Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure this has been covered but I read through a bunch of the pages and can't come across it.

The Trips tab collects most trip data but not all of it. For instance, yesterday morning I drove to work, about 11 miles, and stayed all morning. In the afternoon I drove 150 miles to Houston. This morning I drove somewhere in Houston and then this afternoon drove back to Austin, around 170 miles total. At this moment the car is in my garage getting charged up. When I look at the trips tab all I see is yesterday's trip to the office but nothing after that. I have seen this before with other trips. VT (0.25.03) was open on my home computer the whole time. For most other days on the Trips tab I can see all the driving I did. Is there something more I need to do to collect this data?

I just upgraded a few minutes ago from 0.25.03 to 0.25.05. Running on Mac OS X 10.7.5.

Thank you.
David

Would there also be a possibility to turn de ac on or off? Unfortunatly it always turns on when remotely heating the car.

Hello fmda,

Yes, there is a command to turn the system on (HVAC On) and another command to turn it off (HVAC Off). The only change in the upcoming version is that you can also set the temperature when you issue the HVAC On command.

Joe

- - - Updated - - -

I am sure this has been covered but I read through a bunch of the pages and can't come across it.

The Trips tab collects most trip data but not all of it. For instance, yesterday morning I drove to work, about 11 miles, and stayed all morning. In the afternoon I drove 150 miles to Houston. This morning I drove somewhere in Houston and then this afternoon drove back to Austin, around 170 miles total. At this moment the car is in my garage getting charged up. When I look at the trips tab all I see is yesterday's trip to the office but nothing after that. I have seen this before with other trips. VT (0.25.03) was open on my home computer the whole time. For most other days on the Trips tab I can see all the driving I did. Is there something more I need to do to collect this data?

I just upgraded a few minutes ago from 0.25.03 to 0.25.05. Running on Mac OS X 10.7.5.

Thank you.
David

Hello David,

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Was VisibleTesla in "Allow Sleep" mode?

Did you happen to save your visibletesla.log file? If so, that may help me determine what was happening. If not, I may be able to get some insights from your locations data file. With 0.25.05 installed, you can do a "File->Export Location Data..." and select the day in question. Chose a file name like locations.xls. That will show you all of the location data that was collected and when.

Joe

- - - Updated - - -

Joe,

First time poster in this thread but right off the bat, awesome job on the app. I wanted to bring something to your attention in case it hasn't yet.

I'm running 0.25.05 on Java build 1.7.0_51-b13 in Windows 7 64 bit.
On the Location tab, it has not been refreshing the location after clicking "Refresh". I have it set to allow daydreaming and have had the app open/running most of the day. Of note, when I click the "Browse" button, it correctly displays the location of our Model S. If you need screen shots, just let me know. FYI, we're off on the location by a large order of magnitude...a few miles.

Hope this helps and thanks again for your hard work (and others too if it's not just you)

Hello DJ,

Would you mind sending me you visibletesla.log file the next time this happens? It's in the same folder as the VisibleTesla.jar file. You can send it to joe AT NoRoomAtTheInn dot org.

Thanks,
Joe

Thank you.
David

Just close VisibleTesla and restart.

Just a heads-up. Version 0.25.06 is going to be experimental so it will not appear if you do a "Help->Check for Updates".

I'm adding a feature where you can set the temperature from the Scheduler tab. It turns out that this has more of a ripple effect than I expected so I want to get some brave souls to do some testing before I unleash it on the rest of the users.

Joe

Joe, this is great. Will try it asap.

Thanks!

Rob.

Just close VisibleTesla and restart.

Thanks, I did try that.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment ausdma_location_data_02-17-14.xlsView attachment ausdma location data 02-18-14.xls

Hello David,

It sounds like you're doing everything right. Was VisibleTesla in "Allow Sleep" mode?

Did you happen to save your visibletesla.log file? If so, that may help me determine what was happening. If not, I may be able to get some insights from your locations data file. With 0.25.05 installed, you can do a "File->Export Location Data..." and select the day in question. Chose a file name like locations.xls. That will show you all of the location data that was collected and when.

