Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View TeslaCam Videos in Browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jdeskins just a heads up, the 2019.16 software update changes the file format for the TeslaCam videos to HEVC/H.265 for dash cam and Sentry Mode videos.. As a result, none of the apps I've been using on Windows can play them, including your web app in Chrome. I'm guessing this is because Chrome does not yet support HEVC video.

I did test your app in Edge on Windows 10 (which does support HEVC if you have the HEVC codec/extension installed), and it worked. Safari on Mac is supposed to support HEVC, too, but I haven't tested there yet. And I think some mobile browsers support HEVC.

If you run into people complaining that they can't play their videos, and they have the 2019.16.x software update, this is probably why. Using Edge or Safari should be a decent workaround. Not sure what you can do about browsers that don't support HEVC yet.

I'm happy to provide a sample video file, in case you want to play around with it. It's too large to attach here, but PM me, and I can send you one.

Thanks for the great app - looking forward to any new features you add!

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7
@jdeskins just a heads up, the 2019.16 software update changes the file format for the TeslaCam videos to HEVC/H.265 for dash cam and Sentry Mode videos.. As a result, none of the apps I've been using on Windows can play them, including your web app in Chrome. I'm guessing this is because Chrome does not yet support HEVC video.

@Josh Bancroft Thanks for this info. I'm not on that version yet - so haven't seen this issue. I will see about getting some sample videos and test further. In meantime, does look like that format is supported on Edge and Safari browsers.

Reactions: Josh Bancroft
Do the videos look less compressed with the new software? Always irked me how bad they looked, but I figured when the new FSD computer gets installed it will have TONS of extra HP to cleanly compress dashcam video.

-Randy
I don’t have any pre-2019.16 video to compare it to, but I was reviewing some of my Sentry Mode footage, and didn’t notice any quality issues or compression artifacts.

It makes sense that they can use the extra compute hardware in HW3 to do better/more efficient compression.

• Helpful
Reactions: Metalmanstan
@jdeskins just a heads up, the 2019.16 software update changes the file format for the TeslaCam videos to HEVC/H.265 for dash cam and Sentry Mode videos....

Running 2019.16.2 on a Model 3, Apple QuickTime's "Movie Inspector" shows H.264 (not H.265) format on TeslaCam files still within the .mp4 container.

Perhaps this format change was present earlier, then pulled, or was on an experimental firmware branch.

Running 2019.16.2 on a Model 3, Apple QuickTime's "Movie Inspector" shows H.264 (not H.265) format on TeslaCam files still within the .mp4 container.

Perhaps this format change was present earlier, then pulled, or was on an experimental firmware branch.
I have since learned that this change isn't about what software version you're on, but rather if you have HW2 or HW3. It seems that cars with HW3 are the ones that are encoding to H.265/HEVC - several people across different online discussions have confirmed this (although I know the plural of anecdotes is not "data").

Maybe this is the first concrete indicator (besides build date) to determine if you have HW3 or not?

Brilliant.. THank you for your work on this.
Couple of things I thought about.
I have a bunch of folders in the saved clips folder, Ideally I would just have it load all the clips in the saved clips video rather than going into each sub folder.
Is there any way to differentiate between sentry videos and driving videos? Tesla could do a lot more very easily to label things to make these videos easier to parse and view. Ideally I would be able to choose between my manually saved videos, the latest videos recorded automatically and then sentry videos. Not sure what if anything your page could do to help with this

Can't get this to work on Chrome, Edge or Firefox on Win10.

VLC is installed on my machine, but perhaps not the right codec?

Teslas with HW3 have HEVC H.265 video encoded for dashcam and sentry videos rather than H.264 (which works with most browsers). H.265 video format primarily only works on Microsoft Edge and Safari browsers. Some on Windows 10 have also needed to download a Microsoft extension to play these videos. That link is: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq

Some have suggested other codecs in prior posts that will also allow it to work on Win10 with other browsers.

• Informative
Reactions: ducktales
Teslas with HW3 have HEVC H.265 video encoded for dashcam and sentry videos rather than H.264 (which works with most browsers). H.265 video format primarily only works on Microsoft Edge and Safari browsers. Some on Windows 10 have also needed to download a Microsoft extension to play these videos. That link is: Get HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer - Microsoft Store

Some have suggested other codecs in prior posts that will also allow it to work on Win10 with other browsers.

Thanks a bunch. This should be added to the OP.