Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VINs from GIGA Texas Tracking. Who will be first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree, the majority of dealers play games to see how much money they can extract from their customers. At least Tesla treats everyone the same. I can't even get a price from a normal dealership over the phone let alone buy a car that's in high demand without paying a significant market adjustment. Try finding a mass produced Kia Telluride or Toyota RAV4 Prime.
This isn’t a dealer value discussion. This is a very specific issue a handful of Tesla orders have. Read the whole discussion. I am in no way interested in a dealer value conversation because that wasn’t at all what the comment is based on.

Edit: to be very specific there are a couple folks who go into Tesla no man’s land. Their very normal orders just keep getting deferred. Meanwhile people in the same area and even same SC who ordered months after them get the exact builds. Their EDDs either say TBD or are months out and just endlessly push. Think 6 months for an MYP with no holds. And they still don’t have a date or VIN.

They can’t get anyone to help them. SAs at the service center just say it’s coming. The phone numbers and chats say everything is normal. There is no one to hold accountable. That doesn’t happen in the dealer model. That’s why I said “this is the one case where a dealer provides value”. You can actually hold them responsible and they aren’t going to let your car get lost or give it to someone else and ignore you because they lose your money.

Last edited:
This isn’t a dealer value discussion. This is a very specific issue a handful of Tesla orders have. Read the whole discussion. I am in no way interested in a dealer value conversation because that wasn’t at all what the comment is based on.

Edit: to be very specific there are a couple folks who go into Tesla no man’s land. Their very normal orders just keep getting deferred. Meanwhile people in the same area and even same SC who ordered months after them get the exact builds. Their EDDs either say TBD or are months out and just endlessly push. Think 6 months for an MYP with no holds. And they still don’t have a date or VIN.

They can’t get anyone to help them. SAs at the service center just say it’s coming. The phone numbers and chats say everything is normal. There is no one to hold accountable. That doesn’t happen in the dealer model. That’s why I said “this is the one case where a dealer provides value”. You can actually hold them responsible and they aren’t going to let your car get lost or give it to someone else and ignore you because they lose your money.
I see what you’re saying… just find it hard to ever feel the dealer model is doing anything but squeezing the customers for every penny they can.

Balderdash. Today they'll sell your car in 5 minutes to the next buyer, for more money. What do you mean by "hold them accountable" exactly ?

Reactions: advocate8
Balderdash. Today they'll sell your car in 5 minutes to the next buyer, for more money. What do you mean by "hold them accountable" exactly ?
Money. I can take my money elsewhere and get the same car. And the dealer loses. They exist purely to get money from people buying and servicing cars. If I don’t do business with them they make less. So if you “sell my car to the next buyer” I walk. And go to another dealer. That dealer that screwed me got less money. They may not care, but do it enough and they will.

That doesn’t exist with Tesla. There is no one at Tesla that loses. Give my exact build to someone who ordered 3 months after me and … what? The SC doesn’t care. Going to another SC doesn’t help. Chat doesn’t care. If I walk Tesla loses my sale, but I also lose the car I want. I can only do business with the company who screwed me over, or not get the car.

that’s the only point. Dealers suck, but in this case they buffer the buyer from the manufacturer and give you options for crap service.

Money. I can take my money elsewhere and get the same car. And the dealer loses. They exist purely to get money from people buying and servicing cars. If I don’t do business with them they make less. So if you “sell my car to the next buyer” I walk. And go to another dealer. That dealer that screwed me got less money. They may not care, but do it enough and they will.

That doesn’t exist with Tesla. There is no one at Tesla that loses. Give my exact build to someone who ordered 3 months after me and … what? The SC doesn’t care. Going to another SC doesn’t help. Chat doesn’t care. If I walk Tesla loses my sale, but I also lose the car I want. I can only do business with the company who screwed me over, or not get the car.

that’s the only point. Dealers suck, but in this case they buffer the buyer from the manufacturer and give you options for crap service.
They'll care when supply > demand, same as all the other dead dino dealerships right now. Sounds like you've never bought an in demand vehicle, because I promise you , speaking from experience, the traditional dealerships truly give zero fscks about you walking away.

Reactions: advocate8
They'll care when supply > demand, same as all the other dead dino dealerships right now. Sounds like you've never bought an in demand vehicle, because I promise you , speaking from experience, the traditional dealerships truly give zero fscks about you walking away.
Ok. Then I walk away. Knowing they will never get my money and I can still drive that brand car.

