Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla model 3 RWD battery drain while parked problem and park assist unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for the quick response. You being in Toronto, it means you have the MIC model, as mine. I started to use Teslafi.com 10 days after I got my car and it’s a great third party "thing" (I can’t call it an app) that gives me a lot of info about my Tesla. Including the time of sleep and when and how long a charge session occurs.
Mine is the Fremont model 3. I think model 3 in Canada is from Fremont until US changed its rebate rules.

Will need a few months to get over the power drain drama. Not touching that update. Doesn't look like there's an option to stop updates completely. Can we take the car off wifi and maybe it won't download?
Won't download (unless there is a recall, which in rare cases Tesla may push over LTE), but it'll nag you. You can just ignore the nag (close out the window). If you pressed the wrong button and scheduled an update, you can start the update then immediately cancel (before countdown timer is over) and it'll reset to nagging.

Reactions: kevin_camera
+lunaj23, thank you for sharing your invoice number! I've been dealing with this nightmare with an SC in LA (Santa Monica) for months, and they keep refusing to replace RCM and say it's normal drain... Can I ask which SC you went to for your RCM replacement?
If it's the RCM, then like me you should be able to hear a constant "hiss" from the front of the car that's indicative of something keeping the car awake. You might want to add that to the service and have them check it out. The hissing sound is normal during drive, but should not persist throughout the night. It will clue them in to there being something else going on than "typical" drain.

Check your seat weight sensors are working. They tell the car to turn off when you get out and turn on when you get in. If they malfunction the car won't know you are not inside and it stays on.

Get in your car and hit the brake. Do not put your seatbelt on. You will see the seatbelt warning light on. It's a little red guy with a seatbelt. Now lift your body off the seat. The seatbelt warning guy should disappear.

If the seatbelt guy never disappears when you lift or the guy never was there to begin with... It's malfunctioning. It's also a sensor used by the RCM.

@danny pan , good point - I just checked and can hear the slight hiss when I put my ear up against the frunk.

@P3dStealth , thanks for the tip! I checked and didn't reproduce this error. My car has every single symptom described by others, who were only able to have it fixed once RCM was replaced (~10% battery per day while idle, auto-pilot getting disabled intermittently, no battery drain after firmware update, only after it's been driven at least once...)

@lunaj23 hoping you won't mind sharing which SC you wen to... Thanks again!

The autopilot being disabled might be because you factory reset. There is a period of time after a factory reset that there is no autopilot while it calibrates. You have to drive it for a few miles if it wipes the old calibration

+lunaj23, thank you for sharing your invoice number! I've been dealing with this nightmare with an SC in LA (Santa Monica) for months, and they keep refusing to replace RCM and say it's normal drain... Can I ask which SC you went to for your RCM replacement?
You have to keep trying unfortunately. I had to try 3 times and try different location. Can you provide some screenshots for them? Take picture of park energy graph, showing the time and odometer... Then do another 24 hours later.

Maybe a few points to note in your message.

You turned off sentry mode, overheat protection and summon.

You tried reset and factory reset.

This FAQ says 1% drain per day. You had 10% drain over 1 month. Show them their own Tesla website: Range Tips | Tesla Support Canada

(Insert your screenshots, maybe save a few days worth for later if they ask)

You did 2 software updates and no fix yet.

@danny pan , good point - I just checked and can hear the slight hiss when I put my ear up against the frunk.

@P3dStealth , thanks for the tip! I checked and didn't reproduce this error. My car has every single symptom described by others, who were only able to have it fixed once RCM was replaced (~10% battery per day while idle, auto-pilot getting disabled intermittently, no battery drain after firmware update, only after it's been driven at least once...)

@lunaj23 hoping you won't mind sharing which SC you wen to... Thanks again!
Like others have mentioned, you have to be persistent. I had to submit almost a dozen screenshots tracking the drain from the energy application in the car over several days. You just need them to check the logs and they will confirm the car is not sleeping. I went all the way to the Camarillo SC, that was the soonest appointment available at the time.

Although they did take care of the issue, they were not the best. I had to ask for a loaner, and the one they provided was filthy and falling apart. They never responded to any messages either. They did call me to tell me it was going to take a few days for the computer replacement, but I then received a message through the app the repair was complete only a few hours later. No explanation. Oh, and they also lost my key lol.

Last edited:
I forgot to ask this when the issue first started, but did anyone else have one of their seats replaced? Prior to the update that caused the battery drain, the previous update caused an error with the passenger restraint system and they ended up replacing the passenger seat. I wonder if it is somehow related.

I forgot to ask this when the issue first started, but did anyone else have one of their seats replaced? Prior to the update that caused the battery drain, the previous update caused an error with the passenger restraint system and they ended up replacing the passenger seat. I wonder if it is somehow related.
Oh that's interesting. I did not get my seat replaced. I reported that I was hearing a constant "clicking" sound from the passenger seat during drives and this would resolve temporarily if I just adjusted the seat slightly. Always assumed this was completely separate. However, since the RCM was replaced I noticed that the sound disappeared. I've been on the lookout for it since and fully expect it to come back, but it hasn't yet. Will let you know if anything changes but it does make me wonder if it's related.

Oh that's interesting. I did not get my seat replaced. I reported that I was hearing a constant "clicking" sound from the passenger seat during drives and this would resolve temporarily if I just adjusted the seat slightly. Always assumed this was completely separate. However, since the RCM was replaced I noticed that the sound disappeared. I've been on the lookout for it since and fully expect it to come back, but it hasn't yet. Will let you know if anything changes but it does make me wonder if it's related.
Looks like the clicking has returned so it definitely did not get fixed. I will just wait until the next service to report this unless it gets too annoying.

Looks like the clicking has returned so it definitely did not get fixed. I will just wait until the next service to report this unless it gets too annoying.
I learned from my last service appointment they do not address issues that were not reported with 24hrs of your appointment. Not sure if it’s just that service center’s policy or if it’s across the board. How did the update to 2023.26.7 go? Anything broken?

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here because my MY has been having the exact same problems (crazy battery drain, followed by park assist and cruise control not working). Put in a service request just noting those problems and got a repair estimate sent to me today with the fix being an RCM replacement - so it looks like the same story as others. Just giving everyone another data point! Now I just got to wait until Monday for the actual service appointment. I only wish Tesla would reimburse for all the extra charging I've had to do over the last month.