Joe

Joe, I couldn't find a way to attach a file to a private message. It appears there is not location data after the first trip on the 17th and when I returned home the afternoon of the 18th.

VT is in "Allow Daydreaming" mode.

Thanks for you help.

David

Experimental: VisibleTesla 0.25.06

VisibleTesla 0.25.06 is an EXPERIMENTAL version and is available here. It will not be offered by the "Check for Updates" menu item.

If you want to try this version out, please read the release notes carefully; particularly if you use the Scheduler Tab.

VisibleTesla 0.25.06 [02-22-2014] - EXPERIMENTAL

• User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • Refinement: More updates to the documentation to reflect these changes, additions, and fixes. Several typos were also corrected.
    • Login
      • Refinement: A dialog box will be displayed if you try to log into a vehicle that has not yet had mobile access enabled. The dialog instructs the user to enable mobile access in the car using Controls / Settings / Vehicle.
    • Overview
      • Addition: Added an emblem to indicate the model of the car. Choices are: 60, 85, P85, and P85+.
    • HVAC
    • Graphs
    • Trips
    • Scheduler
      • Addition:You may now set the charge level as part of an Charge: Start command. When you choose Charge: Start, you'll notice that a button labeled "+" appears next to the command name. This indicates that there are additional options. If you press the button, a dialog will pop up allowing you to select the target charge level. When the Charge: Start command runs at its scheduled time, VisibleTesla will first set the charge target to the desired level.
        The charge level dialog lets you use a slider to select the target charge, or you can use the Standard orMin controls to jump to a setpoint. Alternatively, you can select the checkbox named "Use the car's set point". If you do that, the slider will be greyed out and the charge level will not be set to a new value. In this case, it will just use the car's current charge setting.
        Note that this option replaces the separate Charge: Min, Charge: Min, and Charge: Max commands.
        • IMPORTANT: If you have used these commands in the past you must manually replace them with settings on the Charge: Start command.
      • Addition:You may now set the temperature as part of an HVAC Oncommand. When you choose HVAC On, you'll notice that a button labeled "+" appears next to the command name. This indicates that there are additional options. If you press the button, a dialog will pop up allowing you to select the target temperature. When the HVAC On command runs at its scheduled time, VisibleTesla will first set the temperature to the desired level.
        The temperature options dialog lets you use a slider to select a temperature, or you can type a value into a text box. Alternatively, you can select a checkbox named "Use the car's set point". If you do that, the slider and text box will be greyed out and the temperature will not be set to a new value. In this case, it will just use the car's current temperature setting as it did in previous releases.
      • Addition:There is now a "Once" checkbox for each scheduled item. If you select that checkbox, the scheduled item will automatically diable itself after it has been executed one time. For example, if you want to pre-heat your car tomorrow morning, but just tomorrow morning, you can create a scheduled item to do that. Select the "Once" checkbox and your car will pre-heat tomorrow morning, but that schedule will be automatically disabled so you don't have to remember to go and disable it yourself.
        • IMPORTANT: If you have used previous versions of VisibleTesla you must manually ensure the proper settings of the "Once" checkbox. Make sure you turn it off for any existing scheduled items.
      • Changed: The "Safe" checkbox has been removed. It was only used for one command - HVAC On. Instead of taking up space in the UI for an option that isn't used for the majority of commands, safe mode will always apply to HVAC On. Remember that you can use the Prefs Tab to set safe mode to mean:If you don't want safe mode, use "neither". Otherwise choose the combo that makes you most comfortable.
        • At least 25% charge on the battery
        • Car is plugged in
        • Both
        • Neither
    • Notify
    • Prefs
  • Under-the-covers
    • Refactored code related to Dialog boxes into a new package.
  • Known problems
    • Same as previous release.

Reporting Bugs

Hi All,

Just a reminder that when you have a problem with VisibleTesla, it's really important to save the visibletesla.log file that lives in the application folder - the same place as VisibleTesla.jar which is what you double-click to start the application running.

VisibleTesla writes information to that log file that can aid in troubleshooting. Without that file, I have no way of what was happening when your problem occurred. Even with it, it is a challenge to tell what was going on. Without it, there isn't much chance.

