Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very low mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello here, new Tesla owner.

I took possession of my Model 3 (Long Range, 2020) a few weeks ago.

I'm using a Tesla Wall charger with a 60A breaker and I charge steady at 48A.

The car is rated for 518 KM.

This week-end I had a 220 KM drive to do (110 KM to go, 110 KM to get back).

I left charged at 90%.

When I got back I was at 11% ????

The temperature was cold: between -5'C and -10'C
Also, I stopped for a few hours (I had dinner with friends) before I come back.
Finally, I did warm up the car 5 minutes before leaving.

But still: 80% battery drain for 220 KM ?

Is that normal ?
Is there something wrong with my battery ?

I am extremely disappointed with this range...

I was expecting less battery efficiency because of cold weather but definitely not THAT much!

How fast did you drive and was there any precipitation or wind? What did your wh/km show? Did you use the heater? That kind of range loss may be perfectly normal depending on the driving conditions. Also, you may have had some range loss while parked due to sentry or leaving the always on for summon mode (which is a vampire drain)

You can model the trip using A Better Route Planner and enter in all the weather, payload, speed conditions and see if the predicted value is close to what your actuals were.

How fast did you drive and was there any precipitation or wind? What did your wh/km show? Did you use the heater? That kind of range loss may be perfectly normal depending on the driving conditions. Also, you may have had some range loss while parked due to sentry or leaving the always on for summon mode (which is a vampire drain)

You can model the trip using A Better Route Planner and enter in all the weather, payload, speed conditions and see if the predicted value is close to what your actuals were.

I drove pretty much all the way on auto-pilot at 110 KM.
Normal wind, no snow, good driving conditions except the cold weather.
Yes I used the heater... it was -10'C

For the trip, 233 Wh/km was reported.
I have no idea what it means though

That is a pretty high wh/km which would correspond to the poor efficiency in the cold weather at highway speeds. Higher numbers = less efficient (more energy needed to travel the same amount of km) Use your navigation for all longish trips (even if you know where you are going) - that will help you get a feel for what kind of range loss you will see in cold weather. Your trip planner screen when using navigation will show a dotted line for what your rated wh/km should be to get full range as well as a line for what you are currently actually getting.

Reactions: Rocky_H

-10C will easily knock off 25+% off your range. Speed and heat will be the other big factors. Add in the higher rolling resistance of snow tires, required in Quebec province, and yeah, you could have reduced your range by 45%.

Ugo, since you're in Montreal, maybe you read French? You could look here, someone from Quebec did a nice writeup of driving a Model 3 in the Quebec winter : Batterie Standard Range Plus; est-ce suffisant pour les déplacements courants au Québec (avec l'impact du froid) - Model 3 Québec.
Essentially it can be 40-50% loss in big colds, worse with short trips because of heating. I haven't received mine but expect the 515km might be closer to 260 at highway speeds in the coldest days of winter...

• Helpful
Generally OK. In general, we think that low-mile used vehicles are a splendid decision, even if mileage looks strangely low. In other words, discover a 10-year-old vehicle with only 10,000 miles on the odometer, and you're likely looking at a top-notch buy rather than a vast range of viable problems down the line.

The car is rated for 518 KM.

I'm not aware that any vehicles are showing this yet at 100%. I think 499/500km is the max currently? I will assume your 100% is 500km for the following, but it doesn't really matter. (Your 2020 vehicle will presumably be eventually updated to show 518km at 100%...)

I left charged at 90%.

When I got back I was at 11% ????

80% battery drain for 220 KM ?

Ok, so 79% of 500rkm (rated km) is 395rkm.

This week-end I had a 220 KM drive to do (110 KM to go, 110 KM to get back).

233 Wh/km was reported.

Using the data in this post: Lines & Constants

You should have used: 233Wh/km*220km / ~143Wh/rkm = ~359rkm.

So, you should have seen ~359rkm used while driving. And if you had taken pictures it you probably would have (might have been as low as 352rkm).

So you are "missing" 395rkm - 359rkm = 36 rkm

Note the trip meter "Wh/km" does not count ANY use while in park. So that energy used to prewarm the car was not counted. Also, vampire losses were not counted.

The heater you used to prewarm the car for 5 minutes was probably drawing at least 7kW during that time. That is 580Wh, or 4rkm. So that leaves at most 32rkm unaccounted for.

You said it was a trip over the weekend - the car was sitting unused for a while. Those kilometers were likely lost due to vampire drain (likely 5km per day minimum), Sentry Mode, Summon Standby Mode (if you had been using this you would have seen more unaccounted for use so I don't suspect it), or some other source. It does make sense to check to make sure you are not draining excessively and turn off any big culprits.

But overall, to me this seems like a very normal result. All is well.

The important thing to realize is that usage is nearly always completely explainable. Particularly driving use can be calculated with reasonably high precision.