Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi scaesare,

Thanks for trying this out. Responses are below.

Exactly. For others who may be trying this out, here is the relevant part of the release notes:
IMPORTANT: If you have used previous versions of VisibleTesla you must manually ensure the proper settings of the "Once" checkbox. Make sure you turn it off for any existing scheduled items.

Ah, my bad.. when I read that in the notes, I didn't put 2 and 2 together and realize that it meant that it WOULD be set for those items....

Thanks for the cool build.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, I can get this to not only fail, not only crash VisibleTesla, but crash the whole Java VM. I'm going to have to back off of using this particular control in this sort of pop-up dialog. For the time being, you'll only be able to set the value with the slider. The number field will just be there for feedback.

Isn't that the beauty of Java... "Write once, debug everywhere"? ;)

Last edited:
This is in the latest release, 0.25.06, which is experimental. You can try it out now, but please read the release notes (above) to see what has changed.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I suppose that the centrigrade thing is important: the schedule was for my car to be set to 20.5 degrees this evening, but when I got to it, it was set to "Hi". Toasty, to say the least - opened the roof to let some cool air in!

Cheers,

Rob.

I was dozing when I suddenly remembered my car was out being charged.:eek: No problem, I just needed to check my VT to see if it was done yet.:smile:
As I was waking up my "daydreaming" VT, I saw that it had gone to sleep about an hour before (~same time I did) and my charge at that time had about an hour remaining.:rolleyes:

When I startled VT to wake it, the remaining time to charge went to 00:00 and the alert on my phone told me my charge was complete. :biggrin:
I began to think "What if" I had fallen fast asleep, and didn't wake up until the next morning to unplug and retrieve my car from the distant lonely charger and put it in it's designated warm and comfortable parking spot.(home) When would my daydreaming VT have woke itself up to check the charging status. Most likely my MS would have been asleep and VT would not have awoken it.

What if VT could wake itself up just before my charge was estimated being complete.:confused: Then my phone alert would wake me up when it was done charging and I could go unplug my car and return home.:cool: ( I don't have a charger at home) No more wasted time plugged in and not charging. (and I could let someone else charge)

feature request?

Last edited:
Experimental: VisibleTesla 0.25.07

VisibleTesla 0.25.07 is available here. This EXPERIMENTAL version is an update to the 0.25.06 release and contains fixes to a couple of severe bugs. In addition to those fixes I've added a Charge: Set command in response to the use case presented by @scaesare. I've also changed the log file handling so that several old log files will be kept around for potential debugging purposes. Because this release is experimental, it will not be offered by the "Check for Updates" menu item.

VisibleTesla 0.25.07 [02-25-2014] - EXPERIMENTAL
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • Refinement: VisibleTesla used to overwrite its log file every time it runs. This made it easy to lose old logs if your not careful. The app now keeps around several old versions of the log file. Users need never pay attention to the log file unless they are reporting a bug.
      • Refinement: Updates to the documentation; including the FAQ which describes the new log file scheme
    • Login
    • Overview
    • HVAC
    • Graphs
    • Trips
    • Scheduler
      • Addition: Added a Charge: Set command that allows the user to change the charge target on a set schedule without actually initiating a charge. This is useful for cases when the user wants to use the car's built-in charge scheduler, but still wants to change the charge target.
      • Fix: The temperature target was ignoring the units setting and always using fahrenheit.
      • Fix: Using the Up/Down arrows to adjust the value of the temperature target could cause bad behavior (including a crash). This was caused by something outside of the control of VisibleTesla, so for the moment this functionality has been removed. The temperature target can only be set by adjusting the slider. The numeric field is for readout purposes only.
    • Notify
    • Prefs
  • Under-the-covers
    • Overhauled the SchedulerUI fxml file to make it easier to maintain and update. No visible changes to the user.
  • Known problems

I'm not having any luck with VisibleTesla on my work computer that requires a http proxy. It works from home.

I tried entering the proxy & port on the pref tab, but still no luck. It just sits at the login for a long time and then says login failed. I tried a proxy host with both http:// in front and without.

