Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comfort Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see from other threads that all MYLR built in Austin starting 8/29 and Fremont 10/7 are built with the new Comfort Suspension. I received my VIN today for my MYLR, and when I tried to confirm with Tesla via text if it has the new Comfort Suspension I was given a vague "it should be as updated as possible." Does anyone know how to confirm through a VIN when the vehicle was built, and when production on a vehicle began? I am concerned with two scenarios - my VIN was built prior to the Comfort Suspension crossover and is being delivered now because of delivery logistics issues (which Elon discussed in the most recent earnings call) or it was previously delivered to a customer and rejected, which means it may have been built a few months back as well. I am absolutely psyched to be getting my car but suspension was my one hesitation - so much so that I looked into getting aftermarket improved shocks installed (which I do not think will be at all necessary now). Thanks

After market shocks, that would be quite expensive I guess.
$2,500 for the shocks, not including install. After I spoke with the company that sells them about two months ago and advised I wanted to wait on the purchase until I received my Tesla they went into very aggressive sales mode, they called/emailed a good three times - my suspicion, although it's just a guess, is that they knew Tesla was improving their stock suspension in the near future and were trying to unload their inventory prior to it becoming obsolete.

$2,500 for the shocks, not including install. After I spoke with the company that sells them about two months ago and advised I wanted to wait on the purchase until I received my Tesla they went into very aggressive sales mode, they called/emailed a good three times - my suspicion, although it's just a guess, is that they knew Tesla was improving their stock suspension in the near future and were trying to unload their inventory prior to it becoming obsolete.

I hope prices will dive once the aftermarket options are obsolete. I'm noticing the harsh ride on my '22 LR a lot more now that the snow has dumped on me in western new york. It's pretty jarring, I think I'd pay $1500 to fix it but def not 2500+

Reactions: DiyEvRepair
I hope prices will dive once the aftermarket options are obsolete. I'm noticing the harsh ride on my '22 LR a lot more now that the snow has dumped on me in western new york. It's pretty jarring, I think I'd pay $1500 to fix it but def not 2500+
Cheapest options for improving the ride of any Model Y:
1. Lower the air pressure to ~39psi
2. Upsize the tires to slightly increase the sidewall depth
The first option is virtually effortless; the second comes at a slight cost however depending on current tire wear and the need for new rubber anyway, this, too, is quite easy/cost-effective (especially when comparable to other more invasive solutions). Good luck.

Cheapest options for improving the ride of any Model Y:
1. Lower the air pressure to ~39psi
2. Upsize the tires to slightly increase the sidewall depth
The first option is virtually effortless; the second comes at a slight cost however depending on current tire wear and the need for new rubber anyway, this, too, is quite easy/cost-effective (especially when comparable to other more invasive solutions). Good luck.
I'm sure those would improve the ride slightly. But, I'd feel better about tire wear at the recommended pressure. Downsizing the wheel with a taller sidewall is something I'd wonder if that is a size that's selectable in Tesla's settings so it can correctly calculate range and efficiency.

I'm sure those would improve the ride slightly. But, I'd feel better about tire wear at the recommended pressure. Downsizing the wheel with a taller sidewall is something I'd wonder if that is a size that's selectable in Tesla's settings so it can correctly calculate range and efficiency.
The ride is improved much more than slightly and for the year that I‘ve been employing both techniques listed above, my efficiency (and ride) are both on-par with my wife’s MYLR (on 19” Geminis). WIN! Good luck.

What about getting smaller wheels? I'm sure the 18's have a softer ride.
…seemingly everything these days is subjective however for my money, the 21” Ubers wrapped in appropriately sized rubber (read: non-OEM spec) result in the best blend of ride, performance, aesthetics and price that can be reasonably obtained in a Model Y without resorting to major surgery. YMMV

Hello from Holland. I drive a Q4 2021 MiC Model Y LR with 20” Inductions and Michelin Crossclimate 2 SUV 255/45 R20. The higher sidewall I have is for a little more comfort but it’s frustrating to read that Tesla now equipped the MY LR with comfort suspension whereas there is no aftermarket solution for those tens of thousands MY’s with the old and definitely not so comfortable suspension. Anyone has contact with Elon so we can ask him….? He can’t ignore this request from so many people I guess. All Tesla forums are full of complaints about this suspension. Lowering tire pressure and going for higher sidewall is of course a but ridiculous let’s be honest. I still have to drive 4 years in my MY as it’s a company lease car. Any ideas, suggestions are welcome 🙏. Have a great day 😊

do you mind sharing who told you so because my coming up delivery is from Austin and that's like 50% reason why i was upgrading from 2022 model y, for better suspension, if its true I'm definitely not going to pick it up unfortunately. Thank you