Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very squeaky noises when steering column moves in/out during Easy Entry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any way to fix this? (at home b4 I need to bring to Service shop)

I already tried to put a little WD40 on the areas of the steering column which meets the rubber edges, but it doesn't help.
My wife is driving me crazy whenever I get in/out of the car and hears this noise.

If someone needs a video of the noise, I can post. ANyone have the same problem?

I wonder whether it is result of wear and tear as steering columns are not meant to be moved that frequently. Same thing happened to my old 70D. No doubt became evident when Elon gave us the easy entry function.

Glad to say though I noticed the squeeking, my tone deaf wife couldn’t hear it ...

Any way to fix this? (at home b4 I need to bring to Service shop)

I already tried to put a little WD40 on the areas of the steering column which meets the rubber edges, but it doesn't help.
My wife is driving me crazy whenever I get in/out of the car and hears this noise.

If someone needs a video of the noise, I can post. ANyone have the same problem?

My 100D will have the telescopic steering column motor replaced for a SECOND time next week. I believe I know why and am (probably) the culprit for this happening.

Consider the fact these vehicles are not necessarily the "easiest" to get in and out of the driver's seat due to seat positioning in relation to the B-pillar we often use the steering wheel (whether using easy entry or not) to pull ourselves in and out. It's my belief that if I'm too impatient to wait for the motor to fully retract the wheel to the dashboard and I pull on the wheel while in motion to exit it causes the gearing mechanism (I suspect this is the design) to get bent ever so slightly, thereby causing a rubbing/squealing noise while in motion thereafter.

Hopefully this description makes sense and perhaps resonates with some of you!

Cheers,
Steve

I will preface this by saying that my current service advisor is excellent, and deserves a promotion and a raise. Management, not so much, but that's been a chronic problem at this location for years.

3rd steering column being installed now at ~50K miles. The 2nd one went in about a year ago if I remember correctly.

How curious it is that today the SvC asserts that the groaning/grinding is now due to "pulling" and made a point of noting that there will be just a 90-day warranty for their 3rd steering column.

Evidently, it appears that they googled and found the recent post upthread, since they've stated that they haven't seen such a case before.

So while I still contend that that's just a crap excuse offered by the SvC to blame the customer, (no offense intended to the poster above), here are a couple of pictures that show a) the column, and b) what they are calling "indentations". Can't feel them with a finger so I'll just call them "marks".

I didn't have this problem with the 1st S over ~60K miles. To have now with the 2nd S a THIRD column in ~50K miles and for them to blame the customer is pretty sad.

What changed over those 110K miles? Simple: Easy Entry was added, which for those unaware, telescopes the wheel every single time one prepares to exit the vehicle. Which clearly these columns are not intended to endure - at least without making grinding or groaning sounds over time.

I asked the first time if there was a lubricant. They said no. I asked the second time. They said yes. But replaced the column anyway.

Also overheard the comment from a different service advisor talking with a different customer that "we no longer goodwill anything".

Yeah. Good times.

IMG_0673.jpg
IMG_0672.jpg

Concern: #VSC Customer States: steering wheel adjustment vibrates, and feels rough. PER MOBILE SERVICE
RECOMMENDING STEERING COLUMN REPLACEMENT- frank

Verified concern, steering column vibrates when adjusting steering wheel forward or backwardRemoved lower instrument
panel leather and inspected steering column assembly.Found steering column to have excessive preload, causing
noise.Lubricated steering column shaft and adjusted preload.Noise and vibration no longer present.Tested and checked
repair multiple times throughout the day for quality control, ok at this time.

Correction: Shaft - Steering Column - Intermediate Upper (Remove &
Replace)

I think I have a similar situation. This is what they did for service. I'm picking up my car tomorrow.