Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virgin Galactic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
Since things seems to be heating up on the Virgin Galactic front, I though I’d start a thread devoted to them here. They’ve just completed their second “almost space” test in the last few months. VG’s system is night and day different from SpaceX - they have a small 6 passenger solid fuel motor spaceship launched at 60,000 feet from a custom mothership, which then glides back down for a runway landing. Space tourism to the edge of space.

Latest info: Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo takes a step closer to space - SpaceNews.com

Reactions: Grendal
I think comparing space tourism outfits like VG and BO, with SpaceX is kind of meaningless.

It is like comparing those helicopter rides in tourist places like Niagara Falls and Grand Canyon, to flying trans continental with American Airlines or British Airway. Ya both carry people up in the air, but... geez...

• Love
Reactions: Brando
Virgin Galactic also has the Launcher One. That will take stuff to orbit. The suborbital thrill rides easily have enough merit to have a thread too. They certainly aren't competition to SpaceX but the suborbital rocketplane flights do generate excitement about space even if they don't quite reach there. I wish VG the best even though I think that BO's New Shepard will end up being the preferred thrill ride.

Best comparison I would suggest is Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic.
I'd like to see a balloon option for rides to the edge of space.
And Solar Stratos could give longer/cheaper rides The plane – SolarStratos

But we all can see that if/when SpaceX BFR starts taking people halfway around the world AND you are riding 15-20 min. in space, it will be game over for these "space ride" companies/ventures.

PS- another launch option for "small packages" to compete with Virgin Galactic.
Rocket Lab | About Us | Rocket Lab

Maybe it's me but the whole SpaceShipTwo architecture seems overly complicated and a bit death-trappy. BO's New Shepard seems like a more reasonable approach, not that I'll be doing either!

VG’s architecture was designed by people who didn’t know rockets well and were airplane people foremost. Their rocket is a fairly simple and small solid rocket motor. At the time it was designed, it seemed like an economical approach to reusability. Of course SpaceX has since shown that the rocket only approach works rather well.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando and Grendal
SpaceShipTwo is a technological dead end. It can't be scaled up to orbital velocities. It's a stepping stone to nowhere.

This is where Blue Origins has a huge advantage... and also I agree I'd far rather go up on their rocket than Virgin. Not that I will ever do either.
I like this solar/battery powered glider - 75,000' [22,860m] you must wear a spacesuit and you could ride for hours.
SolarStratos – To the edge of space
only prototype for now, but what an experience, right?

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
I thought the air is too thin at such high altitudes for a propeller to work effectively?
good enough? 22 km - I think the wings lifting the plane more important, right?
"Outer space does not begin at a definite altitude above the Earth's surface. However, the Kármán line, at an altitude of 100 km (62 mi) above sea level, is conventionally used as the start of outer space in space treaties and for aerospace records keeping."

I like this solar/battery powered glider - 75,000' [22,860m] you must wear a spacesuit and you could ride for hours.
SolarStratos – To the edge of space
only prototype for now, but what an experience, right?
I do not understand how that vehicle could achieve that altitude. How can the propellor and wings work effectively at such high altitudes?

I think most people understand how airfoils work (and a propellor is an airfoil). But you need air flowing over them for them to perform their function. See How wings really work

Obviously I don’t know as much as the engineers who are designing that glider. I am missing something...

I do not understand how that vehicle could achieve that altitude. How can the propellor and wings work effectively at such high altitudes?

I think most people understand how airfoils work (and a propellor is an airfoil). But you need air flowing over them for them to perform their function. See How wings really work

Obviously I don’t know as much as the engineers who are designing that glider. I am missing something...
read/explore their website

Article doesn't state that but I think it was obviously unmanned? or was there someone piloting it for 26 days?
general disclaimer:
I only think I know what I think I read.

I try to remember what Mark Twain said:
If you don't read newspapers you are ill informed.
If you do read newspapers you are miss informed.

Which is to say, I think you're right, obviously.
So you still have a chance to break the record. :cool:

Apparently gliding to extreme heights is all the thing these days. Another glider project, these folks are designing and aiming for 90/100k altitude. Last I knew, they held the record for glider height over 50k altitude.
Home | Perlan Project

I work with somebody that is helping out with this project. What I've learned from him is that the key to getting a glider to REALLY high altitudes is a really big mountain, with a sharp climb from sea level to those heights. And a strong standing wind blowing into and over that mountain. (And then a lot of luck and the right weather, and .. more - it sounds hard :)). Edit to add - this means the Andes in South America.

Critical difference in these two projects - Perlan is a glider, not powered in any way. Solar Stratos is an electrical plane (I didn't spot that at first - thought it was a glider).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brando