Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I experienced this problem last Friday and Saturday, where VT (0.50.09) would stop getting data about 30 minutes after each restart. Also worth noting is that VT is not reporting any errors. The main symptom I see is that the graphs screen is not getting data points. The overview page did seem to refresh, but I may have fooled myself.

A quick check of the VT log showed the following unusual combination of warnings (these occur multiple times separated by anywhere from 1 to 20 minutes):
Aug 21, 2015 4:27:03 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.Streamer refreshAuthentication
WARNING: Error: couldn't retreive auth tokens
Aug 21, 2015 4:27:03 PM org.noroomattheinn.tesla.Streamer establishStreamingConnection
WARNING: Can't authenticate for streaming!
(I can provide more details on request)

As of Sunday, everything is working normally again for me.

To minimize the load on Tesla servers, I leave VT in sleep mode except when I want to actively track charging or driving data. Sleep mode is sufficient to track vampire losses.

That said, I was not logging much data on Friday and Saturday, when I experienced VT's difficulty retrieving data, so I don't think it is the pattern of access which is provoking the problem. More likely, Tesla is tweaking something in their authentication infrastructure and VT may more trouble handling the reauthentication errors than the phone apps.

In the Android phone app this morning it wouldn't connect. Instead it just would put up a message that I had no cars in my account. When I clicked OK it would cycle through the login and throw up the same error again. Exiting the app and restarting would just do the same. I finally gave up. That was at about 10:00am PDT.

In the Android phone app this morning it wouldn't connect. Instead it just would put up a message that I had no cars in my account. When I clicked OK it would cycle through the login and throw up the same error again. Exiting the app and restarting would just do the same. I finally gave up. That was at about 10:00am PDT.

And the connection with this thread on VisibleTesla is? This sounds like a configuration error with your account on the Tesla servers -- call Tesla service.

The connection should be obvious. During the stated time my phone app couldn't connect successfully to the servers. This may have affected VisibleTesla users. I was providing a useful data point. Also, no I don't plan to contact Tesla service because that evening it was working again. Seems Tesla finally got my referral onto my app!

Not really sure why you would even ask this because others do it here all the time.

Hi guys
Waiting on my 70
hopefully getting it next week
Had a question about firmware update 7.0
I did not get the Autopilot feature, but will I still
be able to get the update? Also heard that the interface will change in 7.0
anybody tested or seen the new 7.0.. how does it look

I sent the graph from VT of the current spikes to Tesla Software Engineering and their response was that it was not the car that was sending anything to cause the spikes.

"After investigating, we found that there are no such spikes occurring and this is a problem with the app you are using. "

Well, something changed when Tesla released 2.5.36 because it didn't do it before that. I'm still on the old servers by the way.

If someone wants to look at my data files, I'd be happy to send them.

Hi guys
Had a question about firmware update 7.0
I did not get the Autopilot feature, but will I still
be able to get the update? Also heard that the interface will change in 7.0
anybody tested or seen the new 7.0.. how does it look
Moiz, you will be able to download all of the updates after you get your MS 70. We will all have the same software but since you did not order the Autopilot option, the that part of the software will not work for you. You can order the Autopilot option after you get your car if you want to and the software is there to support the new AP option.

Anybody have some good instructions for running VisibleTesla on Ubuntu Linux.
I have a low power dedicated machine which I can leave running all the time.
First, Oracle really doesn't want you to use Java 7... they make it very hard to find and install.
I've installed openjre 7 but still can't run VisibleTesla... just get a message that can't find or load main class VisibleTesla.jar (permissions set to execute) when I am in the VisibleTesla 0.50.08 folder.

Anybody have some good instructions for running VisibleTesla on Ubuntu Linux.
I have a low power dedicated machine which I can leave running all the time.
First, Oracle really doesn't want you to use Java 7... they make it very hard to find and install.
I've installed openjre 7 but still can't run VisibleTesla... just get a message that can't find or load main class VisibleTesla.jar (permissions set to execute) when I am in the VisibleTesla 0.50.08 folder.

I've been running vt from ubuntu for quite a while. Currently, my server is on 14.04 lts.

Java: I use openjdk version 7 (1.7) and not the oracle version

Launching;
from cli; java -jar "<path>/VisibleTesla 0.50.07/VisibleTesla.jar" &

can put same command minus & in the startup applications to auto launch on start

I would get a similar error that you described when double clicking the icon versus running via cli command.

Hope that helps.

... just get a message that can't find or load main class VisibleTesla.jar (permissions set to execute) when I am in the VisibleTesla 0.50.08 folder.

This error is normally emitted by the java interpreter runtime when it is expecting the name of a Java class (.class file) as the argument. As pointed out by @robatbeach you need to prefix the name of the jar file with the -jar option.

I've been running vt from ubuntu for quite a while. Currently, my server is on 14.04 lts.

Java: I use openjdk version 7 (1.7) and not the oracle version

Launching;
from cli; java -jar "<path>/VisibleTesla 0.50.07/VisibleTesla.jar" &

can put same command minus & in the startup applications to auto launch on start

I would get a similar error that you described when double clicking the icon versus running via cli command.

Hope that helps.
Thanks very much. I think I'm making progress.
However, now get Exception "AWT-EventQue-0" java.awt.HeadlessException
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:207)

I'm running Xubuntu 14.04 LTS with java -version 1.7.0_79
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.6) 7u79-2.5.6-0ubuntu1.14.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-bit Server VM (build 24.79.-b02, mixed mode)

I was wondering if the problem could the the 64 bit version of Java?

Thanks very much. I think I'm making progress.
However, now get Exception "AWT-EventQue-0" java.awt.HeadlessException
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:207)

I'm running Xubuntu 14.04 LTS with java -version 1.7.0_79
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.6) 7u79-2.5.6-0ubuntu1.14.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-bit Server VM (build 24.79.-b02, mixed mode)

I was wondering if the problem could the the 64 bit version of Java?
I reinstalled OpenJRE from the software library and it must have also installed a proper launcher this time sine I at least get to JavaFx launcher which informs me that In need a newer version of Java (ugh!). I think this message if from VisibleTesla itself which somehow doesn't recognize OpenJRE as valid.
I'm trying to run VisibleTesla 0.50.08

Has anyone else had problems with the Trips tab not showing data at all? I've got a brand new 90D so I'm sure there are some differences, but everything else seems to work fine (climate control, charging, etc) but trips doesn't show any data at all. (This is using the latest release: 0.50.8)