Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very interesting battery observation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am no battery expert but I have decided to see if there is a difference in how I charge my car. All charges are done at home. Here are a few observations:

upload_2019-11-6_20-7-55.jpeg

1. The left orange readings are for charging to 85-90% from about 65% over the past few weeks. Interesting to note that the estimated ranges are all over the place, including down to 306.

2. The levels on the right in green are following a two week stint with the car set to 80% max charge. Same drop to about 55-65% daily. The graph on the right appears smooth to about the 309-310 mark where the car is rated.

3. I charge the car an hour before leaving and use smart climate to heat the car about twenty minutes before leaving. The car drives like a dream and seems to use less energy on routine drives with this, despite the inclement weather.

4. Regen appears way better from the start of the trip when the car is charged at max 80%. Anything above 83% seems to delay it a little until the car dips to 79%.

5. Uncertain if the observations are due to the car just settling into a rhythm or if the pundits who claim that Tesla batteries are happiest from 55-75 are correct. The car certainly seems to drive better at this sweet spot.

6. Incidental finding. Autopilot seems less frugal at battery preservation (chill mode) than when I drive. Also Non-Chill mode seems more efficient when the car is at 70-74.

Just a few observations over the past few weeks.

Reactions: ralph142
Moral of story when numbers are all over the place. You are making decisions based on data that isn't solid. Don't make the decisions.

3) So you use the energy before you drive as opposed to during it. Seattle just doesn't get that cold.
4) Yep, that's the way regen works. Full batteries and cold batteries will decrease ability for regen.
5) First part, the pundits reasoning have nothing to do with this particular observation
6) Speed is the biggest factor at mileage. Whether a human or autopilot does it, 75 mph is a lot worse than 55 mph.

My recommendation, put the apps away and just enjoy the car. Make a 300 miles+ trip.

Thanks for the reply. Possibly too few data points as mentioned, but for the past week the graph still looks the same. No crazy dispersions, just smoothing around 309-310. I'll let you know if anything more is noted. However with the new update coming I'm not certain that I will be comparing apples to apples. Thanks again for the replies.

Reactions: go2realize