Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
visibletesla.com

FYI, a while back I picked up the domains visibletesla.com and visibletesla.org. Until now they have just been redirects to dropbox.

I finally got around to actually hosting the documentation up there and having a "welcome" page that points to the docs, gives a little background, and provides contact info.

The docs are now at docs.visibletesla.com which is the same as visibletesla.com/Documentation

The main page is visibletesla.com

Joe

FYI, a while back I picked up the domains visibletesla.com and visibletesla.org. Until now they have just been redirects to dropbox.

I finally got around to actually hosting the documentation up there and having a "welcome" page that points to the docs, gives a little background, and provides contact info.

The docs are now at docs.visibletesla.com which is the same as visibletesla.com/Documentation

The main page is visibletesla.com

Great site, just as your excellent app! Thank you!

Joe,

I upgraded a few days back and wanted to note that 0.27 seems to be working really well for me. The once-per-launch streaming limitation I was having previously seems to be completely eliminated. Sometimes I miss the first part of the trip, which I think from the documentation means VT was daydreaming. I also occasionally have gaps in the stream where I know I didn't stop. I'm going to check to see if these correspond to cellular dead zones. Otherwise, everything else is great.

I also love the preference to stream, if possible, even when not on the location tab. Sometimes I forget, but want this data logged to file anyway.

Great update. Thanks again.

So, after some further investigation, the gaps in my streams do not seem to correlate directly with areas of bad reception. On one round-trip I had streaming data on the way out but not the way back. I drove back to the location and had full signal strength according to the dash. Perhaps there's some other reason it would stop, but wanted to mention it.

Sorry if this is a repeat of elsewhere but I did try to find it in the docs and this thread. I got this notification this am:

"Scheduler Activity: Awake (66.3): succeeded "

What does the 66.3 mean? Its not % of charge so not sure what it could be.

That should not be part of the message. I sent you a PM with some questions to help me diagnose.

--- Updated ---

With further input from @tliving I have found the source of the problem. If you are seeing this odd notification message, you can safely ignore the number in parens. I will clean this up in the next release.

Last edited:
Weird. I just restarted the app after setting the preferences to "Load All Data". The Graph Tab takes a loooong time to load (I've got a lot of data), but once it does, the Graph is still quite zippy. When I had performance problems with the Graph Tab in the past it was due to lots of garbage collections being triggered. I modified the JavaFX code fairly substantially to try to avoid this. It's possible that you're on the edge of available memory in the Java VM and consequently its still doing lots of garbage collection. If you're adventurous you could run the app from the command line and specify a larger heap size:
java -Xmx1500m -jar VisibleTesla.jar
It would be interesting to know if that makes a difference.

It looks like I may need to set up a laptop at TMC Connect to debug people's problems in real time :)

My VisibleTesla app has become almost completely unresponsive now unless I run it using this command line. I suspect it's stored too much data for the Graphs page to handle. Unfortunately this seems to have some annoying side-effects. I have to keep the command prompt window open or the application closes. Also running it like this the graphs seem to have disappeared altogether.

I notice a thread where some people mentioning that their phone app stopped connecting to retrieve data in the past few days, so I thought I would mention something that happened to me last night.
Background: I was charging at a charger close to my house and monitoring it using VT so I could retrieve my car before the parking lot was locked up for the night. of course if it were done charging earlier I would be able to get to sleep earlier, instead of waiting...
When I checked my VT it showed that I still had 1 1/2 hours left to charge. odd, since my earlier estimates said the charge should be complete at that time.
I waited until the parking lot closure time (midnight) to retrieve my car even though VT indicated I was 30 miles short of a full charge.
When I arrived at my car I was happily greeted with a full (90%) charge, but that didn't agree with my VT indications.
I exported the logs to Excel and found that VT had stopped receiving data earlier in the evening. My estimates on charging completion were accurate, but for some reason VT was unable to retrieve that data from the Tesla servers. this is probably what the phone app users experienced.
the good news is that I was able to trouble shoot VT to find the problem.
the bad new is that Tesla's servers seem to be going down for brief periods lately. (but good news if they are updating the servers.)

My VisibleTesla app has become almost completely unresponsive now unless I run it using this command line. I suspect it's stored too much data for the Graphs page to handle. Unfortunately this seems to have some annoying side-effects. I have to keep the command prompt window open or the application closes. Also running it like this the graphs seem to have disappeared altogether.

A few options to consider:
  1. Go to Prefs and choose to load less data (e.g. last 14 days)
  2. Use Make_Windows_Shortcut.vbs as described in the FAQ. It will put an icon on your desktop that uses the vtrunner.bat file which uses a similar command line. When you double click the icon that it creates, you'll see a command prompt window flash up and disappear immediately. The app will launch shortly thereafter.
  3. There is a bug in the Graph Tab which can prevent it form displaying in certain circumstances. Loading lots of data makes it more likely for the problem to arise. This is on my list to fix, but probably won't happen until I'm back in the country in about 1.5 weeks.

Joe

A few options to consider:
  1. Go to Prefs and choose to load less data (e.g. last 14 days)
  2. Use Make_Windows_Shortcut.vbs as described in the FAQ. It will put an icon on your desktop that uses the vtrunner.bat file which uses a similar command line. When you double click the icon that it creates, you'll see a command prompt window flash up and disappear immediately. The app will launch shortly thereafter.
  3. There is a bug in the Graph Tab which can prevent it form displaying in certain circumstances. Loading lots of data makes it more likely for the problem to arise. This is on my list to fix, but probably won't happen until I'm back in the country in about 1.5 weeks.

Joe

Did all of the above, working great. Thanks!

Love the app and use it all the time.

A future enhancement request:
Summary: Email notification if VisibleTesla cannot reach Tesla

Detailed Rationale: The other day when Tesla was down, I didn't get my scheduled morning charge. I was fine, since I didn't need to be topped off, but there are circumstances where that could cause someone an issue and an email could ensure that they manually do whatever is needed since the schedule doesn't work.

I am getting the 'Exception while running application'

I have removed previous and installed the latest Java
attached a screen shot of the error

Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• Visible Tesla.jpg
    Visible Tesla.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 607
I have a question that may have been asked before
but I just cant get myself to read through 1100 posts.
Is there a way to have visibletesla notify me at say 8pm if my car is not plugged in?

Thanks for an awesome app

No need to read 1100 posts. Read the documentation:

The Scheduler Tab

Look for "Unplugged" under commands in the table near the bottom.

You'll also need to set your email preferences in the preferences tab.

Let us know if you need more info.

[Edit: It fixed itself, so no worries anymore, thanks]

Anyone else having problems logging in the last few days? My credentials, double checked working on the Tesla website and the iPhone app, continue to give a "Login Failed" error in Visible Tesla.

Last edited:
No issues here. Given the silence I suspect it's not widespread and may be just temporary. Check if your iPhone app works from the same (home?) network. I've had that before when my login from my home IP address was blocked by Tesla.

No need to read 1100 posts. Read the documentation:

The Scheduler Tab

Look for "Unplugged" under commands in the table near the bottom.

You'll also need to set your email preferences in the preferences tab.

Let us know if you need more info.
Heh, I was looking for a little programming project, remembered this app and was figuring to add a scheduler... and there it is!

Thanks!

I've been in Europe for the last 10 days (on the plane home now) and got a "leaving home" notification, followed by a "speed exceeded" notification, followed by a "arrived home" notification. My wife thought it was hilarious that I could see her joy ride. I was surprised that it was the first one in 10 days :)