Also noticed you have a nullpointerexception when changing tabs before having logged in:

Exception in thread "JavaFX Application Thread" java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.AppContext.prepForVehicle(AppContext.java:165)
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.BaseController.activate(BaseController.java:131)
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.MainController$1.changed(MainController.java:164)
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.MainController$1.changed(MainController.java:160)
at com.sun.javafx.binding.ExpressionHelper$Generic.fireValueChangedEvent(ExpressionHelper.java:367)
at com.sun.javafx.binding.ExpressionHelper.fireValueChangedEvent(ExpressionHelper.java:100)

- - - Reply to zwede - - -

I'm not having any luck with VisibleTesla on my work computer that requires a http proxy. It works from home.

I tried entering the proxy & port on the pref tab, but still no luck. It just sits at the login for a long time and then says login failed. I tried a proxy host with both http:// in front and without.

Also noticed you have a nullpointerexception when changing tabs before having logged in:

Exception in thread "JavaFX Application Thread" java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.AppContext.prepForVehicle(AppContext.java:165)
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.BaseController.activate(BaseController.java:131)
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.MainController$1.changed(MainController.java:164)
at org.noroomattheinn.visibletesla.MainController$1.changed(MainController.java:160)
at com.sun.javafx.binding.ExpressionHelper$Generic.fireValueChangedEvent(ExpressionHelper.java:367)
at com.sun.javafx.binding.ExpressionHelper.fireValueChangedEvent(ExpressionHelper.java:100)

Hello zwede,

I'm using a Java REST client library that seems to be incompatible with the method I'm using to establish proxies. I'm trying to contact the author of that library to see if there is something else I can do, but so far I haven't had any luck. I'm looking at another approach, but if I can't make that work, I'll disable this until I find a workable solution.

On the NPE, you shouldn't be able to switch tabs until you are successfully logged in. This is a side-effect of the proxy failure. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Joe

- - - Reply to scaesare - - -

Awesome... thanks Joe. Just downloaded and converted over to the new "Charge Set" scheduler verbs... I'll put it thru it's paces.

Much appreciated!

Excellent, let me know if you have any problems (actually, let me know either way :)

Joe

Last edited:
Will do.

And incidentally, using the previous version (.06) of VT to set the SOC target & charge at 2am, and then have the car set to charge at 2:15am (as a backup) worked just fine as well...

This will simply make it a bit "cleaner".

Will report back...

The work suggested by @musterion to support IFTTT is underway. For each type of notification (e.g. "Speed Hits" or "Charge Becomes"), you'll be able to specify an email address and/or a custom subject line. These can be used to cause IFTTT to trigger a specific activity.
The trouble with that is security: one intercepted email and someone could resend an edited version.

Interest in Geofencing notification?

Is there any value to a geofencing notification that would trigger if your car leaves or approaches a specified location?

I've assumed not since most people probably have this functionality in their phones.

Is there any value to a geofencing notification that would trigger if your car leaves or approaches a specified location?

I've assumed not since most people probably have this functionality in their phones.
IFTTT has great geofencing notifications now, so if you have a smartphone, you wouldn't need it. Unless you wanted to note if your car went somewhere without you and your phone in it.

My experience with geofence in the iPhone is that it can be very slow to recognise that it is in or out of the fenced area. This is to save battery life: real time position checking flattens the battery in a few hours.

The MS surely knows where it is in real time for other purposes eg triggering Homelink devices so it would be little extra overhead for us to have usable access to that data.

My experience with geofence in the iPhone is that it can be very slow to recognise that it is in or out of the fenced area. This is to save battery life: real time position checking flattens the battery in a few hours.

The MS surely knows where it is in real time for other purposes eg triggering Homelink devices so it would be little extra overhead for us to have usable access to that data.

Are you the same simonog of the homeseer forums? If so, you been using snevl's plugin to determine location?

Are you the same simonog of the homeseer forums? If so, you been using snevl's plugin to determine location?
Yes, well spotted! I used the snevl PI for a while until I moved to HS3 last year. I now use Paul Huddlestone's PI which was done in consultation with snevl.

actually, I want to track the car more than my phone - and the power drain as a percentage of the car battery to do so accurately is negligible whereas it's a heavy drain on an iPhone I found.

i am starting to think what an interface of HS to a model S might offer..... Any thoughts?