Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vinyl wrap body colored roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that I got such a great deal on a CPO, I compromised on the lack of having a pano roof. Has anyone with a solid white or pearl white vinyl wrapped their roof to give it the same appearance? I've seen it done on other vehicles and thought it looked pretty good assuming it's the glossy black wrap being used.

I'd go glossy black as well. It will match/flow from the black glass at the top of the windscreen. Plus if you tint the rear hatch glass it will look nice with that as well. Tesla used to offer a black painted roof from the factory, but that option was discontinued.

I had my Dad do this to his 2014 Diamond White Volt and it has improved the appearance greatly and he agrees. Costed around $200. Has had it for 4 months and it isn't peeling at all.

Gloss Black is the best wrap to get for a roof aesthetically.

Just gives that look of a long piece of glass perfectly connected and sloped from the windshield to the rear window which also makes the A, B & C pillars slopes stand out as well.

However, Porsche 911's, Mercedes SLS AMG GT, new C-Class's, and other cars have surprisingly sloppy black roof connectivity.

EX:
porsche-matte-white-china-1.jpg

compared to

QQ_640.jpg

I'd go glossy black as well. It will match/flow from the black glass at the top of the windscreen. Plus if you tint the rear hatch glass it will look nice with that as well. Tesla used to offer a black painted roof from the factory, but that option was discontinued.
And that is exactly why I got the black roof on my silver S back when that was an option.

So you're saying the vinyl wrap may actually cause the vehicle to be hotter? Want to make sure I'm interpreting you correctly.

Black will absorb more solar radiation than white (or lighter colors) which tend to reflect more heat away. When I was a kid living in South Florida back in the early 60's, almost every car on the road was white for this reason. I can remember seeing mall parking lots full of white cars, and people used to put goofy ornaments on their aerials just so they could find their car in a sea of white. I don't think white cars for this reason are quite so prevalent today with better and more ubiquitous auto air conditioning, but at the end of the day, energy is energy.

Black will absorb more solar radiation than white (or lighter colors) which tend to reflect more heat away. When I was a kid living in South Florida back in the early 60's, almost every car on the road was white for this reason. I can remember seeing mall parking lots full of white cars, and people used to put goofy ornaments on their aerials just so they could find their car in a sea of white. I don't think white cars for this reason are quite so prevalent today with better and more ubiquitous auto air conditioning, but at the end of the day, energy is energy.

I'm with you and agreed.