Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video: Vandalism by Motorcylist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OP was in the HOV lane, there's no need to make extra room for lane-splitting bikes, so something else might have happened earlier, or it could just be Tesla-hate. There's no way to know based upon the video.

Pretty sure that the original video was NOT of the OP in this thread.... OP lists their location as "chicagoland" but i think the video is in california.
Please call your insurance and file it as a hit and run, you won't have to pay a penny on your deductible. You can claim that under Collison or uninsured motorist.

A lot of motorcyclists think they own the road, get used to it.

You can't get a copy of the driver's info, but the insurance can get it...

Everyone making suggestions to this OP about "what to do" needs to understand that the person posting this had absolutely nothing to do with the video other than finding it and posting it here as a "hey everyone look at this" siituation.

This did not happen to OP (OP doesnt even say it does, and posted the name of whoever it was, wherever it was they found it).

@jjrandorin

Spot on. Lots of posts here incorrectly assuming the video involves the OP, @Curt Renz. To clarify: it isn't him in the video. I'm not sure who "Efrain F" is, but they aren't Curt. This was posted to try to highlight another seemingly mindless act of aggression against a Tesla vehicle. I agree that we can't see the build up and "something" might have happened we can't see here, but frankly that doesn't excuse this Neanderthal-like behaviour from the motorcyclist.

• Helpful
Reactions: Curt Renz
I was a victim of a similar crime, don’t care if it is the OP or just random dude. Call your insurance and file a police report so these self centered motorcyclists will stop terrorizing other drivers

Pretty sure that the original video was NOT of the OP in this thread.... OP lists their location as "chicagoland" but i think the video is in california.

Everyone making suggestions to this OP about "what to do" needs to understand that the person posting this had absolutely nothing to do with the video other than finding it and posting it here as a "hey everyone look at this" siituation.

This did not happen to OP (OP doesnt even say it does, and posted the name of whoever it was, wherever it was they found it).

I was a victim of a similar crime, don’t care if it is the OP or just random dude. Call your insurance and file a police report so these self centered motorcyclists will stop terrorizing other drivers

Ok, but who are you giving that advice to? You said "please call your insurance" but you certainly are not speaking to anyone who was in any way involved in either video.

Ok, so just venting in general then (since neither of the pictures came from the people who it happened to and they are not in this thread).

We got it, OP didn't make the video. And he's not really "venting", he's sharing his thoughts and perspective on this topic which is more or less the entire purpose of this thread and TMC in general.

I'm also a motorcycle rider here in California. There is nothing on this video that can draw an absolute conclusion. We don't know if there was a previous incident that provoked the motorcyclist or not. Two wheels are indeed defensive drivers, we have to be. Car drivers often get into there own worlds and get distracted either with listening to music, texting, phone calls, or relying on Autopilot that sometimes auto brakes. Motorcyclist have to be hyper aware, when I ride I notice people swerving, and on their phones, more so then when I'm driving a car. The Tesla drive's brakes may have been going on repeatedly, autopilot may have swerved, all the while the driver was oblivious but the motorcyclist is not only aware but is feels treated by drivers action. Either way the biker should not have smacked that side mirror, but that is just my moral standard.

I know people that wouldn't hesitate to reach into their glove box if that happened to them.

That goes both ways but we keep ours in our jacket.

Can someone explain to me the point of removing the muffle part of the exhaust for a motorcycle?

- I read that the origin was to make the motorcycle more noticeable. This might be truth in a city because of reflection on building walls,
but on highway, which is the most important because of the speed, the exhaust noise is sent toward the back, so not really noticeable from a car in front of a motorcycle.

- Doses this really provide more horse powers? This is possible, but does the level of added vibration and noise is worthwhile. When such motorcycle pass my car, I can hear and fell the vibrations, but this must be noting compared to what the driver must endure...

- Is there any control made by the police? I think this is more a disturbance that a safety added function? But I imagine the police would not have the proper equipment to measure the noise and all depend of the position of the accelerator.

However I can't wait until the Electrical motorcycle become more popular. Those are very silent, and sound like a science fiction ship.
I just wonder if future users would prefer their noisy rider, over the new Electric ones providing an incredible acceleration.

For now, well, like everyone, I would let the drivers enjoying waking up half of a city in middle of the night while going back home from their favorite dive bar.

I ride a Harley now and it's loud in either direction. When lane spitting (it's actually called lane sharing), the car may become aware of me passing on his right because of load pipes. The motorcyclist has already acclimated to the sound, and the sound gets deeper as it leaves the exhaust and expands. The noisy Harleys and Sport bikes are usually modified but unlike cars they are not required to pass smog every other years. There are db laws but cops will not enforce them. To answer your other question, the modifications to make faster often makes it louder.

Either way the biker should not have smacked that side mirror, but that is just my moral standard.

Amen.

That goes both ways but we keep ours in our jacket.
I'll bet on the p@ssed off guy with 3-5000lbs of metal surrounding him.

The Impression I get from many motorcyclists (and cyclists) is they think they own the road and expect everyone to see them when they choose to swerve in and out of traffic, speed in between cars or ride across a busy road or intersection. Not everyone in a car is out to make their life hell. Some old man or woman without the proper reflexes wouldn't be oblivious to some dope running up the side of them inches away from their car.

Reactions: mattack4000
Ok, so just venting in general then (since neither of the pictures came from the people who it happened to and they are not in this thread).

nope just simply point to the fact you can go after the motorcyclist if you have the plates. Insurance will pay for it and they will go after him.

anyway motorcyclist forever, yay

Attachments

• A9095B45-D208-43F6-B06D-ED9FE5CA7237.png
    A9095B45-D208-43F6-B06D-ED9FE5CA7237.png
    852.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
nope just simply point to the fact you can go after the motorcyclist if you have the plates. Insurance will pay for it and they will go after him.

anyway motorcyclist forever, yay

Since you were replying to me, I dont care one way or another about the specific topic at hand. I used to ride a motorcycle a long time ago but havent for at least 15 years or so (through my 20s and 30s I rode, but im in my 50s now). I think its likely that something happened before the video, but that certainly does not excuse the motorcycle driver for causing somewhere between 500 and 1500 of damage to the vehicle because "he was mad".

My whole point was, lots of people in this thread keep saying "OP you should do blah blah blah blah", when there is no one in this thread represented by either video, so those comments dont make any sense. What does make sense is your last comment, which is "Anyone in this situation should.....".

Lots of people were making an assumption that the OP in this thread was somehow involved in either of the incidents, and he was not. He just posted them to "get discussion going" as it were, at least it appears like that to me, and was wildly successful. I personally am not a fan of people specifically dropping videos or short form questions into a forum to "generate discussion". So, just like I am not a fan of people who come to these boards and post "Look, here is another tesla fire!!!! (discuss!)". I am not a fan of someone posting some random video of someone they dont know, with no qualifiers, etc.

Has nothing to do with your specific post or situation, other than I was pointing out that any direction to the OP of this thread was misguided, which is all I was saying.

I mention all this because of the "motorcycle for life" statement that seems like its directed at me, as if I am somehow defending the motorcyclist, which I am not. Im not a fan of vigilante justice, and certainly not a fan of the other threats of extra violence mentioned in the late stages of this thread. I just was trying to point out that the OP in this thread just dropped these videos here just to "get people going" which obviously worked.

Pull out a gun? You gotta be kidding. And then what? Come on. Let's hear some realistic narrative.

So you've never heard of road rage? People have gotten shot over a parking spot. Messing with someone's car is like a match to gasoline. An accident is one thing, inflicting intentional damage is a different ballgame. Not everyone is rational in how they respond to situations like these.