Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Sticker on Car States Built July 2018 but Built in February 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just purchased 2018 Model X from Tesla March 30th 2021. The vin sticker attached to vehicle states manufactured July 2018. After purchashing it, I discover that the MCU is the OLD MCU1. Before purchasing, I examined the vin sticker that said MFD Tesla 07/18. This means car must have MCU2. What would any of you do? I feel like I was cheated by Tesla. At time of purchase, the software was of the car had not been updated for more than two years, so I had no way to verify if it was MCU1 or MCU2. It was not until I got it back from first service appointment, that the software was updated. That is when I could tell it was MCU1 and not MCU2. I called Tesla and they told me car was manufactured in February and not July, like the vin sticker stated on the car. I told them this was illegal, and they said too bad. I feel I have been treated very badly by Tesla. More info on this car. I actually bought it as a brand new car. I am the first owner, and it only had 46 miles on the odometer and came with a brand new manufacturer warranty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-082009.jpg
    Screenshot_20210516-082009.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 271
Where is this VIN sticker. I will check mine which was manufactured I think in March 2018 (with MCU1). Where was this sitting for 3 years? Was there any discussion with the sales person about the manufacture date on the sticker and MCU2 prior to purchasing? Maybe you can get them to give you a discount on MCU2 upgrade, although I think the price has come down a lot since I had mine upgraded.

Is that picture the sticker on the B pillar? The date is in a weird place… I think it is usually in the upper left corner. I do find it concerning that the car sticker says one date and they are telling you something else.

I’m not sure that the manufacture date or the MCU vintage ends up in the contract at all…? At stake is the $1500 to upgrade to MCU2. I would try to get them to cover the cost. If not, I would probably try arbitration.

As a side it sounds awesome to have a brand new 2018!! I too am curious where it has been. And how is the battery degradation?

Is that picture the sticker on the B pillar? The date is in a weird place… I think it is usually in the upper left corner. I do find it concerning that the car sticker says one date and they are telling you something else.

I’m not sure that the manufacture date or the MCU vintage ends up in the contract at all…? At stake is the $1500 to upgrade to MCU2. I would try to get them to cover the cost. If not, I would probably try arbitration.

As a side it sounds awesome to have a brand new 2018!! I too am curious where it has been. And how is the battery degradation?
The car was sitting at the Fremont factory for like 3 plus years. The vin sticker is on the bottom of the b-pillar. I've own 4 Teslas, and this is a typical vin sticker. The sales person didn't mention MCU. There is like 4 miles of degregation. Basically 0 battery loss. The car has never been driven. Before I drove 100 miles I documented all issues, and service center fixed everything. The falcon wing door seals were shot ($2,400) repair, both headlights were fogged up from being in the sun 3 years. Replaced (each headlight $1,200 each) a medium size dent in driver's door repaired. Replaced rotten windshield wiper blades. So, I was quite happy with the repairs they did, to make the car back to new condition. On the invoice, this is termed "receritification". You have to take care of this within the first 100 miles. I even paid destination charges on this car of $1,200 but I also go $1,500 back for Clean Vehicle point of sale rebate. This car has upgraded white leather seats, and carbon sonic wheels. My total cost was under $63k. I feel I got a good deal, but I was certain I was getting MCU 2. THe vin information is there to protect the consumer. And, this information was / is completely false. That is illegal. It is like buying a computer that says it has an I-7 chip, only to find out it has an i-5 chip. So deceptive and wrong.

The car was sitting at the Fremont factory for like 3 plus years. The vin sticker is on the bottom of the b-pillar. I've own 4 Teslas, and this is a typical vin sticker. The sales person didn't mention MCU. There is like 4 miles of degregation. Basically 0 battery loss. The car has never been driven. Before I drove 100 miles I documented all issues, and service center fixed everything. The falcon wing door seals were shot ($2,400) repair, both headlights were fogged up from being in the sun 3 years. Replaced (each headlight $1,200 each) a medium size dent in driver's door repaired. Replaced rotten windshield wiper blades. So, I was quite happy with the repairs they did, to make the car back to new condition. On the invoice, this is termed "receritification". You have to take care of this within the first 100 miles. I even paid destination charges on this car of $1,200 but I also go $1,500 back for Clean Vehicle point of sale rebate. This car has upgraded white leather seats, and carbon sonic wheels. My total cost was under $63k. I feel I got a good deal, but I was certain I was getting MCU 2. THe vin information is there to protect the consumer. And, this information was / is completely false. That is illegal. It is like buying a computer that says it has an I-7 chip, only to find out it has an i-5 chip. So deceptive and wrong.
THis car is not even on the recall list for the 8gb emmc, but it has an 8gbemmc. This is an issue with NHTSA. It should be on recall, but it is not. THat is against the law, as well. THe only thing I'm asking Tesla to do is just upgrade my MCU so that it matches the VIN sticker. They won't. Such B.S. I've also got solar from Tesla. 4 Tesla and solar. You can imagine how much money I've forked over, and they treat me like a dog over a $1,500 part that they screwed me out of.

