, which I assume is some kind communication between the two, you know, discussion the plan for taking over the planet.

I for one, welcome our new electric vehicle overlords ...

There is a bit of "piling on" happening here. I understand some of the responses, but its also quite true that Tesla has changed a TON in the last 8 years, both as a company and as a product.

Just because someone has had a car for 8 years, that doesnt mean they are scrolling through forums and such all the time. The OPs mistake was expecting / not verifying things like "what does the delivery experience look like now vs when I bought my car 8 years ago?" if that was important to them.

Given that much of the world is still in an ongoing pandemic, its not surprising that there is less handholding, but even if there was no pandemic, the experience the OP had on pickup would be much different than it was 8 years ago, and thats just facts.

Like I said, I understand some of the responses, but also think that there is a bit of ganging up happening here.
Personal attacks have no place on a forum, agreed. However, when a poster starts a rant thread, especially when a lot of it seems to be a simple lack of research, naturally many will disagree and it may seem like piling on, but it's not on purpose, and I don't see how it can be avoided. Not everything is going to be spoon fed to the owners. And this is industry wide. Also, not every Tesla experience is going to be the same. My experience was the opposite. I had a sales rep who made himself available to answer any question, and who followed up after I had the car for a week. Should it be like this everywhere? Sure, but it's a work in progress and there are other factors to consider.

Another thing with rants is we're only reading one side of the story. We don't know the demeanor of the poster when they approached service.

If 'piling on' is not something the forum wants, then I have to agree with those who said threads like these should be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.