Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volunteering to Help with Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where would one park at MDR area?

Buena Park if they need a hand is quite tight on parking down in that area.

Burbank has the grocery store and Ikea

So, on Sunday they let me valet park underground at Marina Del Rey. But today the valets said they’re short on room and preferred I park behind the building, inside the gate. A Tesla employee was there directing some of the chaos as there were three car carrier trucks unloading in that area, but he was so happy to hear I was a volunteer and said no problem to park in the rear. There’s a security guy there and he got to know me through out the day as I came and went from my car, and it was a piece of cake. I’d recommend to ask any of the Tesla employees where you should park since it’s changing day by day, and if having issues ask the delivery manager Hermine, she’s awesome.

I'm visiting LA short term but interesting in helping this weekend. Can someone share the info from TeslaClubLA? Thanks!

Yes- i just emailed with TeslaClubLA and got their permission to share the info from their email. Here’s a copy/paste of their email if it helps anyone. I wouldn’t worry about contacting TeslaClubLA to volunteer if you’re not already a member, just use this guidance and use good judgment.

Email:

Dear TeslaClubLA members,
Thank you for the great response in assisting the delivery centers with owner orientations. In addition to the Marina Del Ray delivery center, the Burbank Delivery center has said they'd also love our assistance.
Both delivery centers can use volunteers this week during the week from 8am-6pm and over the weekend from 8am-9pm. They have requested that volunteers show up in groups so that the staff can explain the process just once and not several times. You can spend as little or as much time as you like assisting with the delivery process. If you would like to assist new owners with their delivery experience at the Marina Del Ray or Burbank delivery center, please reply back to this e-mail with the following information and we will let you know which time slots are available. If you previously replied for the Marina Del Ray service center, we already have you on the list. Thank you for being a club member willing to help new owners join the Tesla family (and the club)!
Info needed to give you a timeslot:
  • Your name and contact phone number
  • Your availability this week (Wednesday thru Sunday)
  • Which Tesla's you feel comfortable talking to new owners about (S, 3 or X)
  • Which delivery center you'd like to assist at - Marina Del Ray or Burbank
There are a few guidelines that Tesla has asked us to follow to make the delivery experience better.

1. Carpool if possible or park further away from the delivery center to make space for deliveries
  2. Please dress appropriately for this type of event. Tesla branded shirts/gear are encouraged. Club Members must be clearly identified as club members and not Tesla employees.
  3. Club Members have a specific role: to assist with orientation of the car once all legal/sales documentation is complete
  4. On-site management will inform employees which existing owners are Club members and what they are responsible for
  5. Club Members must not assist with any paperwork, transaction details, or moving vehicle, but should circulate and answer questions engage owners if there is downtime between orientation
  6. The ultimate goal for Club Members attending these events is to ensure customers taking delivery feel safe and confident with the operation of their vehicle once they’re ready to leave
Take lots of pictures and post to our TeslaClubLA Facebook page. Thank you in advance for your help!

--

The TeslaClubLA Team

My 3 is to be delivered Friday but it is paid for (Tx).
So I showed up at the Cedar Springs service/delivery center Monday morning with a dozen donuts. The donuts were a hit with the service guys and somewhat with the front office.
Several had not heard of the 'program' and did not know what to do with me. The nearest person to a boss told me that the North Texas Tesla Owners Club had been advised to stand down until needed which would probably be Fri or Sat.
The employees doing deliveries seemed the most appreciative. I visited with several customers and even helped with a few deliveries. It is an interesting experience. You are not the company and not the customer and don't want to get between them. So I mostly listened and answered questions. I probably learned as much as I informed. One customer had his delivery rescheduled something like 5 times. His car was there Monday but it had some body and dirt issues. The only body issues I saw. He was still there when I left around 7pm. I hope he was able to get everything straightened out. The other deliveries were pretty straight forward.

As to the stand down, it was couched this way: If we need help we'll contact the club. Well they already have the deliveries scheduled so they know how many there will be. By now they know how many is a lot and how many is a few so they know how busy they will be. Why wait to ask the club? BTW it is Wed now and I have not heard anything. My conclusion is that they will not be calling or they would have by now. Still I will probably show up Fri before my delivery time and see what is going on. Maybe I'll get an early delivery.

Fremont volunteers -
I was a volunteer for Saturday and Sunday. We are not needed again until Thursday 10 AM or 5 PM and again on Friday at the same times. Definitely needed again this weekend all day Saturday and Sunday.

The weekend was really fun explaining everything from how all the screens work to how to plan a trip with stops coordinated with charging.

Most surprising was an elderly gentleman that had traded in an old Datsun and had trouble believing he would never put gas in his Model 3. He took 2 hours of my time, but by far the most rewarding customer I helped.
I can volunteer this Saturday morning, do I just show up at the Fremont delivery center?

I went in early today. My delivery was scheduled for 3:45PM. I had some other volunteer work (food bank) so I got there ~9:30. The dozen donuts I brought were much appreciated by the Techs. I spent some time listening and talking to customers. Especially when it got pretty busy. At one point, they were addressing the whole waiting room full of customers rather than talking to them individually. Pretty efficient.

As far as volunteering, I have been to several post tornado cleanup sites. I work at the food bank 5 times a month and four times a month at my church. I volunteer because I choose to. If you don't want to, then don't. But don't try to export your feelings to others.

There were SO MANY owner volunteers at the Fremont facility yesterday, sounded like they were delivering 400 vehicles. Lots of opportunities to help show people their new cars. Shocking how many questions new owners have. There was still not a policy in place for how to help. Some employees would connect you with their customer's, others wondered who you are and why you are talking the THEIR customer.

Lots of fun, lots of stories. Today's the last day of the quarter! Go volunteer

-Randy

You know I wonder - just shot this out from my Twitter account. I mean if they have such big issues with deliveries (shipping logistics). Why not offer something like the message below? I bet easily 3-7% of US customers would love a trip to California and drive back in their new vehicle.
From @Iluvpcs

@elonmusk @tesla Have you considered saving your shipping / travel costs and offer something similar to an European delivery program? Give customers something like 1% back of car price in cash (or loaded credit card) with pickup in Fremont?

CA is a hard place to buy a car and take it home. One pays a lot of sales tax just for the luxury of getting it there. I think Tesla could work something out with the state to allow this and not tax out of state owners but it isn’t in place yet.