This file is overwritten every time you run VisibleTesla. When you have a problem, quit VisibleTesla and then copy that file someplace safe (like your desktop). If you report a problem, I may ask you for the file to help me troubleshoot. The file does contain your VIN, so you may want to delete that before sending me the file.

Thanks,
Joe

- - - Reply to efusco - - -

VT hasn't picked up any of my trips for the past 6 days (0.25.06), worked fine prior to that. It has been open/running in the background all week.

Hi Evan,

Please see the message above about log files. Also, exporting your location data may help with the diagnosis. Instructions are here: Exporting Your Data

Choosing "Last 7 Days" in the date range dialog will be the best choice in this case. Look at the resulting excel file to see if any data was collected.

Let me know what you find.

Joe

This file is overwritten every time you run VisibleTesla. When you have a problem, quit VisibleTesla and then copy that file someplace safe (like your desktop).

Since I happened to have the logfile overwritten twice before, here's my suggestion: on VT launch, could you check if a logfile already exists and rename it to a backup rather than overwriting it? One backup might be enough ...

-- update --

I wrote that suggestion apparently at the same time as the one above, slowly on my iPhone ;-)

Last edited:
Joe, I have another (small?) feature request: would it be possible to set a target cabin temperature in the scheduler? There are occasions when it would be useful to set a specific temp before turning on the HVAC.

Cheers, Rob.

This is in the latest release, 0.25.06, which is experimental. You can try it out now, but please read the release notes (above) to see what has changed.

Joe

Thanks Joe-

Just downloaded it and re-tweaked my scheduler events in accord with the new functionality.

A few notes:

1) Most of my events defaulted to "Once", which I had to manually de-select. (Perhaps as result of re-using the old "Safe" checkbox? These are the same events I had in "Safe" mode previously)

2) When setting the set point for either an HVAC or Charge event, the selection dialog allows me to use both the slider or Up-arrow to change the set point, but not the Down-arrow. The actual button click registers in the GUI, but it doesn't actually decrement the number. This feels like perhaps a Java bug. For reference I'm on Win7 x64 with Java v.7u45 (1.70.0_45-b18)

3) Not a bug per se, and perhaps only related to my methodology, but removing the separate charge set-point events had an unanticipated consequence: I can't JUST set a charge set-point If I prefer to let the car's on-board scheduler initiate charging. I currently do this so that way if my computer dies (lose power, Java crashes, Windows decides to install patches & reboot, etc...) I won't wake up with an uncharged car.

I had used the previous versions of VT to allow me to set my weekday (70%) and weekend (90%) set-points as scheduled events at 1:45am, and then let the car start it's charging at 2am. I'm going to experiment now with having VT set and start charging at 1:45am, and leave the car scheduled to start at 2am as a backup...

Thanks as always, Joe...

Hi Joe,

I've installed 25.06 and converted my schedule to test the HVAC temp settings over the next days. This being a beta version I guess you'll add centigrade later...

I have another potential issue, which could entirely be one of my understanding. I have Inactivity mode set to "Allow Sleeping". I have set a schedule to put VT into "Awake" mode everyday at 7am. Similarly I put it into "Sleep" mode everyday at 11pm. But I notice that I'm losing trip data. For instance, yesterday at around 10:30am I drove to a DIY store - a trip of maybe 20 mins. The outward trip was not captured at all. The return trip missed the first few minutes. Also, during the day a number of other short trips were (partially) missed - meaning that 10-20 mins of the trip was missed.

I understood from the documentation that if I put VT into "Awake" mode with the scheduler then it would constantly monitor the car (and not allow it to sleep). So how come I'm missing such large chunks of trip data - as if VT is in "Sleep" mode (i.e. only checking every 30 mins)? Could it be that the Inactivity Mode overrides the Schedule commands?

Just to nit pick for a minute, the documentation has this table:

• TimeAction
    07:00Put the car into Awake mode to ensure it's ready to capture your drive to work
    09:00Put the car into Daydreaming mode since you won't be looking at it while at work. (You wouldn't waste your time that way would you?)
    19:30Put the car into Sleep mode since you're done driving for the day.

