Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View TeslaCam Videos in Browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did try the in-car browser when originally developing the web app - but it didn't have access to file system. That would have been great if it was at least opened to the TeslaCam mount on the USB - then could view these directly in the car.

Just a thought, but if you can leverage files made available via the network data source (vs local storage) you might have a plan of action here. Some folks have built smart storage using Raspberry Pi (see: Build a Smart USB drive for your Tesla dash cam : teslamotors). I would imagine that if these could also broadcast an SSID, and we could associate the Tesla to it (assuming it won't drop the WiFi connection if it doesn't get to a real default gateway) you might be able to use your Web App against this as a source.

I'm having trouble as nothing is loading, using Win 10, Chrome browser, is there some settings in Chrome that I need to enable?

I tested earlier with Windows 10 and Chrome and didn't have any issues (although it was a virtual machine). The app is looking for mp4 files with specific filenames as generated by Tesla. For example: [TIMESTAMP]-left_repeater.mp4, [TIMESTAMP]-front.mp4, and [TIMESTAMP]-right_repeater.mp4. There may be some scenarios when a video file may be corrupt and you won't see anything playing.

I tested earlier with Windows 10 and Chrome and didn't have any issues (although it was a virtual machine). The app is looking for mp4 files with specific filenames as generated by Tesla. For example: [TIMESTAMP]-left_repeater.mp4, [TIMESTAMP]-front.mp4, and [TIMESTAMP]-right_repeater.mp4. There may be some scenarios when a video file may be corrupt and you won't see anything playing.
I'm playing them fine via VLC, also speeding up, and going through lists, but it's still a pain, got triggered so many times, from wind and trees, basically nothing. Yeah it's weird I can't get it to work in Chrome latest version or Edge at all, it loads the files, I see the list of .mp4's but no video, it must be a chrome codec or something?

I'm playing them fine via VLC, also speeding up, and going through lists, but it's still a pain, got triggered so many times, from wind and trees, basically nothing. Yeah it's weird I can't get it to work in Chrome latest version or Edge at all, it loads the files, I see the list of .mp4's but no video, it must be a chrome codec or something?

I'm using Chrome Version 74.0.3729.131 (Official Build) (64-bit) for my Mac and it's working fine. Same experience with Safari Version 12.1 (14607.1.40.1.4).

This is super helpful. Thanks for doing this

Enhancement requests:
  1. Ability to select and play files by clicking time stamp
  2. ability to select entire folder or multiple folders when choosing files
  3. option to play larger videos or in original size of 1280 x 960

I'm using Chrome Version 74.0.3729.131 (Official Build) (64-bit) for my Mac and it's working fine. Same experience with Safari Version 12.1 (14607.1.40.1.4).

This is super helpful. Thanks for doing this

Enhancement requests:
  1. Ability to select and play files by clicking time stamp
  2. ability to select entire folder or multiple folders when choosing files
  3. option to play larger videos or in original size of 1280 x 960
Yeah that is my version but on Windows - I tried loading another .Mp4 file - it didn't load either, I think it's something to do with Chrome but I don't know what it is.

I like the idea to use an ipad to view the video through the browser - sort of a shortcut to view the videos.
Probably use one of those usb to ipad sticks as storage. Viewing all 3 at the same time is very useful.

Would be nice to jog the video with the mouse wheel.

Thank you!! This made going through the vid's so much easier.
The only hiccup I encountered with yesterday's video's is the left camera was not always recording. This kept the time code from being displayed and also wouldn't transition to next set of video's. Not a big deal at all, I just clicked on the next set using your latest enhancement.
Very cool, thank you so much!

Here's some of the updates to the web app since initial release.
  • Enlarge any camera video by clicking on it. Return to side-by-side layout by clicking the enlarged video.
  • Go directly to a point in time by clicking on the timestamp from the list.
  • Resize the videos automatically when resizing the browser window.
  • Improved timestamp format
TeslaCam Video WebApp Player
Excellent! Love the updates. Thanks.

Here's some of the updates to the web app since initial release.
  • Enlarge any camera video by clicking on it. Return to side-by-side layout by clicking the enlarged video.
  • Go directly to a point in time by clicking on the timestamp from the list.
  • Resize the videos automatically when resizing the browser window.
  • Improved timestamp format
TeslaCam Video WebApp Player

Awesome updates to the web app. Thank you sir!