THis car is not even on the recall list for the 8gb emmc, but it has an 8gbemmc. This is an issue with NHTSA. It should be on recall, but it is not. THat is against the law, as well. THe only thing I'm asking Tesla to do is just upgrade my MCU so that it matches the VIN sticker. They won't. Such B.S. I've also got solar from Tesla. 4 Tesla and solar. You can imagine how much money I've forked over, and they treat me like a dog over a $1,500 part that they screwed me out of.
Also, look how bizarre my warranty is on my reservation page. Has anyone ever seen any thing like this before?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210516-081906.png
    Screenshot_20210516-081906.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 128
Does Tesla specifically call out what MCU is installed with the car? If not, I don't think you have a leg to stand on.
I will write back, once I have busted Tesla's chomps. It is down right illegal to falisfy vin information. Once I legally get this resolved, I'll post how it all turns out. I will be standing on four legs like a guard dog, not just one leg. <woof!>

My total cost was under $63k. I feel I got a good deal,
That is a very good deal. And it will also be a good deal if your total cost is $64.5k, even if you have to pay for the MCU2 upgrade. I’m up to about $115k out of pocket for my model X built 5 months before yours, which includes having paid $2.5k for the MCU2 upgrade.
4 Tesla and solar. You can imagine how much money I've forked over
I’m only at 2 Tesla’s, solar and 2 Powerwalls. I do understand how being a frequent flier with them gives you no elevated status. With that many Tesla purchases I’m sure this isn’t your first run-in with them. I personally have a rather long list of things. My mental health advise is to not let the issue suck you down the drain. Sure, pursue getting them to pay for it and that sticker is wrong, but always keep sight on the mental toll vs $1500. I do wish you well in this.

That is a very good deal. And it will also be a good deal if your total cost is $64.5k, even if you have to pay for the MCU2 upgrade. I’m up to about $115k out of pocket for my model X built 5 months before yours, which includes having paid $2.5k for the MCU2 upgrade.

I’m only at 2 Tesla’s, solar and 2 Powerwalls. I do understand how being a frequent flier with them gives you no elevated status. With that many Tesla purchases I’m sure this isn’t your first run-in with them. I personally have a rather long list of things. My mental health advise is to not let the issue suck you down the drain. Sure, pursue getting them to pay for it and that sticker is wrong, but always keep sight on the mental toll vs $1500. I do wish you well in this.
Very good point. I feel like I have already spent too much mental time on this. Yes, I've had plenty of issues, but I still love,love, love the cars. These cars have brought me so much joy. :) I had to send back my first Model y because it was all dented up, upon arrival. Then I took it to service center where they realigned my hatch and buffed out a paint nib. Well, they missed the paint nib and burned a hole right in the paint and said I did it. Then, I get it home and wash it. Cup fulls of water leaked into the back hatch. They forgot to install the seal. I was very patient with all of this, and they eventually fixed everything. I got my Y and I love it. If you just wait and ask for what is reaonable, Tesla usually takes care of you. I also ordered a brand new Model S. It came with dents in it. I refused it, and they kept my deposit and never gave it back. That was a 100 bucks, but sucks that they keep it. :(

Very good point. I feel like I have already spent too much mental time on this. Yes, I've had plenty of issues, but I still love,love, love the cars. These cars have brought me so much joy. :) I had to send back my first Model y because it was all dented up, upon arrival. Then I took it to service center where they realigned my hatch and buffed out a paint nib. Well, they missed the paint nib and burned a hole right in the paint and said I did it. Then, I get it home and wash it. Cup fulls of water leaked into the back hatch. They forgot to install the seal. I was very patient with all of this, and they eventually fixed everything. I got my Y and I love it. If you just wait and ask for what is reaonable, Tesla usually takes care of you. I also ordered a brand new Model S. It came with dents in it. I refused it, and they kept my deposit and never gave it back. That was a 100 bucks, but sucks that they keep it. :(
Oh. BTW. What kind of car did you get for 115k? Was it a performance, six seater, with upgraded everting?

I wonder if there was significant driver's side damage and they repaired the car and had to print a new "Vehicle Certification Label" and somebody just typed the wrong number in when printing a new one. If so, the correct action would be to replace that label with a corrected one.

Very good news...... I reached out to DMV and explained my situaiton. DMV contacted Tesla on my behalf and asked Tesla to accomodate my request. Tesla then authorized my car to be updated from MCU 1 to MCU 2, at no charge to me, the customer. :) After a bit of struggle and contacting the right agency for help and a lot of patience, Tesla did right by the customer. I will continue to buy Teslas. I can't help but love the product. However, it is always struggle to get what the customer should rightfully get. Don't give up. Be persistent. Don't let a company run you over. Once again, I am a very happy Tesla customer. :)

Reactions: MIT_S60