Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vomit smell when starting air conditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly, today, my a/c vomit smell is gone without doing anything. The weather is less hot today, maybe that has something to do with this. I have a Tesla Service appointment in 2 weeks about this, and afraid my problem will not be able to be replicated.

Interestingly, today, my a/c vomit smell is gone without doing anything. The weather is less hot today, maybe that has something to do with this. I have a Tesla Service appointment in 2 weeks about this, and afraid my problem will not be able to be replicated.

It won’t need to be. They will just pull the filters, spray in anti mold and mildew goo, reinstall filters and your gone.

Brought my Model 3 in today for service appointment. It appears that the vomit smell occurs when the outside Temperature gets to around 90 degress or higher.
They took it in and "fixed" it by flushing the a/c tubes with something, but serviceman said that the latest update should have fixed this issue.
Now it smells like perfume air with a hint of vomit. They didn't charge me.

Brought my Model 3 in today for service appointment. It appears that the vomit smell occurs when the outside Temperature gets to around 90 degress or higher.
They took it in and "fixed" it by flushing the a/c tubes with something, but serviceman said that the latest update should have fixed this issue.
Now it smells like perfume air with a hint of vomit. They didn't charge me.

I find it hard to believe someone told you a “software update” would fix what appears to be a physical design issue. :eek: Anyone else get told that by the SC? My M3 is five weeks old, and on occasion, I get a faint whiff of sun-baked vomit already. :(

I find it hard to believe someone told you a “software update” would fix what appears to be a physical design issue. :eek: Anyone else get told that by the SC? My M3 is five weeks old, and on occasion, I get a faint whiff of sun-baked vomit already. :(

One thing I've heard helps (at least in other cars) is to turn off the air conditioning a few minutes before parking. Helps keep the condensation from sitting in the system.

My understanding was that is what the software update is supposed to do. Run fan-only for some time after you leave the car.

I think I read that a software update was supposed to keep the fan on for a couple of minutes after the car shuts down in order to dry up any condensation in the lines and prevent the mildew buildup.

Just about all of my cars have had this issue. Fortunately for me, I don't find the smell offensive at all, so I don't worry about it. It clears up in a minute or so, and as long as the air blows cold I'm happy. :) In fact, my Model S is the first car I can recall owning that didn't have this odor.

yep that's what they told me. Even though they cleaned the hvac vents, I still smell a faint vomit smell unfortunately.

2019-07-31_17-17-40.jpg

yep that's what they told me. Even though they cleaned the hvac vents, I still smell a faint vomit smell unfortunately.

View attachment 436265

Wow, thanks for sharing. That “fix” seems odd as I thought the ax will run when off for dogs mode, “leave climate control on,” interior protection feature, etc. Doesn’t make sense to me, but that’s okay. Thanks again. :)

Update: Less than 1 week after service cleaned my hvac vents, the vomit smell continues and smells pretty much the same as before. It only happens when the outside temperature is hot (>90F). The smell goes away after about 2 minutes of A/C which I can tolerate but it is embarrassing when driving guests in such a nice car. Oh well. I might try the home self-fix others have posted to see if this makes things better.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
Update: Less than 1 week after service cleaned my hvac vents, the vomit smell continues and smells pretty much the same as before. It only happens when the outside temperature is hot (>90F). The smell goes away after about 2 minutes of A/C which I can tolerate but it is embarrassing when driving guests in such a nice car. Oh well. I might try the home self-fix others have posted to see if this makes things better.

On my ICE cars of years past, when this happened, I would find the air intake (usually outside or access to the inside one behind the glove box), then I would run the fans full bore (no AC) and spray in a 1/2 can of Lysol. That would kill all mold in the entire HVAC system. I'm sure Tesla only cleaned the filter box, which is probably why your vomit smell returned so quickly.

Does anyone know where the air intake is (outside and in) on the Model 3? This remedy was well known in years past. Always worked for me and one "Treatment" usually lasted an entire summer season. YMMV.

On my ICE cars of years past, when this happened, I would find the air intake (usually outside or access to the inside one behind the glove box), then I would run the fans full bore (no AC) and spray in a 1/2 can of Lysol. That would kill all mold in the entire HVAC system. I'm sure Tesla only cleaned the filter box, which is probably why your vomit smell returned so quickly.

Does anyone know where the air intake is (outside and in) on the Model 3? This remedy was well known in years past. Always worked for me and one "Treatment" usually lasted an entire summer season. YMMV.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I will try anything, as long as someone is able to show a step-by-step on how to do this in the model 3...

Here's instructions on the Lysol method from another thread:
ac odor smell

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc