Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla model 3 RWD battery drain while parked problem and park assist unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys,

I just got my new model 3 RWD 3 weeks ago, for the first 2 weeks it ran perfectly fine, I did multiple roadtrips and really enjoyed the tesla experience.

Last saturday, after updating to 2023.20.4.1, things started going south, I started noticing 8-10% battery drain while parked, per day.

Regarding this matter I have tried everything:

-Multiple soft resets
-Sentry off
-Cabin overheat off
-Dashcam off
-Factory reset
-Changed password in tesla app
-Reinstalled software through the service module
-Talked with tesla service, they checked and said nothing is wrong with the car.

Its very frustrating, as I am losing aproximately 100km a week, which is just crazy, and nothing seems to be fixing this.

In addition to this, yesterday when I started up the car, I got the message "Park assist unavailable", just out of the blue, so now my park assist doesnt work, nor does any feature of autopilot or collision assistance or audio feedback.

Is anybody else experiencing the same issues on new model 3s? Considering the fact that I have tried every single thing to solve this issue, might this just be a software related bug that is going to get fixed in the next update?

Thanks in advance everyone.

something sounds really wrong, like the FSD computer which handles the autopilot isn't working at all. not really normal. AP not working at all is a clear warranty problem.

But one more long shot thing to try---the USB stick in the glove compartment for the sentry mode. Try removing it, or jiggling it, and reformatting.

Sometimes changing langauge and then language back, as well as doing the same for tire sizes, results in various kinds of internal resets. But it does feel like something in the upgrade process glitched and one of the computers was not properly upgraded.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Hello guys,

I just got my new model 3 RWD 3 weeks ago, for the first 2 weeks it ran perfectly fine, I did multiple roadtrips and really enjoyed the tesla experience.

Last saturday, after updating to 2023.20.4.1, things started going south, I started noticing 8-10% battery drain while parked, per day.

-Multiple soft resets
-Sentry off
-Cabin overheat off
-Dashcam off
-Factory reset
-Talked with tesla service, they checked and said nothing is wrong with the car.

Its very frustrating, as I am losing aproximately 100km a week, which is just crazy, and nothing seems to be fixing this.

In addition to this, yesterday when I started up the car, I got the message "Park assist unavailable", just out of the blue, so now my park assist doesnt work, nor does any feature of autopilot or collision assistance or audio feedback.

Is anybody else experiencing the same issues on new model 3s? Considering the fact that I have tried every single thing to solve this issue, might this just be a software related bug that is going to get fixed in the next update?

Try disabling summon standby also. Check for the 3 culprits (Sentry, cabin overheat, summon standby) under all profiles (including easy entry).

Reactions: DrChaos
This is my best hope, it being a known issue. Because the first available service date in Romania is 4th of September....

something sounds really wrong, like the FSD computer which handles the autopilot isn't working at all. not really normal. AP not working at all is a clear warranty problem.

But one more long shot thing to try---the USB stick in the glove compartment for the sentry mode. Try removing it, or jiggling it, and reformatting.

Sometimes changing langauge and then language back, as well as doing the same for tire sizes, results in various kinds of internal resets. But it does feel like something in the upgrade process glitched and one of the computers was not properly upgraded.
Its really an anomaly, think about it, regarding the park assist and autopilot features, the day before yesterday all went fine, I have an underground parking lot in a controlled environment where the temperature doesnt exceed 25 degrees celsius, woke up in the morning having the additional park assist unavailable issue just out of the blue, no warning while driving the day before, no nothing, no signs it will break, especially because it is a new car that worked perfectly for 2 weeks.

And the obvious. New car. Complicated high voltage battery. Sometimes new things fail. It’s why there’s warranties.

If something basic doesn’t stop a 10% a day drop in charge, ding Tesla through the app. Now.

1%, maybe 2% “vampire drain” due to the driving computer getting stuck on, the various drains involving sentry mode, the car not entering standby, getting stuck in Dog Mode, or Camp Mode: If you’ve checked all that (and the latter two are obvious, the HVAC will be running), and you’ve done a double scroll wheel reset (hold both scroll wheels down until the screen goes black, then a big “T” appears) and that hasn’t changed anything, then get a wiggle on and contact Tesla. There’s likely something serious going on and you Do Not want to find out what happens if it gets worse.

