Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla model 3 RWD battery drain while parked problem and park assist unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Day 29 + 4 weeks: Well, my car actually lost about 20 miles the first week after I got it back, including 8 miles the same afternoon I drove it back from Tesla service. It does indeed seem better now. But this car's problem seems to never end. Last week, one of my tires lost 10 lbs. This is the 2nd tire I've had a problem with. I reinflated it, so who knows how it lost the air? So, yet another Tesla thing to keep track of.

The 1st time I got a flat on the interstate, Tesla wanted to tow me to Tesla service, but I had them tow me home. I didn't want to spend all afternoon at Tesla service since I had to be somewhere that afternoon. 2 days later, the Tesla mobile service truck came out. The 800 # told me they would show up between 7am and 1pm. So I got up before 7am. The guy on the truck showed up at 12:40pm, he told me he doesn't start work until 9am. I guess I didn't really need to sleep. A half hour and $129 later, my flat was repaired. Convenient service, but my problems don't seem to want to end ever. Just when I start to trust this car again, something else happens. Too much goes wrong with this NEW car.

Hello. I've been dealing with this excessive vehicle standby drain for almost a year. Tesla of no help so far. I just ignored it for the last 4 months until I found this forum with a possible fix. I've been chatting with Tesla on the app and sending them timestamps of the drain and they said they are looking into it but that there are no obvious faults showing. I sent them the invoice from this forum showing the fix. Anything else I can do to get them to fix it?

Also my car is 2020 model 3. Has anyone had a 2020 model that was fixed by replacing the RCM?

Thanks so much!

Well, Pep Boys tells me the flat that Tesla fixed was fixed incorrectly and now I need to get a new tire. Unbelievable.
Until this happened, I didn't notice that Tesla sold me this car with 4 Michelin tires...that don't match. 2 of the tires are just marked Michelin. The other 2 are marked Michelin Primacy. Who would think to check the tires are the same when buying a car???

Anyhow, my car has been parked on the driveway for almost a week now. As you may recall, I had my car fixed for the draining a full charge in a about a week problem in July/August (since it took them 29 days to fix it). I noticed this morning that my car lost 5 miles overnight while sitting on the driveway. This car has been nothing but problems since I bought it in April. What a piece of junk.

Well, Pep Boys tells me the flat that Tesla fixed was fixed incorrectly and now I need to get a new tire. Unbelievable.
If Tesla did a mobile service fix, I imagine they didn't unmount the tire from the wheel to fix it from inside (which is what most shops consider a "proper" fix)? And why would an "incorrect" fix require a new tire? Can't they just fix it up properly? Also I wouldn't take the car to Pep Boys or Tesla for a flat fix. I would take it to a tire shops like Discount Tire, which has better experience dealing with flats.
Until this happened, I didn't notice that Tesla sold me this car with 4 Michelin tires...that don't match. 2 of the tires are just marked Michelin. The other 2 are marked Michelin Primacy. Who would think to check the tires are the same when buying a car???
That doesn't really say anything. What is the model on either? If it's the 18" it's likely the Michelin Primacy MXM4. The tire may have different markings perhaps from a generation change, but still be the same model.
Anyhow, my car has been parked on the driveway for almost a week now. As you may recall, I had my car fixed for the draining a full charge in a about a week problem in July/August (since it took them 29 days to fix it)c. I noticed this morning that my car lost 5 miles overnight while sitting on the driveway. This car has been nothing but problems since I bought it in April. What a piece of junk.
That's not unreasonable if the car was kept awake for some reason (like Sentry or cabin overheat). If I recall correctly, the drain before the fix was much more. In my own car I have Sentry on, it drains about 1 mile per hour.

I also had the high battery drain issue in my 2023 Model Y since updated the software in early July. I had an appointment schedule, but ended up trading it in for a new Model X.

For those with service requests getting denied by Tesla at first like me because they misunderstood the issue and said my battery passed remote test, you can open a new service request for the more obvious symptoms. The sentry mode didn't work for me (no recordings even though Mobile app indicate it was turned on), because the car never fully turn off, which also prevent viewing Live Camera using the Tesla Mobile app.

Lastly, I also noticed the Dashcam continuously record and save the last 60 mins because the car never turn off. You can verify by viewing the camera recording after the car slept untouched overnight. You will notice under the Recents screen, the first video clip is 60 mins long with recording of the last 60 mins when no one is inside the car and the car is supposed to be off. This is what led to the high battery drain since the computer and cameras are running 24 hours a day. It is also the reasons why AutoPilot stopped functioning because the computer and/or cameras are overheated since they are not designed to run 24x7.

Last edited:
Pretty common issue by the sound of it, my car consistently wastes electricity sitting. Sometimes it’s the “accepted” 1% per day but often times it’s more than 2-3% per day. I charged it up to 70% at a supercharger, drove 14 miles and I’m down 10% since I charged. Seeing half of that gone to something I have absolutely no control over is incredibly frustrating.

I’ve already done everything I can to fix it, but it’s not improving. I’ve stopped using Tessie and changed my Tesla account password, don’t use any of the features like sentry mode or cabin overheat protection, don’t interact with the app unless I’m going to drive, turned off background app refresh, turned off as many of the data sharing features in the car settings. I’ve put in many service requests with Tesla that go unanswered. Not sure what to do at this point other than just accept it. I’m convinced that this is how Tesla masks battery degradation, it’s a lot easier to pretend the battery is fine if you’re always instructed to keep the car plugged in 24/7.

Attachments

• IMG_0675.jpeg
    IMG_0675.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC