Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice commands not recognized

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty frequently, my voice recognition does nothing at all (beeps, icon turn green, but it acts like I said nothing), that is highly frustrating. But when it does work mine does pretty well.
I have this issue to. Seemed to happen 2 updates ago, so I think it‘s a software bug. But for me sometimes it works, sometimes not, so I haven’t taken it in for service yet. And I can fix it with a reboot. But very frustrating because it will just go out randomly.

Reactions: Aellinsar
When I picked up my model 3 today, initially voice recognition did nearly nothing. If I attempted to navigate by text, I got some odd notification akin to "offline mode".

Bottom line--my connectivity was not active. This seems really odd to me, but apparently Tesla voice recognition relies in considerable measure on real-time access to resources outside the car.

So if your voice recognition works sometimes, and not others, consider the possibility that it might be a connectivity problem. I think the base connectivity in the cars relies on one or more of the major cell-phone networks--and they all have some holes in their coverage.

Bottom line--my connectivity was not active. This seems really odd to me, but apparently Tesla voice recognition relies in considerable measure on real-time access to resources outside the car.
This is the case with most devices that have voice recognition. The actual voice recognition is being done on a server somewhere in the cloud, not on your phone, TV, Alexa, smart assistant, or Tesla.