And the obvious. New car. Complicated high voltage battery. Sometimes new things fail. It’s why there’s warranties.

If something basic doesn’t stop a 10% a day drop in charge, ding Tesla through the app. Now.

1%, maybe 2% “vampire drain” due to the driving computer getting stuck on, the various drains involving sentry mode, the car not entering standby, getting stuck in Dog Mode, or Camp Mode: If you’ve checked all that (and the latter two are obvious, the HVAC will be running), and you’ve done a double scroll wheel reset (hold both scroll wheels down until the screen goes black, then a big “T” appears) and that hasn’t changed anything, then get a wiggle on and contact Tesla. There’s likely something serious going on and you Do Not want to find out what happens if it gets worse.
Ive already been in contact with tesla... They said everything is completely fine with the car, and that I should schedule an appointment for the car to be properly checked. The first available date is 4th of september, what do I do until then? Its so frustrating..

Triy to turn off HVAC and Wi-Fi completely (remove the Wi-Fi connection settings), do not use the app to check it or just uninstall the app for your phone for a day or two, if possible do not use the car for a full day, go to the car to check it in the morning to see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: bckelowna
Its really an anomaly, think about it, regarding the park assist and autopilot features, the day before yesterday all went fine, I have an underground parking lot in a controlled environment where the temperature doesnt exceed 25 degrees celsius, woke up in the morning having the additional park assist unavailable issue just out of the blue, no warning while driving the day before, no nothing, no signs it will break, especially because it is a new car that worked perfectly for 2 weeks.
Do you have LTE signal in that garage? How strong? I have heard of cases where it runs down the battery trying to establish a signal. You can try disabling mobile access in your car to see if this might be the issue (although it may still try to phone home). As others mentioned also try checking if you have any third party apps.

Hello guys,

-Multiple soft resets
-Sentry off
-Cabin overheat off
-Dashcam off
-Factory reset

The "park assist unavailable' error (is/was) the ultrasonic sensors malfunctioning. Either one of them was bad or the wiring. Start a service request. I don't know if brand new cars still have the ultrasonics.

Hello guys,

-Multiple soft resets
-Sentry off
-Cabin overheat off
-Dashcam off
-Factory reset

I am experiencing the same issue on my new model 3 RWD after updating to 2023.20.3.4.1. The battery is draining very fast in normal park mode without all special modes off. I am going to report an issue in the service section of the app. Already called Tesla but they want pictures taken for diagnostics.

I've had the exact same issue as you. Got my M3 LR just over 3 weeks ago. Everything was working great. Then when I got into the car on Monday 26th June, no Autopilot visualization (No lanes, cars, objects nothing but the car showing), and also therefore no park assist or cruise control. I've also notice that I'm losing around 5-6% over 15 hours or so.

I've raised a service notification with Tesla regarding the autopilot issue. Let me know if you find a solution.

Reactions: bckelowna
I've had the exact same issue as you. Got my M3 LR just over 3 weeks ago. Everything was working great. Then when I got into the car on Monday 26th June, no Autopilot visualization (No lanes, cars, objects nothing but the car showing), and also therefore no park assist or cruise control. I've also notice that I'm losing around 5-6% over 15 hours or so.

I've raised a service notification with Tesla regarding the autopilot issue. Let me know if you find a solution.
So I have also talked to tesla and registered a service appointment. After remote diagnosis they said there is nothing wrong with the car software wise, and that I should go to the service center to have the car physically diagnosed, I did a factory reset and the park assist is now back, but still the battery drain is the same, Ill keep you updated, please do so for me also!

Hello guys,

-Multiple soft resets
-Sentry off
-Cabin overheat off
-Dashcam off
-Factory reset

This is happening to me too!

Do you use the tesla app random, a 3rd party app for stats or charts, or the tesla api on say alexa or home assistance?
I'm not the OP, but I just connected to the Tessie app. Should I not connect to it? Do you know if third party apps/API's cause more drain than it should? I've only had it connected for about 24 hours now and haven't noticed a drain, but wondering if you have any info on this!