Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
do I have to put my modem back in my computer?:scared:

I have an extra acoustic coupler if you need it ;-)

acoustic-coupler.jpg

I still remember the thrill of having one of those. Remember going from 300 to 1200 Baud? 9600? It was amazing! I love being in a field that has evolved so radically during my lifetime.

I wanted an acoustic modem until I saw 300/1200 baud modems. I just couldn't afford any of them, they were too expensive.

--- Updated observation ----
I love driving a car that has evolved so radically during my lifetime.

Last edited:
Need your feedback - inactivity mode

I'm working to make VisibleTesla more respectful of the load it puts on Tesla's servers and I need your input.

Right now users can select "Allow Sleep" in the File menu. When selected, this will allow the app to go to sleep after 15 minutes of user inactivity. It will not collect data from the car and will allow the car to go to sleep. Any interaction with the app (e.g. selecting a new Tab) will cause an interaction with the car and will wake it from sleep.

I'm considering a related option which isn't really sleeping, it's more like daydreaming. In this mode after 15 minutes of inactivity, the app will go into a low interaction mode. The graph tab will still collect data at it's normal rate, the scheduler will still run as usual, but auto-refresh will turn off. Any interaction with the app (e.g. selecting a new Tab or hitting the refresh button) will snap the app out of daydreaming and resume auto-refresh as usual. This mode won't allow your car to go to sleep, but it will reduce the load on Tesla's servers. Why auto-refresh when no one is looking at the app?

BTW, if you leave the app on the graphs tab or the scheduler tab, you basically get this behavior right now since nothing is refreshed other than the graph statistics.

Unlike "Allow Sleep" I'm inclined to make this the default behavior which the user can switch off. So, what do you think? Any reason not to do this? What's a better name than "daydreaming" mode? :smile:

Unlike "Allow Sleep" I'm inclined to make this the default behavior which the user can switch off. So, what do you think? Any reason not to do this? What's a better name than "daydreaming" mode? :smile:

I think this is not only the sensible default, but the name is perfect as it answers the question: "Do androids dream of electric sleep?"

Ah JP, you're a middle-aged guy like me! If you remember going from 300 baud to 1200 baud you're no kid. I was a big Apple guy back in those days and bought a 300 baud modem (Hayes compatible!!!!) for $300 (a dollar a baud). I spent all night every night downloading Apple games at 300 baud. There were many AE's (that's what we called them) that would only accept 1200 baud and the day I bought my 1200 baud modem and had access to all those sites still ranks as one of the highlights of my life.

Well, getting married and having kids was up there too, but that definitely was number one!

;)

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, my apologies for not thanking you for this app! It is simply amazing and I prefer it over the iPhone version.

For my two cents I wished you could access the driver profiles and change them from the app. That way I wouldn't have to sit sideways in the seat to change my wife's profile back to mine. I'm too lazy to create an Exit profile.

;)

For my two cents I wished you could access the driver profiles and change them from the app. That way I wouldn't have to sit sideways in the seat to change my wife's profile back to mine. I'm too lazy to create an Exit profile.

;)

Hi TommyBoy. I'm glad you're enjoying the app. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to access driver profiles through the REST API. If it did exist, they'd have to ensure that it couldn't be invoked while the car is in motion.

OK ... I've got several days with 0.20 and I'm loving the scheduler.

I seem to have found one issue: HVAC tab. I tried raising the temp and now get this view on the the tab. Refreshing hasn't worked ... restarting the app does .. but when accessing the settings ... the blank results return.

vt.png

Hi I seem to be currently blocked. What is the best email address to contact portal team ? Is it ownership ?

Thanks in advance.

I went to portal and got this : You have been blocked for making too many requests!

Hi Klaus,

I use VT pretty continuously and have not had that problem. I did get turned off temporarily earlier in the development process when a bug caused a large number of requests to the Tesla servers before I shut it off. I was contacted by Tesla about it via email the same day.

Since then I haven't had any difficulty. Are you back online yet? If not I would contact Tesla to ask about it.

BTW, these days I leave VT in the Graphs Tab when I'm away. That causes the lowest request rate tot he Tesla servers.

Hi I seem to be currently blocked. What is the best email address to contact portal team ? Is it ownership ?

Thanks in advance.

I went to portal and got this : You have been blocked for making too many requests!

Sadly, we don't know. This app (just like all the other tools around) uses the undocumented API that was only intended for phone app use.
So there is no guarantee of access, no SLA, no support address for the API.
For some people waiting 24h and not making any requests appears to have worked. Others had to change IP addresses (which may or may not be possible for you to do).

This is a wonderful app. Thank you for your work. Quick question... If there is more than one vehicle associated with the Tesla account, how do I access the other car? Is that even possible currently using VT?

Hello Madartist. It's not currently possible. I have some placeholders in the code to allow this, but since I had no way to test, I've never completed it. If you'd be willing to be a beta-tester, I'll put in basic support and we can try it out. For the first version of this I'd probably make you select the vehicle when the app starts and you'd have to restart to choose the other one. How does the iPhone/Android app handle it?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks in advance.

As dirkhh mentioned, there is no defined process. He outlined a few options that have worked for people (including me). The next version of VisibleTesla will have more broadly encompassing controls on the overall rate of requests sent to Tesla. It will limit bursts, requests/minute, and requests/hour. It will also provide different defaults for sleep/inactivity handling. I'll have a chance to release it this weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

OK ... I've got several days with 0.20 and I'm loving the scheduler.

I seem to have found one issue: HVAC tab. I tried raising the temp and now get this view on the the tab. Refreshing hasn't worked ... restarting the app does .. but when accessing the settings ... the blank results return.

Hmm, haven't seen that one before. Can you give me some more background about what led up to this? For example, did you turn on the HVAC manually before adjusting the temp or did you do it via the scheduler? Did it ever show temps properly? Also, if you could send me the output from the details dialog that would be great. You can do all of this via PM and you can remove your full VIN. Thanks.

Hmm, haven't seen that one before. Can you give me some more background about what led up to this? For example, did you turn on the HVAC manually before adjusting the temp or did you do it via the scheduler? Did it ever show temps properly? Also, if you could send me the output from the details dialog that would be great. You can do all of this via PM and you can remove your full VIN. Thanks.

Car is plugged in .. a/c off. Attempted to change temp and turn on (guess opposite would have been more logical) ... Not a major issue for me. More curious if duplicated.

I know Im in a weak cellular area at the moment .... so ....

Hello Madartist. It's not currently possible. I have some placeholders in the code to allow this, but since I had no way to test, I've never completed it. If you'd be willing to be a beta-tester, I'll put in basic support and we can try it out. For the first version of this I'd probably make you select the vehicle when the app starts and you'd have to restart to choose the other one. How does the iPhone/Android app handle it?
Sure. I'm more than happy to beta test this function for you. In the iPhone app, access to the other vehicle is done through the "Account" button on the upper right of the home screen. From there, all the cars will be displayed. It is then a simple matter to choosing the car you want and it will proceed to login to that car. I have not seen the Tesla app on the Android system, but I would think that the procedure should be the same.

Last edited:

Sure. I'm more than happy to beta test this function for you. In the iPhone app, access to the other vehicle is done through the "Account" button on the upper right of the home screen. From there, all the cars will be displayed. It is then a simple matter to choosing the car you want and it will proceed to login to that car. I have not seen the Tesla app on the Android system, but I would think that the procedure should be the same.