Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN 8th Digit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got my VIN today, and the 8th digit is an E. I'm getting a blue/black/LR/FSD/19". In all of the Tesla VIN decoders I've seen online, they say that the 8th digit should be a 2 or a B for long range (non-performance). What's an E supposed to be? Anyone else have an E for their 8th digit?

https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/54414e8c-d20d-4011-8158-48838c122a87

Digit8 - Motor / Drive Unit

1 = Single Motor – Standard (Designated for Model S)
3 = Single Motor – Performance (Designated for Model S)
2 = Dual Motor (standard) (Designated for Model S & Model X)
4 = Dual Motor (performance) (Designated for Model S & Model X)
A = Single Motor – Standard / Performance (Designated for Model 3)
B = Dual Motor – Standard (Designated for Model 3)
C = Dual Motor – Performance (Designated for Model 3)
D = Single Motor – Standard / Performance (Designated for Model Y)
E = Dual Motor – Standard (Designated for Model Y)
F = Dual Motor – Performance (Designated for Model Y)

https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/displayfile/54414e8c-d20d-4011-8158-48838c122a87

Digit8 - Motor / Drive Unit

1 = Single Motor – Standard (Designated for Model S)
3 = Single Motor – Performance (Designated for Model S)
2 = Dual Motor (standard) (Designated for Model S & Model X)
4 = Dual Motor (performance) (Designated for Model S & Model X)
A = Single Motor – Standard / Performance (Designated for Model 3)
B = Dual Motor – Standard (Designated for Model 3)
C = Dual Motor – Performance (Designated for Model 3)
D = Single Motor – Standard / Performance (Designated for Model Y)
E = Dual Motor – Standard (Designated for Model Y)
F = Dual Motor – Performance (Designated for Model Y)
Thanks!

Mine F too, so does it mean we have same as performance dual motor ?

Possibly? Difference between Performance and non Performance is purely software based. Tesla could still be throttling your car to be non performance, but insurance may think its performance based on VIN and charge you more.

Or if you are lucky it has no throttling.

If you are double lucky, you have no throttling and insurance charges you for non performance.

The display in the car will show a red underline if its Performance. I dont see how you could be non throttled if the line is not there. Aka it would mean that the car reports itself as non performance yet its not throttled. Unlikely. As both of those are likely set by the same software flag.

Possibly? Difference between Performance and non Performance is purely software based. Tesla could still be throttling your car to be non performance, but insurance may think its performance based on VIN and charge you more.

Or if you are lucky it has no throttling.

If you are double lucky, you have no throttling and insurance charges you for non performance.

The display in the car will show a red underline if its Performance. I dont see how you could be non throttled if the line is not there. Aka it would mean that the car reports itself as non performance yet its not throttled. Unlikely. As both of those are likely set by the same software flag.
I better double check with my insurance company make sure not over charge

In case your interested in the entire VIN definition
upload_2020-6-11_21-34-54.png

Resurrecting this thread from the depths to hopefully resolve some confusion for someone like me.

I am under contract for a 2018 M3P with Vroom. 13K miles, squeaky clean. In the Vroom pics, there is no picture of the screen showing the underlined Dual Motor script, just the emblem at the back, and the text description indicating Performance. Today I ran the VIN through several online decoders, and to my horror, they all suggested my car, with an 8th digit of B, was NOT a Performance, but instead a dual motor standard. Ohhh no. Minor heart attack as I scoured for more info.

I couldn't find much to clarify, only more things confirming my fears. So I just searched Vroom and Carvana for other M3Ps with pics of the M3P screen, and started checking VINs. All the 2018s had Bs in the 8th digit. Clearly there must be some inconsistency in the Tesla VIN dept. My blood pressure is now approaching normal 30 m later.

So beware of misleading VIN decoders, they are not reliable for <2020 cars, at least on this digit.