Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volvo XC40 EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, volvo released images of the frunk, so that's confirmed.

I've had a Model S, now have a Model X. Next, I really really want either a Rivian R1T or a tesla truck, but I'll probably settle for a Model Y. I won't rule out the XC40 though but it has to be very close or beat the Y in range and performance for me to get one.

Tesla has the advantage now with the supercharging network, so legacy manufacturers need to come up with better products before they are going to pull any current tesla owners away...

Folks on the Volvo boards are saying no frunk as well. Some of the technical drawings somewhat show this as well (but who knows?). I’m a long time Volvo fan and owner (2016 V60 Platinum, 2016 XC90 Inscription, 2018 XC60 Inscription) but, sorry, after spending some time in a 2019 Model X, I can’t go back. Hence my Model Y pre order. Yeah, not as “fancy” and my past Volvo’s, but the tech makes up for it. I guess I can live without the Bowers & Wilkins sound and software updates I now have to pay for....

Looks like the XC40 is going with Android Auto.... hopefully, they also have Apple car play as well as I've seen several manufacturers offering both. It would be kind of strange for Volvo to go all-in on Android Auto based on that user base they are targetting.....

would much rather an all electric v90. ...

Ideally, I would prefer an XC90 as well. Volvo plans on having 50% of their portfolio in EVs by 2025 so maybe that includes an SUV similar to the XC90.

More correctly they are going with Android Automotive, which is an infotainment OS. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are applications that could potentially run on top, although there wouldn't be much of a reason to run Android Auto on top.

Reactions: m3supra
Anyone have extended experience with Pilot assist? I've been watching videos of it on youtube, but can't really deduce how close it is to basic AP. I've been told by friends that the Hyundai/Kias driver-assist suite is quite comparable to AP.

AP has spoiled my family and it would be hard to go back...

Anyone have extended experience with Pilot assist? I've been watching videos of it on youtube, but can't really deduce how close it is to basic AP. I've been told by friends that the Hyundai/Kias driver-assist suite is quite comparable to AP.

I don't like Hyundai's customer service/dealers (adversarial when it comes to warranty repairs) .

Also only their mega suvs have 3 rows not the Niro/kona. On the + side they're cheap

Pilot Assist in my wife’s 2018 XC60 isn’t as good as AP in my Model 3. It is pretty comparable to basic AP on the highway, but unlike AP it doesn’t slow down for corners and can be a little slow to react to sharp bends if used on regular streets. While it may not be as good as AP, it’s still good enough.

Yes, about three years of experience with Pilot Assist between my 2016 XC90 and 2018 XC60. It’s “ok” on highways and simple roads. Disengagement’s are random and frequent.

Apparently, the 2019/2020 Volvo’s use “Pilot Assist w/navi” where the system uses navigation data to better guide the car through turns. People on swedespeed seem to agree that the new system is better than the old one, saying it does a better job of keeping the lane.

Volvo does implement software updates (not OTA, you have to go to the dealer, and now apparently they are charging a fee for this, it used to be free whenever you came in for service, or complained about a glitch or bug (“Sensus keeps freezing up”). Hopefully with the new Android OS, OTA updates will be present.

Their software updates do change the way Pilot Assist behaves. Whatever software I’m on now from March of this year seems to have changed Pilot Assist for the worse. It’s constantly disengaging, and behaves unexpectedly sometimes. Disappointing, especially since I have to wait for a service visit to see if the new software update will improve anything, and it might not.

Volvo is using Mobile Eye EyeQ 3 in these cars, so given what Tesla did with the same tech, Volvo has a long way to go to catch up with AP1 at this point.

Pilot Assist in my wife’s 2018 XC60 isn’t as good as AP in my Model 3. It is pretty comparable to basic AP on the highway, but unlike AP it doesn’t slow down for corners and can be a little slow to react to sharp bends if used on regular streets. While it may not be as good as AP, it’s still good enough.

That is concerning as my older vehicles with adaptive cruise got dicey when approaching curved higways.

Yes, about three years of experience with Pilot Assist between my 2016 XC90 and 2018 XC60. It’s “ok” on highways and simple roads. Disengagement’s are random and frequent.

Apparently, the 2019/2020 Volvo’s use “Pilot Assist w/navi” where the system uses navigation data to better guide the car through turns. People on swedespeed seem to agree that the new system is better than the old one, saying it does a better job of keeping the lane.

Volvo does implement software updates (not OTA, you have to go to the dealer, and now apparently they are charging a fee for this, it used to be free whenever you came in for service, or complained about a glitch or bug (“Sensus keeps freezing up”). Hopefully with the new Android OS, OTA updates will be present.

Their software updates do change the way Pilot Assist behaves. Whatever software I’m on now from March of this year seems to have changed Pilot Assist for the worse. It’s constantly disengaging, and behaves unexpectedly sometimes. Disappointing, especially since I have to wait for a service visit to see if the new software update will improve anything, and it might not.

Volvo is using Mobile Eye EyeQ 3 in these cars, so given what Tesla did with the same tech, Volvo has a long way to go to catch up with AP1 at this point.

Thanks for your insight. The supply chain oriented legacy automakers is what's concerning me going forward because I've also dealt with BMW charging for stuff for nav updates. It will be interesting to see if legacy automakers adapt and offer free OTAs or continue to see it as a revenue source. With supposedly less maintenance on BEVs, I'm thinking they continue to squeeze every dollar out during service.

I'm starting to lean a bit more towards a Rivian R1S as they also seem to have a more tech company approach. Hopefully, they learn from Tesla, both good and bad.

Volvo currently do free OTA (WiFi) updates of apps and map data, our XC60 gets them regularly, but I think system software updates still require a dealer visit.

Correct. If you’re crafty, you can buy the VIDA cable, get a 3 day VIDA subscription for like $75.00 and do the updates yourself. These updates are large, and take a while to load onto the vehicle. The vehicle has to be put on a battery tender while the update is being done, if the 12v battery drops below a certain voltage, the update fails and can brick some modules. People have done it at home with success. Your still paying for it anyway you cut it.