Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla model 3 RWD battery drain while parked problem and park assist unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone for the RCM suggestion! I was finally able to pressure Tesla to look into my phantom drain issue seriously and replaced the RCM.

For anyone that needs a reference.
Invoice number 3000S0007783490

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230817-083922.png
    Screenshot_20230817-083922.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 208
Was finally able to get drain issue fixed with RCM replacement. Big thank you to this forum - there's no way I would have figured it out without your updates/advice.
How did you convince them? I was told they did a diagnosis and since everything came out fine they can’t just replace random parts. I asked so why then is 12% loss every 24 hrs happening they said diagnosis looks fine and parked my car outside and told me it’s ready for pickup…really stressful

1. I had to submit the ticket in the "noise" category to schedule an appointment, otherwise the ticket would just get ignored under the "battery" category
2. I provided the Invoice number that others provided online with the RCM replacement. You can use my invoice number 3000S0007783490
3. I documented a log of battery status with time stamps.
4. I charged the car and let it sat for 2 days to show them the consumption from driving was only 5% while it consumed 18% as vehicle standby

That's my 5th ticket BTW...

How did you convince them? I was told they did a diagnosis and since everything came out fine they can’t just replace random parts. I asked so why then is 12% loss every 24 hrs happening they said diagnosis looks fine and parked my car outside and told me it’s ready for pickup…really stressful
Don't engage in a conversation that is open (like asking them why 12% is normal), that will only leave both parties frustrated.

This is what the spec says, ~1% on average. See: Range Tips | Tesla Support Canada
Save a few screenshots that show the loss over 24 hours. Save the odometer reading and clock on the screen as evidence. Save a few more days as backup.

Tell them you have 10% drain for the last month, every day. It's way over 1% spec. Also offer to take up to date screenshots as needed to ask them how you can help them help you root cause the issue. Tell them up front all the debug you did (all modes off, resets, factory reset), or they'll just treat you like any other customer who doesn't know how to use their car.

Reactions: lunaj23
Like others have mentioned, you need documentation. Not sure if you have mentioned it to them, but you need to explain to them that your car is not sleeping. If you have only mentioned the battery loss, they will continue to brush it off as “normal.”

Over the course of a few days I documented the drain by taking photos of the in car screen. I made sure that the time, date, battery percentage and odometer were all included in the photos, in addition to photos of energy app. During that time I also didn’t use my phone key or app to access the car. I only used the key card so that there would be no other consumption listed on the in car energy app.

Using the in car energy app, you need to show them that your car is not sleeping and that consumption is coming from “vehicle standby.”

Turn off preconditioning, cabin overheat, sentry, summon etc. If you are having the same issue we were, the energy app will show that vehicle standby is continually draining your car while parked. This will confirm your car is not sleeping.

If you cannot go without driving your car for at least 24 hours while documenting the drain with lots of photos, it is going to be difficult to get them to believe you.

Tesla has a team that will vet your service request before your information ever makes it to a service center. To get past the initial team, you need to have your documentation ready when you request the service appointment. Even after I flooded them with photos, they asked me for more.

I understand it is annoying, believe me, I did not enjoy having to document it myself lol. But being persistent should pay off.

Reactions: Tonylam2002200
Not sure if you have mentioned it to them, but you need to explain to them that your car is not sleeping.
And to add to @lunaj23, you can use my referral code and get 2 more weeks of free access to teslafi.com, besides the 2 they give as a new user.
It will be easy to prove the fact that your car isn’t sleeping because once registered, you have access to something like this:

IMG_0516.jpeg

The light blue is the car sleeping, the dark(ish) blue is the active car. D = drive started, S = Sleep started.

The "park assist unavailable' error (is/was) the ultrasonic sensors malfunctioning. Either one of them was bad or the wiring. Start a service request. I don't know if brand new cars still have the ultrasonics.
I have a new model 3 RWD and can attest to the park assist unavailable happening all the time. The new cars don’t have ultrasonics so if the camera is confused it gives that message. I’ve come to terms with it.. still sad I can’t impress my friends by a self parking car and if we are being honest I don’t feel confident in trying the FSD with my vision only car.

Everything else about the car is amazing.. No complaints with the driving. Being in 100+ F temps in Texas has been a bit of a energy drain but I think that’s just like dealing with serious cold weather.

And to add to @lunaj23, you can use my referral code and get 2 more weeks of free access to teslafi.com, besides the 2 they give as a new user.
It will be easy to prove the fact that your car isn’t sleeping because once registered, you have access to something like this:

View attachment 966651

The light blue is the car sleeping, the dark(ish) blue is the active car. D = drive started, S = Sleep started.
Except one of the boiler plate responses to car not sleeping is telling you not to use third party apps. Tesla also will not do warranty requests based on third party apps (for example some tried to use them for battery capacity tracking). As such it's counter productive.

Just wondering, did any of you with the "park assist unavailable" problem in addition to the battery drain have the park assist come and go? I've had park assist unavailable problem for 2 straight weeks, but wouldn't you know it, it started working again today right before my schedule service appointment tomorrow. I think the battery is still draining while parked so hopefully they'll still replace my RCM.

Just wondering, did any of you with the "park assist unavailable" problem in addition to the battery drain have the park assist come and go? I've had park assist unavailable problem for 2 straight weeks, but wouldn't you know it, it started working again today right before my schedule service appointment tomorrow. I think the battery is still draining while parked so hopefully they'll still replace my RCM.
Yes I got the Park Assist Unavailable as well. The first time Tesla performed das reset , das ping and finished with a 12v reset but problem came back.

The second time they replaced the camera module but problem came back again.

The third time they did another DAS reset and the camera was fine for two weeks. Until two weeks after with the appointment to replace the RCM.

For those of you with very new cars experiencing this issue and getting the runaround:

1) Opt out of the arbitration clause immediately by following the instructions in your order agreement

2) email [email protected] informing them of the challenges you’re having with your brand new car, the service centers not taking you seriously, and the observed vehicle behavior not matching what the owners manual clearly states and that you want to initiate a buyback or other legal resolution.

I suspect you’ll find the service center will suddenly be more sympathetic to your claim.

Except one of the boiler plate responses to car not sleeping is telling you not to use third party apps. Tesla also will not do warranty requests based on third party apps (for example some tried to use them for battery capacity tracking). As such it's counter productive.
Yes, Maybe, No
You have a proof of the car not going to sleep by showing the Energy info. Teslafi reading is only in support of the fact that your car is using kWh when it shouldn’t.

I tried that in the UK without much joy. They repeated what service said which at the time was that it was a non issue. When I let them know numerous owners had the same problem I suddenly got much better response and fix soon after.

Hi all, new here. I had my RCM replaced this week as well. I posted in another thread.

If you park in a garage, put a camera (like nestcam) next to the car and have the camera detect sound events. My car was turning on every hour while parked so the camera was able to record the event.