Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virgin Galactic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They seem closer to making the dream become reality than any other company trying for space tourism right? So if we all agree we want to see space travel advance (besides SpaceX), investing in this company would help that mission....

I bought my shares of TSLA right before the Model S went into production. I'm going to buy some shares of Galactic because they are on the verge of history.

Kinda like how large of a market for a model s in 2012...... ;)

Most airlines companies make profit by selling first class and business class tickets costing at least 10 time more than regular tickets.

In the case of a stratospheric flight, the argument is to be able to see the curvature of the earth.
But the number of window seats is limited, so how many passengers will be able to fly?

Currently the estimated ticket I believe is around $500k, how low would it have to be to become affordable.

Most airlines companies make profit by selling first class and business class tickets costing at least 10 time more than regular tickets.

In the case of a stratospheric flight, the argument is to be able to see the curvature of the earth.
But the number of window seats is limited, so how many passengers will be able to fly?

Currently the estimated ticket I believe is around $500k, how low would it have to be to become affordable.
Right, this is about investing in companies pushing the boundaries for humanity. I'm not trying to get rich ASAP off this. This would be a long term investment like TSLA. If it can work and the company holds, then one day it will be worth something.

I'd rather invest in SpaceX, but we cannot....

They seem closer to making the dream become reality than any other company trying for space tourism right? So if we all agree we want to see space travel advance (besides SpaceX), investing in this company would help that mission....
I bought my shares of TSLA right before the Model S went into production. I'm going to buy some shares of Galactic because they are on the verge of history.

IMO VG is on the verge of a footnote in the history of space flight with non astronaut passengers. Dear Moon mission in 2022 or 23 will be historic. As will the first commercial LEO space hotel. Most likely a joint venture of SpaceX and Bigelow Aerospace.

Bigelow Aerospace - BEAM

IMO VG is on the verge of a footnote in the history of space flight with non astronaut passengers. Dear Moon mission in 2022 or 23 will be historic. As will the first commercial LEO space hotel. Most likely a joint venture of SpaceX and Bigelow Aerospace.

Bigelow Aerospace - BEAM
cool. Yeah, I'm not saying VG is THE thing, just that it will be one of the many companies in the space industries. It will be for those that do not want to live/go into space, but want to see what it's like. I'm sure there will be different levels of space tourism as we proceed into the future.

Some may have noticed that the stock price for SPCE (VG) crashed shortly after takeoff from its 10/28/19 debut. It closed that day at $11.75. It soon started a decline into the low $7.00 range where it languished. Then on Monday 12/9/19, none other than Adam Jonas from Morgan Stanley came to the rescue, putting an "Overweight" buy signal on the stock. Now two weeks later its been steadily rising, touching $11.00 this morning. Jonas wrote, "With hypersonics now a key national security issue alongside the eventual commercial adoption of the technology, we believe the hypersonic industry is poised for growth."
A nice little run for SPCE. Morgan Stanley must love the kind of Midas Touch that Jonas can create, but VG still seems a long way from removing clouds of uncertainty. Looking back to July 2008, Sir Richard had declared that the first passenger flights would have taken place exactly 10 years ago from this December 2019.

Hypersonics?? Am I way behind on what VG is working to fly, or is Jonas an even bigger idiot covering space than EV?

The latter. I honestly don't know why the market listens to him.

Or rather I do, it's the Morgan Stanley name. One of the best insights of one of the best movies (The Insider) was when the Al Pacino character, a journalist, quits 60 Minutes in disgust after they torpedoed a very important public interest story at the behest of various corporate interests. But he is now wondering how much impact he can have as a journalist writing for an obscure PBS station (which is where he ended up). Good journalist without the name brand behind you doesn't buy you much.

Similarly, bad analyst, but writing for Morgan Stanley means something. Even if it only means that the stock price will move regardless of the quality and correctness of what you write.

And the said analyst and his employer can make loads of money in both directions, without getting caught.

Yeah, you wonder how much analysis is the analyst coming up with a true view of the company's prospects, and how much it is the company's traders asking for a piece that would take the stock in a certain direction. Reading Jonas's pieces, it seems like the latter. It's like he's realized it doesn't matter what he barfs up, he'll get paid the same regardless as long as it supports what the traders want to see.

Reactions: Grendal
Yeah, you wonder how much analysis is the analyst coming up with a true view of the company's prospects, and how much it is the company's traders asking for a piece that would take the stock in a certain direction. Reading Jonas's pieces, it seems like the latter. It's like he's realized it doesn't matter what he barfs up, he'll get paid the same regardless as long as it supports what the traders want to see.

Yes. Jonas just said that Tesla is heading for $250 on Friday or Monday. Happily, the stock didn't even flicker and actually went up another $5 on the 24th. His predictions are for MS and have little to do with reality.

I follow SPCE with a mixture of fascination and amusement. Today it's hit a new high of $14.66, more than double the stock price of less than 2 months ago. It's not clear how much closer VG is to their first space tourism flight than November 2019 or even the 10 years previous. The only news today they is they've named a COO, Enrico Palermo, one of the first employees hired in 2006. He'll be overseeing 500 employees. That's likely just less than 10% the size of the SpaceX workforce, a company that's probably been a little more productive in reaching Space. :p
Enrico Palermo appointed Virgin Galactic’s Chief Operating Officer

SPCE continues to gain altitude, closing today at $19.72. Somehow Sir Richard has found a way to successfully launch SPCE, while he simultaneously manages to sit on an idle fleet of hangar queens. Or maybe it's Jonas conjuring up some magic mojo that he's using to massage naive investors.
From a Dow Jones article earlier today, ""Lately, we are having more conversations on SPCE than any other US stock in our coverage with the possible exception of Tesla," Morgan Stanley says. Investors are tracking the company as it is slated to have its first commercial flight by year end, according to the analysts. They also particularly appreciate the opportunity in high-speed point-to-point air travel, the firm says."
Maybe they could investigate which "year end" that first commercial flight might happen. Also, not sure what Morgan Stanley is smokin' if they're encouraging investors to believe that VG is anywhere close to "high-speed point-to-point air travel".

SPCE continues to gain altitude, closing today at $19.72. Somehow Sir Richard has found a way to successfully launch SPCE, while he simultaneously manages to sit on an idle fleet of hangar queens. Or maybe it's Jonas conjuring up some magic mojo that he's using to massage naive investors.
From a Dow Jones article earlier today, ""Lately, we are having more conversations on SPCE than any other US stock in our coverage with the possible exception of Tesla," Morgan Stanley says. Investors are tracking the company as it is slated to have its first commercial flight by year end, according to the analysts. They also particularly appreciate the opportunity in high-speed point-to-point air travel, the firm says."
Maybe they could investigate which "year end" that first commercial flight might happen. Also, not sure what Morgan Stanley is smokin' if they're encouraging investors to believe that VG is anywhere close to "high-speed point-to-point air travel".

it’s Morgan Stanley. I swear their analysts are just mouth pieces to manipulate their coverage stocks for their in house traders.

:confused: That guy is partaking of some powerful mind altering substances to come to that conclusion.
I have to agree. What is the market for a spaceplane that can take 6 passengers from New Mexico to London in two hours, but then has to wait two days for the White Knight carrier plane to get to London so it can launch to return? Not very large, methinks.