But to answer your random assumption about me, yes I’ve bought plenty of “in demand” vehicles. Hell I bought a Tundra TRD PRO in March in the exclusive lunar rock color. Those puppies were crazy in demand since it was last year of the V8. Was on order for 3 months for build and all dealers had zero trucks on lot. I know for a fact they got offers to buy that order for over list. Sold it after 6 months to VROOM for over $7000 over what I paid. It’s still up on VROOM for $70,000. 😂😂 when someone buys it they’ll be mad when they look at the sticker in the glovebox that says MSRP was $56k.

Wow. Do you suppose--work with me here--two things can be true at the same time?

The dealer model can really suck, and at the same time there is competition among dealers for your business, unlike Tesla's take-it-or-leave-it approach?

I would say yes, they can both be true. But first I have to speak with my manager . . .

Wow. Do you suppose--work with me here--two things can be true at the same time?

The dealer model can really suck, and at the same time there is competition among dealers for your business, unlike Tesla's take-it-or-leave-it approach?

I would say yes, they can both be true. But first I have to speak with my manager . . .
No. You don’t understand how Internet forums work!!!😝

I don't for a minute buy the "competition between dealerships", focused on the sales side, in any way benefits a customer. It's another middle man in the food chain that you the customer ultimately pays, for their sole "value add" of transfering custody of the vehicle between you and the manufacturer.

The service side is a bit different but that's not what you're arguing.

I disagree, the majority of dealers play games to see how much money they can extract from their customers. At least Tesla treats everyone the same. I can't even get a price from a normal dealership over the phone let alone buy a car that's in high demand without paying a significant market adjustment. Try finding a mass produced Kia Telluride or Toyota RAV4 Prime.
There are plenty for RAV4 Prime at MSRP price in DFW area. It looks like the car lost some mojo.

Ok. Then I walk away. Knowing they will never get my money and I can still drive that brand car.

But to answer your random assumption about me, yes I’ve bought plenty of “in demand” vehicles. Hell I bought a Tundra TRD PRO in March in the exclusive lunar rock color. Those puppies were crazy in demand since it was last year of the V8. Was on order for 3 months for build and all dealers had zero trucks on lot. I know for a fact they got offers to buy that order for over list. Sold it after 6 months to VROOM for over $7000 over what I paid. It’s still up on VROOM for $70,000. 😂😂 when someone buys it they’ll be mad when they look at the sticker in the glovebox that says MSRP was $56k.
It took me almost 2 months and emails to 20+ dealers from all over CA and some out of state to finally secure a Tacoma TRD OR 4WD with no markup. Was even able to get under msrp. Just had to drive from SoCal to norcal. I think area has a lot to do with it since every single one in SoCal had a $5k markup at the time. Crazy to pay a markup when it’s not even a TRD Pro.

I’d only have faith in dealers if manufacturers punish price gouging dealers like how Ford allegedly does. But the no middle man Tesla buying is a lot more stress free. You know the numbers and what to expect and there’s no negotiating/feeling like you left some money on the table by agreeing. It sucks I placed my order after some of the price increases but nothing much I can do. I still am up 3-4k. They can do better with CS sure but imo it’s easier overall.

Here is a good article on online vehicle sales versus dealers, and the prognosis going forward for the dealership model. Since the pandemic began, 30% of new car sales were made online, way up from only 2% before the pandemic. The dealership model is politically entrenched (crony capitalism, anyone?) and is not going down without a fight. But analysts think the dealership model will be under a lot of pressure as more buyers grow comfortable with online purchases.

More consumers are shopping online for cars. Can dealerships keep up?

Reactions: ImHere4theGang
Well, as I am sure most of you have heard, it looks like the first legit Austin VIN has been located. Surprised it’s a MYP, but just glad the flood of VINs are imminent, with ramp up.

Well, as I am sure most of you have heard, it looks like the first legit Austin VIN has been located. Surprised it’s a MYP, but just glad the flood of VINs are imminent, with ramp up.

Maybe it is. He has a VIN yet... the EDD shown is a full month, which is odd. Usually is is really tight when you get a VIN. Also it’s white and a P model, both things that have not been seen at Austin site. There’s no confirmation from inside sources at Tesla, s Sawyer got on the “no” with the fraudulent post yesterday. The only reason people are believing this one is the guy has it on his personal Facebook page with his name attached.
Probably legit, but not 100 percent certain.

Reactions: preilly44 and voxel