I assume that by "Action" you do not mean "Put the car...", but rather "Put VT..." If my understanding is correct the Awake/Sleep schedule commands only affect VT?

Hi scaesare,

Thanks for trying this out. Responses are below.

Thanks Joe-

Just downloaded it and re-tweaked my scheduler events in accord with the new functionality.

A few notes:

1) Most of my events defaulted to "Once", which I had to manually de-select. (Perhaps as result of re-using the old "Safe" checkbox? These are the same events I had in "Safe" mode previously)

Exactly. For others who may be trying this out, here is the relevant part of the release notes:
IMPORTANT: If you have used previous versions of VisibleTesla you must manually ensure the proper settings of the "Once" checkbox. Make sure you turn it off for any existing scheduled items.

2) When setting the set point for either an HVAC or Charge event, the selection dialog allows me to use both the slider or Up-arrow to change the set point, but not the Down-arrow. The actual button click registers in the GUI, but it doesn't actually decrement the number. This feels like perhaps a Java bug. For reference I'm on Win7 x64 with Java v.7u45 (1.70.0_45-b18)

I'll look into this. Thanks for the report.

3) Not a bug per se, and perhaps only related to my methodology, but removing the separate charge set-point events had an unanticipated consequence: I can't JUST set a charge set-point If I prefer to let the car's on-board scheduler initiate charging. I currently do this so that way if my computer dies (lose power, Java crashes, Windows decides to install patches & reboot, etc...) I won't wake up with an uncharged car.

I had used the previous versions of VT to allow me to set my weekday (70%) and weekend (90%) set-points as scheduled events at 1:45am, and then let the car start it's charging at 2am. I'm going to experiment now with having VT set and start charging at 1:45am, and leave the car scheduled to start at 2am as a backup...

I could add back a "Charge: Set" command that pops up the same dialog. When executed it would set the charge level but not actually start the charge. I'll look into that.

- - - Reply to RCH1708 - - -

Hi Joe,

I've installed 25.06 and converted my schedule to test the HVAC temp settings over the next days. This being a beta version I guess you'll add centigrade later...

No, that's a bug. The code is there. I'll check into it.

I have another potential issue, which could entirely be one of my understanding. I have Inactivity mode set to "Allow Sleeping". I have set a schedule to put VT into "Awake" mode everyday at 7am. Similarly I put it into "Sleep" mode everyday at 11pm. But I notice that I'm losing trip data. For instance, yesterday at around 10:30am I drove to a DIY store - a trip of maybe 20 mins. The outward trip was not captured at all. The return trip missed the first few minutes. Also, during the day a number of other short trips were (partially) missed - meaning that 10-20 mins of the trip was missed.

I understood from the documentation that if I put VT into "Awake" mode with the scheduler then it would constantly monitor the car (and not allow it to sleep). So how come I'm missing such large chunks of trip data - as if VT is in "Sleep" mode (i.e. only checking every 30 mins)? Could it be that the Inactivity Mode overrides the Schedule commands?

It sounds like you're using the app correctly. I log a lot of information about sleep mod in the log file. If you can send me a sample log file that covers the period when this happened (or a new log file if this happens again), I can try to determine what is happening. BTW, have you checked the "Recent Activity" drop down in the scheduler tab to make sure the commands are being executed?

Just to nit pick for a minute, the documentation has this table:

• TimeAction
    07:00Put the car into Awake mode to ensure it's ready to capture your drive to work
    09:00Put the car into Daydreaming mode since you won't be looking at it while at work. (You wouldn't waste your time that way would you?)
    19:30Put the car into Sleep mode since you're done driving for the day.

I assume that by "Action" you do not mean "Put the car...", but rather "Put VT..." If my understanding is correct the Awake/Sleep schedule commands only affect VT?

Yes, that's a mistake on my part. Thanks for pointing that out. I just made the fix in my version.

Wow, I can get this to not only fail, not only crash VisibleTesla, but crash the whole Java VM. I'm going to have to back off of using this particular control in this sort of pop-up dialog. For the time being, you'll only be able to set the value with the slider. The number field will just be there for feedback.