Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN for car that was never going to be made

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered 1/31 MSM, white interior, 19 in wheels.
Received VIN in source code 5 weeks ago.
Received text to confirm if trade in 4 weeks ago.
Spoke with my assigned SA who confirmed VIN and was told car is in pre-production and not built yet.
Emailed 2 weeks later and told the same answer.
Emailed last week and was told still not built, but expected to be delivered by end of June.
I called my delivery center yesterday and was told the VIN I was matched to is not slated to ever be built because it looks like I already have it in their system. Was told they would have to unassign me and wait for another to be assigned to me. I asked tesla to how long the wait would be since we traded our car given the June timeline and was told 4-8 weeks for text, which is for all Model Y's.

It’s worth asking the SA. I asked my SA and Tesla chat for updates and kept being told the same thing. When I spoke on the phone with someone from the delivery center he was able to figure it out since the car was still not built after 4 weeks. My SA did text me back and offer a white exterior, black interior and 20 in wheels, but we declined since we wanted white interior and hopefully the production issues will be better by September.

Hopefully this is not what’s happening to you and is just end of quarter. But worth looking into for anyone who got a vin in the source code and hasn’t seen any progress for a few weeks.

Ordered 1/31 MSM, white interior, 19 in wheels.
Received VIN in source code 5 weeks ago.
Received text to confirm if trade in 4 weeks ago.
Spoke with my assigned SA who confirmed VIN and was told car is in pre-production and not built yet.
Emailed 2 weeks later and told the same answer.
Emailed last week and was told still not built, but expected to be delivered by end of June.
I called my delivery center yesterday and was told the VIN I was matched to is not slated to ever be built because it looks like I already have it in their system. Was told they would have to unassign me and wait for another to be assigned to me. I asked tesla to how long the wait would be since we traded our car given the June timeline and was told 4-8 weeks for text, which is for all Model Y's.
Interesting. My SC guy said that if you have a VIN, the car has either already been built OR is in the actual process of being built. Not sure what is true now.

That’s what we were told also. I think normally it’s how it works. The guy at the delivery center told me he had worked there for 4 years and only saw this happen 2 other times.

Was frustrating for us since we sold our car given the June time frame (Sold to caravanna. Paid 1k more than tesla), but September could be good due to build issues.

That’s what we were told also. I think normally it’s how it works. The guy at the delivery center told me he had worked there for 4 years and only saw this happen 2 other times.

Was frustrating for us since we sold our car given the June time frame (Sold to caravanna. Paid 1k more than tesla), but September could be good due to build issues.

We are in the same boat as you. Sold our car to carvana for more money cuz we were assuming june. Trying to get in touch with someone now.

Good luck! Hopefully you’re not in the same situation as us. I didn’t see anyone. Who had this issue yet, so wanted to share this.

When I asked why this happened my SA said it was probably from COVID and the factory being shut down.

so got in touch with our SA and suddenly our car has a delivery date haha. Our accounts page hasn't been updated yet, but he says it will arrive on 6/29 and we can pick it up 6/30. I little fishy that it took me prodding them, but whatever haha. Thanks for the heads up!

Good luck! Hopefully you’re not in the same situation as us. I didn’t see anyone. Who had this issue yet, so wanted to share this.

When I asked why this happened my SA said it was probably from COVID and the factory being shut down.

So may have been in the same situation. We had a VIN and a delivery scheduled. Suddenly we lost the VIN and the delivery date. SA says that it's gone, and a new one will be assigned, he is guessing it will be another 2 week wait. So far, the account doesn't show a vin still, and nothing. No clue what is going on

We are being told it’s going to be September for us. The local service center here called me yesterday to offer 4 unmatched model Y’s, but all were black interior and we wanted white. I said I’d wait given the build quality issues.

Yea, they offered us an unmatched as well, but it was a super low VIN, and it didn't come with the tow hitch we wanted. was told we can add it on later, but we'd have to pay extra to do that. Also the SC is 2 hours away, so with the work it would be like a 6 hour day. Decided to just hold off and wait to get the car we actuallky want. We have black interior, so maybe that is why he thinks it will be sooner. Though I find it hard to believe it will be September for you. My guess? They are trying to get you in one of the unclaims to help boost sales numbers for Q2, I would be curious what happens when we enter Q3

Good luck!