Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very strange vampire battery drain, need experts help.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ladies and gentlemen, guys and girls.
Need some advice and help.
Tesla model 3 , Long range, 2018 with 3466 mi. Software version 2019.24.4 No external applications running on the phone, even original Tesla app is signed out and delited. Mobile access turned off. No sentry mode running. No overheat cabin protection enabled. Basically everything is off and I use key card to use the car. (I try to narrow dawn what can be the problem )
I live in North Bay, California. Day temperature 85-95 F, nights 60-65F
Very strange vampire drain going on . At work car parked outside, no garage available. In 8 hours car will lose 10-11 mi in 8 hours sitting parked, same thing every single day. Sometimes I have to go to work at night for couple of hours and car will lose 4-5 miles in a single hour sitting outside. At the same time , if parked in my home garage and not driven for 4 days, unplugged, it will only lose 1 mi a day, or 4 mi in 4 days. did this experiment couple of times already with simular results. I did notice this behavior only lately on last couple of software updates. Hard reboot doesn't help at all. I heard about very popular service TeslaFi, but didn't used it yet.
Experts, maybe you can shed some light what's going on and what can be done. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

At work, car doesn't connect to WiFi at all. At home in garage, with WiFi on , very minimal drain, 1 mi in 24 hours without driving. As soon as I drive and park at work, drain begins.

And “Keep Climate On” is also off, it’s different from Cabin Overheat Protection, and lastly TeslaCam is turned off?

Check Data Sharing again, make sure you have “No” checked off in both boxes. This turns back on when using that Nav Maps

Fred

Last edited:
Man, that does sound like Sentry mode like @Saghost mentioned. Take out your USB drive to be sure (along with turning it off in settings). Also, double check sentry operation next time you walk up to your car. Before using your keycard, tap on the side window with your finger with the keycard sitting 10 feet or so away, with you in full view of the side repeaters and see if the car horn honks, turns on it's parking lights and you get the "HAL 2000" on the screen. If still nothing, I'm stumped.

Well, what's your car's mobile signal strength at work? Even though you disable mobile access, I do believe it's still up and connected to the service provider (ATT maybe?) for Tesla to get in. I know my mobile phone's battery TANKS quickly in areas of low signal strength.

Oh, (sorry, one more thing...) I would probably disable WiFi completely too. All you will lose is access to software downloads but that should be fine while you troubleshoot.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
OP

I would also suggest turning off wifi completely while you check. Reading your first post, as others said it sounds like sentry mode loss, but you checked that. The other thing that stands out to me is the fact that it drains at work, but not at home.

This sounds like data sharing or wifi (bad cell connection at work by the car, and / or wifi trying to connect but not able to. Have you EVER joined wifi at work (your companies guest wifi etc? Go into the wifi settings to ensure that there is no saved connection for where you are at work, and turn off data sharing.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
As a diagnostic effort, turn mobile access back on and after the car has been parked at work for a while, go into the app from your phone and see if Sentry mode somehow turned itself back on?

I can't figure out why it would be different at home from at work unless it's Sentry - the data theory is possible, but I wouldn't expect that to eat as much power as you're losing.

As a diagnostic effort, turn mobile access back on and after the car has been parked at work for a while, go into the app from your phone and see if Sentry mode somehow turned itself back on?

I can't figure out why it would be different at home from at work unless it's Sentry - the data theory is possible, but I wouldn't expect that to eat as much power as you're losing.

Any other location-based features that could prevent the car from turning off properly?
Not following climate settings properly, and the high daytime temperatures causing climate drain?

OP, how is the car's internal temperatures at the end of the work day?

Any remote monitoring software?

Any other location-based features that could prevent the car from turning off properly?
Not following climate settings properly, and the high daytime temperatures causing climate drain?

OP, how is the car's internal temperatures at the end of the work day?

Any remote monitoring software?

No remote software at all.
Temperature is normal inside the cabin at the end of the day, because my working hours 15:30 till 23:30.

Status
Not open for further replies.